PDA

View Full Version : think my a/t tranny is on it's way out

jpnvr4
01-07-2008, 05:56 PM
pass couple of days I haven't reall driven my car da misses has ... she came home 2day sayin it didn't feel rite and said I should check it ... sure enuff as soon as I started off there was like no power really being transfered 2 the wheels just lots of slippage and it kinda felt like when the silonoid went bad and I was stuck in 3rd gear ...
but this time I looked for a flashing N light ... not there
I have 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on ...
I'm stumped 2 what this could B ...I had sent pics of the rear diff having a slight leak but I don't tyhink that would affect the tranny ... I get power low til about 2 thousand rpm then it just slips it's way all the way 2 redline ...I've also notced a "clunck" sound in the rear like something moved outta plac or something ...I don't kno if this is enuff 2 give U guys an idea but any ideas would B good rite about now .. I miss da go peddle now .. and worst wonder if it's time 2 shell out da big bucks 4 a new tranny or a rebuild...
any help is welcome ..thnx

bradc
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah sounds like it is dieing! When I bought my COTY VR-4 it had the same issue, just got a new gearbox and all was good.

How much fluid is in the gearbox?

jpnvr4
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
should be full
it kinda raises past da full point when the car is warm....

elnevio
01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
should be full
it kinda raises past da full point when the car is warm....
Are you checking it correctly - i.e. cycle through the gears while the engine is running (P > R > N > D > 1 > 2 > 1 > D > N)? You need to check the level several times, as the design of the dipstick tube is a bit rubbish. And also repeat the whole thing several times! But you must read the level while the car is in Neutral and with the engine running.

jpnvr4
25-07-2008, 03:47 AM
ok ... took it 2 a mechanic friend of mines and he says it's not the clutch packs coz it's gripping.... but when it's in tip mode or if I floor it,at some point U hear a cluck in da back like da diff let go or sumfink.... man i really need 2 get this fixed... and most da mechanics here half finish work, while da otha half overcharge... i didn't mention my rear diff has been leakin fluid ?... dunno ..stressed out on this 1

Turbo_Steve
27-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Just a thought, but does it have the right fluid in it?
If it's the wrong fluid, (i.e. regular ATF) it'll slip about all over the place under power.

A clunk from the back sounds like maybe your AYC is trying to deal with something, but if the gearbox is spinning wheels at different rates then anything is possible.

Certainly what you describe sounds to me like incorrect fluid. Anyone of the more experienced members disagree, as I am speculating, here.