PDA

View Full Version : Gresley A4 Pacifics

I-S
05-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Those not of an anorakish disposition may change channel now...

Went on a little outing with my family today (this in itself is rare, given that I live 150 miles from them), up to York to the national railway museum. The main reason for going today in particular was they were holding a little event, comprising of the reunion of 4 of the Gresley A4 Pacific locomotives.

Only 6 of these locomotives remain in the world, and one is in canada ("Dominion of Canada"), one is in the USA ("Dwight D. Eisenhower") and the remaining four are in the UK ("Sir Nigel Gresley", "Bittern", "Union of South Africa" and of the course the most famous - "Mallard"). This event was the first time all four had been together in a very long time (the last reunion was in 1988, and there were only 3 locos there - Mallard, Bittern (pretending to be "Silver Link") and SNG.

The day didn't start so well once we got to York. Trains were fine, but as soon as we got to the NRM and got in to the reunion enclosure, it started to rain pretty heavily. I managed to dash off a pic or two, but they didn't turn out well. At this point there were only 3 locomotives as SNG was hauling a special train out of london for the event. Here's the only picture I managed to get of Union of South Africa.

I-S
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
The rain started coming down pretty hard, so we retreated inside and wandered around the museum, and then had lunch, missing the arrival (in the pouring rain) of "Sir Nigel Gresley". We returned after lunch in a lull in the rain, but by that point they had pulled USA back for final preparations for her to take the special train on to Edinburgh. I got a picture of Bittern in the dull and dreary conditions, just before it started to rain again, and one of mallard, looking a little more resplendant in her blue:

I-S
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Once again we beat a retreat inside, looking around the station shed and getting coffee. Suddenly the weather brightened up considerably, and we made it back into the enclosure just a couple of minutes before USA steamed past hauling the train to edinburgh.

With the sun now shining, I was able to get some better shots of the remaining locos:

I-S
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Then queuing for a few minutes, we did something I don't think was supposed to be allowed on the general tickets (as it was supposed to be a special thing for the much more expensive dinner event), we were allowed onto the footplate of SNG.

Literally as we climbed down the clouds rolled in and the heavens opened, with a huge thunderstorm passing right over York. A brief, wet run to the station followed....

A good day. It's being repeated tomorrow, so if you live anywhere near the East Coast Main Line you should be able to see an A4 hauling a train either in the morning (Edinburgh to York) or afternoon (York to London).

Physician
05-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Memories .........

Derek and I used to ride on them regularly!

But seriously - large and impressive pieces of solid engineering which were exported all over the world. And they still remain in service in many countries, particularly on the African continent.

TAR
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Glad you had a good day.

There is something strangely alluring about steam trains, they certainly hold a romantic place in the hearts of many a Brit. I think it must be the presence that they have when steaming there way along the track - its like they are alive and breathing.

Paul Beazer
05-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Only 6 of these locomotives remain in the world, and one is in canada ("Dominion of Canada"), one is in the USA ("Dwight D. Eisenhower") and the remaining four are in the UK ("Sir Nigel Gresley", "Bittern", "Union of South Africa" and of the course the most famous - "Mallard").
Considering there were only 34 built, i dont think thats too shabby that 6 survived.
Many more important locos slipped through the preservation "net", such as 10000 + 10001 - First british mainline diesels
Any NBL built mainline diesels, etc etc

bradc
05-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm surpised noone pointed out that this only happened because the Mallard set the speed record 70 years ago this week.

Kieran
05-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Pfffffft. Overgrown Kettles on wheels. /pan Give me a Deltic! /STP /Devil5

Nice pics Isaac.

bradc
05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Ohh FFS Kieran, let me guess, you like diseasels because they only have a go lever and a brake just like your Adrian?

Paul Beazer
07-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Sod deltics, HS4000 please!

Kieran
07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Sod deltics, HS4000 please!

Just looked that one up - Never heard of it before.... Bit of a beast!!:speechles

Throbbe
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Pfffffft. Overgrown Kettles on wheels. /pan Give me a Deltic! /STP /Devil5

Oh FFS, another strange obsession I share with Kieran!

(actually, I hung up the notebook and cagoule around 20 years ago, but catching the last few class 55's was pretty much the holy grail for me.)

Kieran
07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Heh! Never been chasing myself, but I used to like going to the old train sidings near us when I was young - A lot of notts/derby freight traffic used to go past - Lots of 20s, 37s and 58s used to thunder past! :afro: I've never seen a 55 on the mainline though.

Paul Beazer
08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Personally im rather fond of sulzer type 2s, esp 26s and 27s (got shares in a pair of preserved 26's up north)

Ryan
08-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Those not of an anorakish disposition may change channel now...

Went on a little outing with my family today (this in itself is rare, given that I live 150 miles from them), up to York to the national railway museum. The main reason for going today in particular was they were holding a little event, comprising of the reunion of 4 of the Gresley A4 Pacific locomotives.

Only 6 of these locomotives remain in the world, and one is in canada ("Dominion of Canada"), one is in the USA ("Dwight D. Eisenhower") and the remaining four are in the UK ("Sir Nigel Gresley", "Bittern", "Union of South Africa" and of the course the most famous - "Mallard"). This event was the first time all four had been together in a very long time (the last reunion was in 1988, and there were only 3 locos there - Mallard, Bittern (pretending to be "Silver Link") and SNG.

The day didn't start so well once we got to York. Trains were fine, but as soon as we got to the NRM and got in to the reunion enclosure, it started to rain pretty heavily. I managed to dash off a pic or two, but they didn't turn out well. At this point there were only 3 locomotives as SNG was hauling a special train out of london for the event. Here's the only picture I managed to get of Union of South Africa.

Great pics Isaac, thanks for posting - I especially like the fact that one can see the Springbok emblem on the side of the engine :) Oh and that the Mallard also features in the same picture!

g8legnum
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Two pics of the A4's appeared on the Railway Centre web site. Thought I'd add them to those that Isaac took. The first is SNG hauling a Charter, two days before the get together at York. the second is the four A4's at NRM.