PDA

View Full Version : How to give my Avance V6 more Power?

WeVo
04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi @ all,

i'm a german galant crazy guy.
First time i want to convert my Avance V6 to a VR4, but my personal situation send this aim far away in the future.

But before i could reach my aim, i want to perform my galant avance V6 to give him more power then yet. But how?

Turbo/'s yes nice but too much money.
Exhaust, perhaps.
Chip / ECU Tuning, of course.

So my question is, in which ways could i peform or could i give my V6 more power then yet? But think of, due to my personal situation i must save my money :D

So thanks a lot and hear your advice.

Cheers...

Markus

bradc
04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
The JDM cars make 128.5kw, the Euro Spec ones make 121kw or 118kw I beleive. That woud imply to me that you getting an ecu would see some gains. A properly designed exhaust system including manifolds would help out quite a bit as well. I found that with mine a Ralliart panel filter in the stock air box help out quite a bit, especially at the top end.

Kieran
05-07-2008, 02:05 AM
The JDM cars make 128.5kw, the Euro Spec ones make 121kw or 118kw I beleive. That woud imply to me that you getting an ecu would see some gains. A properly designed exhaust system including manifolds would help out quite a bit as well. I found that with mine a Ralliart panel filter in the stock air box help out quite a bit, especially at the top end.

The reason why the JDM V6 is more powerful is because Jap exhaust regulations are more concerned with NOx emissions than CO2 - So they can be tuned more aggressively. I'm not sure what the emissions laws are in Germany but I don't think ECU changes are worth it.

However Brad is spot on about the exhaust system & air intake. I used to own a V6 Sport (same as the German Avance) and a good exhaust and a sports cat (or decat if you want;) ) gives a good gain in power. A panel filter is a good mod too - But keep the standard airbox - Cone filters just loose power.

WeVo
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your posts!
The Power of my Avance is 118 KW.

The next question is, where can i buy the tuning parts, because Ralliart Germany only sells Tuning parts for an evo.

So where could i get the ecu the panel filter etc.

What do you think about sport brake discs. Because i must change my original break discs.

Thanks!

cheers

Markus

Kieran
05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Markus,

We have the same problem in the UK with the V6. There's not many 'off the shelf' parts for them.

For exhausts, we get them custom made. In the UK there are lots of places that will build a custom exhaust. The average cost is around £300.

As for air filter, your local K&N dealer should be able to help - This is the filter you need:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2794

Sport brake discs are a good idea - But be careful. Grooved discs are fine, but discs that are drilled can crack when they get hot. If you are upgrading to sport break discs, get a good set of sports brake pads too - This will give you quite a bit more stopping power.

WeVo
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi,

thanks i will look where i could by the k&n filter.

Here are some sport brakepads
http://cgi.ebay.de/Sport-Bremsbelaege-Mitsubishi-Colt-GTI-Eclipse-Galant_W0QQitemZ360066001240QQihZ023QQcategoryZ574 03QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here are the discs but drilled.
http://cgi.ebay.de/SPORT-BREMSSCHEIBEN-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-ZIMMERMANN-ABE_W0QQitemZ120277804262QQihZ002QQcategoryZ57414Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think about them.

Do you know where i could by a tuning ecu (in german called a tuning chip) ?

WeVo
07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Kieran,

it would be very nice if you could answer my questions...
Thx

Markus

Kieran
07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Sorry Markus - My bad! /pan

Okay the discs - I don't know much about Zimmerman discs - I don't think they're sold in the UK. I would advise you get grooved discs though. Drilled discs do tend to crack as I've mentioned.

As for the pads - Well, I see they have a maximum temperature of 650 degrees. This is a good start and is about right for a sport/fast road pad. However, what that advert doesn't show is a friction coefficent, and that makes it difficult to say if the pad is any good or not.

Let me explain - All pads have a temperature range and a amount of 'bite'. What you need is a good level of 'bite' (called the friction coefficient) over a wide temperature range so that the pads stop well when cold and also resist fade when they're hot.

So - A standard pad usually has a friction coefficient of 0.3 and a working range of 100 - 450/500 degrees - So they don't have a great deal of stopping power and they'll quickly overheat on a trackday.

