PDA

View Full Version : Boom Bang!...

BraindG
08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
...that was the sound of my hearth this morning.
Jumped into car reversed out of garage and jumped out to close door..
glug, glug stop.. huh, the car just died..
jumped back in, started it pressed acc and it died..
6 times i did this, alternately pressing acc, then just leaving it.. but she kept dying..

nearly started to cry, so i ran into the house.... I was about to phone for taxi (was late for work) about 10 minutes later, after smoking a fag nervously i scuppered to the car, jumped in and started it - this time i kept running on idle. 5 minutes later i braved pressing the acc and it revved ok.. reversed car out of drive and got to work without any further hiccups...

any ideas what that might have been?

Grinder
08-03-2004, 12:19 PM
I hate things like this - you start to lose confidence in the car.

My first thought is something in the injector - needs some injector cleaner going through. But could be on the electrical side, maybe dampness - are your HT leads in good condition?

See what the experts say.

Nick VR4
08-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Maybe some crap going through pump ????

The HT lead would have only made it lumpy unless it was the main one to the coil :thinking::thinking:

BraindG
08-03-2004, 02:06 PM
well, inaddition to this, and the shakey feeling when driving, and the loud knock when i reverse and stop and the vibrating noise when reving at around 4k + it also doesnt feel like it has the power it should, but that might be cos im used to the boost controller, and its not plummed in atm... but the pick up just doesnt seem to be there... /sighs...

hopefully it will all be sorted for Japfest

Nick VR4
08-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Maybe it is your HT leads mate
causing it to miss either breaking down or not seated right with plugs or a plug or two is knackered

BraindG
08-03-2004, 02:25 PM
dave, what was it like when your plugs were dodgy?

enigma
08-03-2004, 02:36 PM
The engine sounds really rough, there is a put put noise from the exhaust and it generally sounds very unhappy. There will be a huge hole in the power, but this will be right through the rev range. As I have said before, pull the low tension wiring off each plug in turn.......if the sound of the engine is different for any one of the three coils then this is the one to focus on. Then all you need to do is pull the high tension side off that coil (with the ignition off!) and see if things are better or worse.......presto you have found the dodgy cylinder. You can bet it will be a back one though! Sods law!

Rally205
08-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Mine did exactly the same a couple of weeks ago. It wouldn't re-start at all though. The wife was using it at the time and she thought she had broken it. I cranked it over for about 30-40 seconds before it would start with my foot flat to the floor.
Only thing I could think of was that it was the cold start sytem flooding the engine momentarily and that was enough to get the plugs wet. :thinking:

BraindG
08-03-2004, 08:14 PM
ok - im an idiot!... one quick call to zedy, and the problems resolved!...

ok, we went to halfords to get Mrs BraindG a mountain bike.. we jump in car, turn key.. starts, and splutters then dies... did this several times (about six).. panic sets in, im not at home, howes the car gonna get home etc etc...

so, i call zedy, and let him listen....

Barry: can you hear it?.. its just spluttering /puts phone up to engine
Zedy: yeah, its nothing serious, doesnt sound like it!
Barry: Hmmm, wtf is it then /in a panicky voice..
Zedy: Barry?
Barry: yeah?
Zedy: did you sort that fuel pump wire?
Barry: A **** no, i didnt.
Zedy: check it
Barry: Gets lighter out and checks the fuel wire by the acc pedal
Zedy: is it still wired together?
Barry: no, the wires come off.. .. ok ill call you back
ring ring
Zedy: how you get on?
Barry: Listen!.. VROOM PTSHHH, VROOM PTSHH...

at that minute i went into halfords and got some male/female spades..

christ i can be so blonde sometimes..

enigma
08-03-2004, 08:21 PM
So no fuel???

Why did you cut the fuel wire anyway??

Kieran
08-03-2004, 08:22 PM
:lolz: :dunce:

:stupid:

Hehehe!

Good news really I guess! :-D

BraindG