PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Battery lights???

lee db
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
hi guys,
driving home this morning from taking my kid home and a few rattles came from under the car, sounded like mud and grit falling off of the mud flaps, so didnt really take any notice, but then i realised that BOTH the oil and battery lights had come on, and the dash light to show that i had my lights on had gone off, i know the oil needs a change, but i checked it on friday and there is plenty in there, and got the battery changed this afternoon, the old one was crap anyway, but the lights remained on, bought some oil to top up, but only just got back in so will have to wait fot the engine to cool down.

any thoughts on what the hell is goin on? /Grrr

booking a service for this week or next

cheers guys, sorry to keep posting questions! lol

lee :happy: :afro: :iloveyou:

peter thomson
06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Alternator belt has failed or is loose

lee db
06-07-2008, 04:07 PM
why would that cause the oil light to come on?

Kieran
06-07-2008, 04:15 PM
why would that cause the oil light to come on?

It seems to be the way the galant's electrics work - as the system voltage drops you'll find that lots of systems start reporting phantom faults. Both times the alternator went on my Legnum, I've had things like the AYC and ABS go into fault mode too.

lee db
06-07-2008, 04:30 PM
ah ok cool, so is it an easy fix? and rough cost? thanks for the info guys, best 20 i have ever spent!

Gowf
06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
ah ok cool, so is it an easy fix? and rough cost? thanks for the info guys, best 20 i have ever spent!

Can get a belt from your local motor factors, if it is that. They are 948mm long 4 ribbed belts. (same as a uk V6). Shouldnt be paying much more than about £8 for one, and its a piece of wee to fit.

lee db
06-07-2008, 04:58 PM
cool, thanks i'll look into getting one asap, even if its not that its a good thing to change it!

abdielhiram
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
well, something similar happened to me last week, but in my case, the alternator died..

lee db
08-07-2008, 06:34 AM
it was the altenator belt, rang a bloke i know at a garage, and got me a new one....................except it was the wrong belt so had to leave my car at work!!!!!!
getting the right one today so fingers crossed, and she's booked in for a service on wednesday

1hotvr4
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
good luck man, hope it works out well.

lee db
12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
yeah all went well got the belt on, although the it was a little siezed up, soaked it in WD40 and then persuaded it, doing the tension bolt back up was a nightmare didnt have an extension bar for the socket so it took a while!

the service was quite gentle on the wallet thank god, although the engine still knocks for too long, might have to get that looked at, can feel the difference tho, smoother gear changes and acceleration is improved, had a whole new set of sparks too.

looking into new alloys soon so thats something to look forward to!

i love my car to bits but cant help wanting a VR4, some nice ones about at reasnoble prices, but i'll wait a while............lol