Typical Sports pads (Such as Ferodo DS2500s, EBC 'Greenstuff', Mintex 1144, Tarox Rallye, etc) Have a friction coefficient of around 0.4 and a working range of 200-660 degrees. This means that they'll feel a little 'numb' untll they've warmed up, but once warm they stop harder and last longer before they fade.

So - what you need in a fast road pad is something with a good friction level over a good temperature range. Maybe see if the seller has the data you need?

As for ECUs... In the UK we've had a couple of V6s tested on the dyno and they're pretty well mapped from the factory - You get a nice AFR graph of about 12:1 at full throttle, so nobody's bothered chipping them because it's doubtful that you'd get a lot of power from them. Now, if you had an exhaust, intake and then you had stuff like camshafts, ported heads and such you might get more gains - but again, there's nothing like that available that we know of.

Hope this helps!

WeVo
11-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi,

thanks for your reply.
I have ordered the K&N Airfilter. http://cgi.ebay.de/K-N-Sportluftfilter-Mitsubishi-Galant-2-0i-2-5i-33-2794_W0QQitemZ110269265843QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36680 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp16 38Q2em118Q2el1247
I think this is the right one.

About the brake discs & pads i have send an email to the guy who sells the parts by ebay and i have asked him for grooved discs an about the friction coefficient of the pads or do you know a shop where i could buy the pads & discs.

And anything else to peform the v6 exepting an exhaust?
Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Markus

WeVo
18-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi,

today i got my new airfilter nice :) !
I have seen a lot of "chips from 25 HP till 80 HP more" at ebay, what do you think about this ecu tuning chips? Are they good or damn bad?
Thanks a lot.

Cheers Markus

Kieran
18-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I have seen a lot of "chips from 25 HP till 80 HP more" at ebay, what do you think about this ecu tuning chips? Are they good or damn bad?

Bad.

VERY bad!!!

They aren't really "Chips" as such. They are usually a resistor or a simple chip with a resistor within it. You wire them in to intercept the signal coming from the coolant temperature or air temperature signal. They make the ECU read a 'colder' temperature. This makes the ECU inject more fuel. But the problem is it ruins your fuel economy and can cause 'bore wash', which is excessive engine wear through too much petrol. They can also cause problems with emissions testing.

So yes - Run away from those!

d i c k i e s
23-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Nice info Kieran. Good lil read.

Turbo_Steve
26-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Basics: |Always run the car on premium fuel to keep the ignition advance high
As has been mentioned, a good exhaust is essential

The only real constraint after that is budget: If you're after a quick power hike of reasonable proportions for minimal expenditure, then a NOS kit is pretty much the best "bang for buck" ratio at install, although it has implicit running costs, and may not be legal in Dueschland.
TUV approval etc is always an issue over there, isn't it?

Getting the cams reground will give you more power, but the tradeoff is generally driving manners.

The other option is a supercharger, though there isn't a kit, so you'll be innovating all the way, and they're not cheap: you'll be looking at inlet piping, ideally some kind of cooler (though water injection may be a suitable substitute at the sort of mild boost levels you'll be using) and of course there is the cost of the charger and bracketry to make it fit.

You'll also be needing extra fuel in there, which means either a piggyback ECU or (and this is probably cheaper) a 5th injector controller. This is a lot simpler than it sounds. (of course, it will be a 7th injector on a V6, but that won't show up on Google or e-bay LOL)

This setup will give you the best results: A wonderfully driveable, powerful and progressive car. It will also cost a fair bit (though much less than turbocharging).

As always, it's budget vs requirements.
I'd suggest supercharging could be achieved for under £3000, and give you 50-100bhp on a daily, stress free basis. You can get more power from it too, but the engine has limits.
NOS can be achieved for under £1000, will give you 50-100bhp, and has continual running costs of topping it up.
Turbo charging will give you as much as supercharging, and more, but will cost a lot more. It's not worth going the turbo route unless you're looking at a significant power increase, which means significant engine modifications, which means you might as well put a 6A13TT in there, or buy a VR4.

Tuning NA is generally quite expensive for a minimal return: past a certain point, you spend a lot of money and get a lot of power, but even then you're compromising the driveability.