PDA

View Full Version : Anyone changed the propshaft bearings?

Kieran
06-07-2008, 06:02 PM
As per thread title - I'm talking about the two doughnut bearings that hold the propshaft to the car body. I reckon mine would benefit from being changed given that they're the originals by the looks of things (and therefore are 11 years and nearly 110,000 miles old!)

Anyone changed them? Any perils or pitfalls?:inquisiti

richy rich
06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Y do you want to do that your car never moves.

Nutter_John
06-07-2008, 06:12 PM
not sure you can change them K , when my propshaft was buggered i just replaced the whole thing instaed ( cheaper and easier )

Kieran
06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
not sure you can change them K , when my propshaft was buggered i just replaced the whole thing instaed ( cheaper and easier )

The workshop manual shows that you can disassemble them, but I'm a little concerned that disassembly might risk unbalancing the propshaft. The Japanese does suggest that there is some lining up to do, but excite doesn't translate it very well.

Where did you get a new propshaft from? Or did you get a 2nd hand one?

Richy - I've already covered why I wish to replace them! /Grrr /pan

Nutter_John
06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
2nd hand from a breakers , but I have a second spare one incase it has goes again

richy rich
06-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Richy - I've already covered why I wish to replace them! /Grrr /pan
Yes I know you have said y you want change them but if the car is a museum piece that is just put on show now and again there is no need to change them.:thinking: :inquisiti

ANTHONY
06-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Yes I know you have said y you want change them but if the car is a museum piece that is just put on show now and again there is no need to change them.:thinking: :inquisiti i see /Handbag/haz

Kieran
06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh, for heaven's sake!!! :veryangry Has anyone (other than Nutter John, thankyou) got a useful answer?

If not don't waste your time posting it!

Nutter_John
06-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah forgot to mention that Phosty got a price for a new propshaft , i think it was around £1700 as you could only buy the whole unit not in two parts

Kieran
06-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah forgot to mention that Phosty got a price for a new propshaft , i think it was around £1700 as you could only buy the whole unit not in two parts

Yeouch!! /JawDroppi Almost cheaper to get a single piece carbon prop made up!

ANTHONY
06-07-2008, 07:46 PM
If not don't waste your time posting it! if all the posts were useful how boring this site would become

Nutter_John
06-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeouch!! /JawDroppi Almost cheaper to get a single piece carbon prop made up!

yep he also posted up the price of a carbon prop , worked out to be a little cheaper i think :D

Wodjno
06-07-2008, 08:04 PM

£1700 :speechles And still a bit missing /pan

psbarham
06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
if all the posts were useful how boring this site would become

bring on the boredom then and stop posting drivel just to out post brad/pan

And K tbh those props hardly move so the centre bearings and rubbers will still be pretty good, if it was a live rear axle with the same power then yeh worry but untill it starts grumbling then don't worry too much, anyway i can do you a good deal on a spare if you want one ;)

Kieran
06-07-2008, 10:52 PM

And K tbh those props hardly move so the centre bearings and rubbers will still be pretty good, if it was a live rear axle with the same power then yeh worry but untill it starts grumbling then don't worry too much, anyway i can do you a good deal on a spare if you want one ;)

Okay - Fair enough. I am replacing the engine mounts soon and if that doesn't remove the transmission grumble (pretty sure it will seeing as two of them are the solid flexane mounts I did!) I'll consider the prop bearings - But I'll put 'em on the back burner for now. :)

Wodjno
06-07-2008, 10:55 PM

But we only have 3 piece propshafts :speechles

None of those 2 piece special 1's :inquisiti

psbarham
07-07-2008, 06:53 AM
But we only have 3 piece propshafts :speechles

None of those 2 piece special 1's :inquisiti

Qué meester fawlty????

Eurospec
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Changing the prop bearings isnt that bad, though you will need an air gun to get the retaining nuts off and a bearing puller to pull the bearings off the shaft.

You split the prop joints (making sure to mark their orientation relative to each other and the shaft itself) and then gun off the big nuts. Now lever the rubber doughnut off the bearing with a screwdriver to make removal easier.

Finally pull the bearing off the shaft with a puller.

You dont need to separate the new bearing from the doughnut to fit it. you will find it will push on far enough that you can refit the end plate and pull the bearing home with the end nut.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ben.

Kieran
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Cheers Ben, that's very helpful.:iloveyou:

So tell me, if I booked my car in at Eurospec and furnished you with two propshaft bearings, how much would it cost to change them? :embarasse

Eurospec
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
£80 squid and the dreaded ticket dude.

Less if its less than the hour and 3/4 i think it will take.

Cheers,

Ben.

phosty
08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Changing the prop bearings isnt that bad, though you will need an air gun to get the retaining nuts off and a bearing puller to pull the bearings off the shaft.

You split the prop joints (making sure to mark their orientation relative to each other and the shaft itself) and then gun off the big nuts. ............

Finally pull the bearing off the shaft with a puller.

Ah - so thats the correct way? When I replaced my front shaft section I dissassembled the centre bearing to measure the splined shaft so i could check the measurements Torqline gave me for the replacment Evo 6+ carbon fibre replacement (I didn't get one - just measured up to check they were the same).

Getting the big ba@#rd bolt off the flange on the front of the middle section was extremely testing. I had to put a spanner on the small flange bolts, stand on the shaft on a concrete floor, and whack the socket with rubber mallet for ages. Eventually it moved. Getting the flange itself off was fairly easy by comparison with a few taps with a hammer. The bearing then came off quite easy. I'd send the bearing to you but the internal rubber seals were disintergrating (car had done 70k) so maybe worth getting others.

Maybe EVo ones would fit - the rear two sections are the same length anyway?

Kieran
09-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Just as a footer to this I ordered a pair of new bearings from Camskill this morning - Direct from Japan they're £45.50 each including VAT. :happy:

You'll be getting a call soon Mr Hartley!:afro:

Eurospec
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
No probs Kieran, Any time.

Cheers,

Ben.