PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise?

lee db
28-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi peeps,

i have a question about the engine sound on the Galant V6 24V, i know, form reading on here, that the tappets always make a sound as the car warms up, but mine seem to be lasting longer, i know the obvious thing is to check the oil level, which i will be doing later.

the other thing i have noticed is that when i accelerate, from a low gear, there is a sort of metallic rattling sound, i have only really just noticed it, more so when the window is down and i pass something that echos back the sound, just wondering if it is anything to worry about, i am going to get her serviced in the next couple of weeks anway, but like i said just wondering if it is serious?

thanks guys :iloveyou:

:happy:

ANTHONY
28-06-2008, 04:34 PM
maybe just and oil chenge and a good flush is needed with amsoil

lee db
28-06-2008, 04:36 PM
what difference does the amsoil make? i see its a popular choice on here, will i have to ask at them at the service to use that?

thanks for the reply :)

Nick Mann
28-06-2008, 08:47 PM
The tapping is often because the oil channels are blocked either in the hydraulic lifter itself, or in the channels to/from it.

Decent oil will clog less, lowering lifter noise. Exceptional oil will also clean whilst it lubricates, sometimes reversing clogging.

Hope that completely non-technical explanation helps! No doubt someone else ould explain the oils better.

lee db
28-06-2008, 09:10 PM
ahh, that does make more sense to a car idiot like me! lol, do i take it the amsoil is one of the best you can use?

i really want to get it sorted out, it is quite annoying!

bradc
28-06-2008, 09:19 PM
How long since you've changed the oil? I've never had it from my ST-R and it went 12000km between changes!

lee db
28-06-2008, 11:28 PM
well i have only had the car for about 5 or 6 weeks so i haven't done it yet, planning a service in the next couple of weeks so i hope thats all it is

Nick Mann
28-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Amsoil is one of the best oils on the market. Search for reviews - it never does badly, and often out performs all cometition. You also get to use the club discount!

Subaru ETA
29-06-2008, 03:38 AM
everyone has covered the tappet noise already but as for your metallic noise when accelerating from low gear that would be the engine "pinking". this can be caused by too low octane fuel or incorrect plug gaps. what octane do you run it on?

elnevio
29-06-2008, 06:57 AM
everyone has covered the tappet noise already but as for your metallic noise when accelerating from low gear that would be the engine "pinking". this can be caused by too low octane fuel or incorrect plug gaps. what octane do you run it on?
It's a V6 and the lowest RON over here is 95 - so this shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe the metallic noise could be a loose heat shield, which is only reverberating at low revs?

Subaru ETA
29-06-2008, 07:31 AM
could be a heat shield but could also be incorrect plug gap causing pinking

Nick Mann
29-06-2008, 08:33 AM
It could also be a badly worn gearbox input shaft, if its a manual. It's a tricky thing to diagnose sounds without being able to hear them.

lee db
29-06-2008, 07:48 PM
i have an auto, so hope its not the gearbox, as for fuel, i use standard sometimes, and high octane others, just sometimes have to choose the cheaper option, is the heat shield option an easy fix? and the sparks?
do you know of anyone around my way that can have a look/listen willing to pay etc, just like a real car persons opinion and not some money maker at the garage!

sorry i haven't replied sooner, i set up to be notified of responses, but it seems to have stopped! lol!

lee db
29-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Nick,
thanks for the heads up about the oil, how do i go about getting it and using the card? also is it easy enough to flush out and refill myself, i am a real car noob so appreciate the help and advice! lol

cheers

lee

ANTHONY
29-06-2008, 07:55 PM
will i have to ask at them at the service to use that?
you will probably have to get amsoil yourself as its not available off the shelf in auto shops or garages except EUROSPEC.

lee you can get it from here.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13815