PDA

View Full Version : guess what - Boost controllers

mitzitech2007
05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
anyone fitted one of these or something similar?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/full-electronic-in-cabin-boost-controller-uk-special_W0QQitemZ230268221894QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem230268221894&_trkparms=72%3A636%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

lookin for that ability to switch boost levels between normal and higher boost from drivers seat without selling a kidney.

ive go to sort out my induction first as it standard anyone done any intakes through the bonnet?

thanks as always guys! :2thumbsup

MarkSanne
05-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Well... not this ebay one, but I've bought something similar that has the option to be controlled from within the car (yet more simple/direct/precise? than the ebay kit in my opinion).

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/applic.html

Yet I didn't order the 'in-car' adjustment option as I'll just put it as high as is regarded 'safe' 0.9 bar - 1.0 bar and leave it at that.

mitzitech2007
05-07-2008, 04:06 PM
how did you get on with it? recommended?

miikka
05-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Why not to buy for example Greddy Profec Spec II?

Much easier and clear to use - and looks pretty cool.

Big Ian
05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
anyone fitted one of these or something similar?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/full-electronic-in-cabin-boost-controller-uk-special_W0QQitemZ230268221894QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem230268221894&_trkparms=72%3A636%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

lookin for that ability to switch boost levels between normal and higher boost from drivers seat without selling a kidney.

ive go to sort out my induction first as it standard anyone done any intakes through the bonnet?

thanks as always guys! :2thumbsup

TBH i don't know much about Boost Controller's but that one look's slightly OTT think i'd sooner have a manual one than that one?

mitzitech2007
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
i was just looking at the cheaper alternatives for less than £70 - £100. the main reason i want in car adjustable is that most of my driving is mundane so dont need the boost but would be nice when that idiot in his £70k sports car gets even more of a shock than standard! still cant get enough of that feeling! also mine was quicker than a E46 M3 EVO but now that BMW are using a V8 ive lost my edge just tryin to get that back! i often race our sales team on the way home!

thanks for your ideas though! if i go for it will keep this thread updated!

1hotvr4
07-07-2008, 08:13 AM
i reckon its a good idea to be able to change the boost from drivers seat with a flick of a switch gives you a bit of James Bond feel.

Johny
07-07-2008, 08:40 AM
so how do boost controllers work anyway?
can you change the boost as your driving?
or do you have to turn your car off each time?

MarkSanne
07-07-2008, 08:54 AM
@Johnny:

- Electronic Boost controllers can be controlled from within the car
- Manual Boost controllers can either be controlled from the within the car or only from the engine bay

It's not necessary to turn of the car with any of these 3 options.

Basically how a (manual) boost controller works is to fool the engine ECU into thinking the boost value is lower than it actually is, thus creating more boost. You can only do this 'so far' before overboosting (and destroying turbo's for starters). However simple this sounds, there are actually so much variables at play which makes the subject go quickly into a very technical piece, but I think these cover the basics.

mitzitech2007
07-07-2008, 07:21 PM
@Johnny:

- Electronic Boost controllers can be controlled from within the car
- Manual Boost controllers can either be controlled from the within the car or only from the engine bay

It's not necessary to turn of the car with any of these 3 options.

Basically how a (manual) boost controller works is to fool the engine ECU into thinking the boost value is lower than it actually is, thus creating more boost. You can only do this 'so far' before overboosting (and destroying turbo's for starters). However simple this sounds, there are actually so much variables at play which makes the subject go quickly into a very technical piece, but I think these cover the basics.

exactly what he said. a fairly easy and cheap way to get a little more power when you need it rather than it being there all the time if you go in car adjustable.

Johny
07-07-2008, 11:03 PM
sounds like fun lol
only 4 more years till i can buy one... lol

1hotvr4
14-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Quick question guys, can anyone post a picture of which hose does the boost gauge hose connects to?? Trying to fit my boost gauge and having troubles finding the right hose.

apeman69
15-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Prob too late but, Mitzytech, think long and hard and do a bit of research before buying one and make sure it will meet your exact requirements. The e-bay one looks like a pile of crap (personal opinion).
If you really want in-cabin adjustment (or 2 stage boost) from a manual controller then there are some well designed alternatives. Have a look at TurboXS for example. The Hallman one indicated by MarkSanne doesn't look like a 2 stage one (where you have a switch to change from standard boost to increased boost for example). There are a few types of MBC available now and many companies are trying to cash in with different designs, especially on e-bay.

mitzitech2007
16-07-2008, 08:26 PM
im still looking around with check them out

ta

mitzitech2007
15-09-2008, 06:28 PM
hey update for anyone interested i did buy this boost controller and found it very very very easy to install even though im a mechanic, works well giving better control over boost i think this is down to the solenoid. the whole kit looks like cheapish components apart from the solenoid which is exactly the same as the more expensive kits i have seen even some of the HKS kits ive fitted before were the same or very similar. if any one wants help / pics let me know!