PDA

View Full Version : Viva!

william
08-07-2008, 11:23 PM
My better half fell in love with a car for the first time and we are now the owners of an Alfa Romeo 156 Twinspark! We put the Polo on Trademe and it sold the next day so hopefully it is a good omen. You do get a few butterflies when buying an Alfa, more so when secondhand, but .hey, nothing like living on the edge! It is my 4th Alfa and the previous 3 all were good ones so we will see. The car is in beautiful condition with a full service history from Continental Cars, 62 000km, has black leather seats (goes nicely with the Leggy's seats), Selespeed ( more butterflies!) and drives really well.

Oh, and I will take out a mechanical warranty!

Kieran
08-07-2008, 11:29 PM
The 156 is a nice car... I do like the styling of them and the driving position. They're quite a popular car in the UK.

Apologies if I'm telling you to suck eggs given that it's your fourth Alfa, but there's a good 'What to lookout for' guide here - Scroll down to the 'what to watch out for' section :)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=7&

bradc
08-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Congrats dude, I'm going to come around with the new top gear episode where they do a test of 3 alfa's :)

william
09-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I know, I know, I know! Some people have endless problems with them and hate them with a passion, some people (me included) had excellent service from them and love them like few other cars. I think owning an Alfa is a bit like having an affair - all fun and passion but you never know when the "you know what" is going to hit the fan! All about living on the edge

K, thanks for that, as I said, the car does seem to be a well looked after example. Brad, Clarkson rated the Alfa 166 as one of the best cars in the world!! ( read his "You have soul")

I will keep you posted!

Paul Beazer
09-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Im sooo bored hearing "passion" and "alfa" mentioned in the same sentence. Its a car made by randy italians!!!

william
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Im sooo bored hearing "passion" and "alfa" mentioned in the same sentence. Its a car made by randy italians!!!

Well said Paul!

Paul Beazer
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Dont get me wrong, i have no problem with Alfas per-se, but anything coming out of italy seems to be made with passion, be it cars, beer or pasta.
Cant see that working for things made in the UK, "Ford, cars made with ambivalence" lol.

william
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
No offense taken Paul. Different cultures do things in different ways and Italians are known wear their hearts on their sleeves and that they are a passionate lot and it is reflected in the design of the cars, clothing etc coming out of Italy. Other cultures have different identities and it does not make them inferior, only different. Italians might get bored by "British stiff upper lip" attitudes or" French flair "or "Teutonic efficiency"!

Nothing wrong with an Aston Martin, Lotus Elise etc. either!