I'm looking toward getting a new hardtail. My long shortlist is as follows;

1. On-One Scandal with XT and Reba SL's
2. Gary Fisher Big Sur with XT/LX and F100 RL's
3. Merlin Malt 4 with XT and Reba SL's
4. Merlin Malt 2 Fox Edition with XT and F100 RL's
5. Rock Lobster 853 with XT and Reba SL's
6. Revolution Shadow Mountain with LX/XT and Marz Corsa LT's
7. Commencal Supernormal with X7/X9 and Reba SL's

All of the above bikes are £800 - £1000 and it'll be for Kate and I to share.

Some querstions I have, incase anyone can shed any light;
Whats the difference between the Merlin and Rock Lobster frames? (aluminium vs titanium?)
What are Reba SL's and Marzocchi Corsa LT's like? (I only have experience of Fox, Pace and Magura forks)

g6acb
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
wot no boardman

I-S
02-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Not enough info there...

What's the intended usage of the bike? What are the most important characteristics (eg weight vs comfort vs handling vs etc)?

A few comments:

1) Alu frames can feel relentless. They're very quick for racing, but you can feel beaten up afterwards. Scandium alleviates this to some degree.
2) 853 (steel) is a great material, but it must be used right. I've not heard bad things about the rock lobsters, but you might also want to look at the Voodoo Bizango (853) and Voodoo Wanga (more basic steel, but geometry from the king - Joe Murray).
3) Fox have developed a rep for not offering anything like the claimed travel, unless you were to drop off the empire state building. F100s will in routine riding give up about 75mm travel unless you have the sag set to almost 50%.
4) Rebas are good forks, although a tad flexier than the competition. Marzocchis are also good, although the range is somewhat confusing... Basically any fork from RS, Fox, Marz, DT Swiss and Magura is worth riding at the price. Manitou are to be avoided, and Spinner, X-fusion, Suntour etc aren't in the big league.
5) Merlin frames are their cheap stuff, while Rock lobster are the fancier.
6) If you intend to get any air on this bike, do not get the Gary Fisher - it's strictly an XC frame and the carbon stays are light and compliant, but not designed for flight.

WildCards
02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
The bike ios to bought through CycleScheme, which unfortunately doesn't include Halfords.

Basically, I want a race bike, something light and as close to a hardcore, super light, super stiff XC racer as money will permit. 80-100mm suspension, and known components that I can trust. The Supernormal is 24lbs, but I haven't the fogiest what the others weigh in at.

[EDIT] The F100 RL's are what I've got on the Meta, and TBH, they've been brilliant, I'd have no problem having them again on another bike. As are the Oro K18 brakes i've got, very happy to have them again.

I-S
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Ok. For hardcore racing bike at that price you can put steel out, so the rock lobster goes.

The revolution shadow looks a nice bike, as does the supernormal.

Also worth a look is the 2006 gary fisher Ziggurat, which there are a few of kicking about at £1100-£1200. This is what Chris rides - I don't know if you picked it up at all in wales, but it doesn't weigh anything. It's a scandium/carbon frame, F100RLs, very light bontrager wheels, X0 drivetrain and loads of carbon bling.

WildCards
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Not sure I want carbon TBH, I hadn't realised the Big Sur above had carbon, so that's most probably out.

I've never heard of the Revolution, so i'm wondering if it's a decent bike or just a 4. Whereas I know a few chaps with the Supernormals and they're reputed to be lightning quick. honestly, I reckon it's between the On-One and the Commie and that's only if Brant has got a really sharp pencil.

Ade, put in a good word for me please.

I-S
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Certainly looks a sensible build and can't argue with the weight. Of course, the other advantage is that you are used to commencal geometry and riding characteristics - not to be underestimated (and thus the reason I have the same brakes, handlebar, grips, bar ends, saddle and pedals as well as the same length cranks on both of my bikes).

Brake commonality is also a good thing because you don't need to keep different pads and spares.

With all of that in mind it seems pretty hard to beat the Commencal, regardless of the minutiae of specs.

richy rich
02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
This is for Kate to ride to work;
So why is it for the both of you it should be bought to suit her.

IE nice comfy seat, female frame.

DickBarton
02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Not much help but Pete has his red Big Sur about to go on the market. I'd also suggest Rock Shox than Fox - just as good but cheaper. Typing tthhis with a kid in myarms so will respond later when i have the other handfree.

Lillywotsername
02-07-2008, 06:51 PM
This is for Kate to ride to work;

The bike is to bought through CycleScheme

I would say so......

I agree.... If this is being bought with the money from Kate's "Ride to work scheme" then it should be bought with her in mind and not it Steve's ridability.

Typing tthhis with a kid in myarms so will respond later when i have the other handfree.

Man up and learn to multi task..... Ah dunna worry Hun, you will learn to do things one handed very soon.

g6acb
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Not had any experence of any of your shortlist, the only other one I would throw into the mix is http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/LTD-RACE_id_21016_.htm#anker

Although can't help thinking your 2 requirements are a bit at odds with each other - the stiffer and steeper a frame for XC racing will make for a more uncomfortable cruise to work and if its Kate mainly using it give up a bit of controll and let her decide!! /Nuuu

Alltough if I had to pick one I'd have the Commoncal rather than any relation to an On-One Chavbred anytime

No sway with Brant at all Steve he doesn't know me from adam, - The chap who ploughs cash into Planet X is too busy with his garage anyway /toycar

WildCards
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
It's not for Kate to ride to work, she's got a perfectly good bike for that. For the last 3 weeks I've been trying to get her interested in a WSD full bounce (Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD) so she can come out and play, but she's not interested.

As kate and I are virtually the same bike size, she can use the Meta if she does decide she wants to ride anything more rugged than a fireroad and i'll ride the hardtail.

ETA - i've managed to try some Reba's and I don't like em, so i'm on for the Gary Fisher I think.

Paul Beazer
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
IIRC cube bikes have a bit of a wierd geometry setup. Good spec, but very "eruo".