PDA

View Full Version : Swapping ecu's

Oggie
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
ok now i know that the facelift and the non face lift auto vr4's differ in HP by like 20 i think.

if you use a ECU from a face lift model into a earlier none face lift (triptronic) . or even a 280hp ecu out of a manual Vr4, will that triptronic vr4 gain any hp?

bradc
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
yep, it'll give you the 20hp, but unless you can find one cheaply it won't be good value for money, buying a boost controller is much better

SGHOM
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
buying a boost controller is much better

And a unichip :afro:

bradc
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
and an intercooler, and a full exhaust, and ........ :P

VR4 MAD
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
But will a manual ECU even work in a Tiptronic car............? :inquisiti

And even if it does work, aren't the fueling and timing maps incorrect for a Tiptronic :speechles as the gearing is different for a start. /pan

/toycar

Ryan
09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm sure that when I borrowed Kenneth's 2002 ECU that it was out of a manual car. If so, then yes it does work.

Kenneth
09-07-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm sure that when I borrowed Kenneth's 2002 ECU that it was out of a manual car. If so, then yes it does work.

That is correct.

Ryan
09-07-2008, 11:51 PM
ok now i know that the facelift and the non face lift auto vr4's differ in HP by like 20 i think.

if you use a ECU from a face lift model into a earlier none face lift (triptronic) . or even a 280hp ecu out of a manual Vr4, will that triptronic vr4 gain any hp?

Ja what Brad says :) I have a facelift ECU in mine (along with a few other things) but before you go the boost control route I'd recommend downpipes and an exhaust.

The difference in performance will be quite apparent... that and it sounds much better too.

Oggie
10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Thanks guys for the info. saw a triptronic vr4 on trademe with a manual vr4 ecu in it.. just wondered why they did it..

infact here it is.. i think they are asking a bit much tho.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-163656716.htm

bradc
10-07-2008, 04:52 AM
yeah that'll take it to 280hp

Nicky123
10-07-2008, 04:55 AM
By this rationale, is there any gains (HP/Economy) to be had by swapping a pre-facelift ECU (like the one i have) with a facelift ECU.

CANDEE
10-07-2008, 05:10 AM
By this rationale, is there any gains (HP/Economy) to be had by swapping a pre-facelift ECU (like the one i have) with a facelift ECU.
I never had any difference with my old car when I had Brad's(now Ryan's) old ECU. But that car had "issues".

Ryan has had good results it in his car... /rally

Also the difference between driving a pre to a facelift is amazing :P

Kenneth
10-07-2008, 05:17 AM

If there is, it is minimal when compared to how driving style affects fuel economy.

In other words, if you were concerned with gaining 20hp then you probably drive in a manner where it wouldn't make much difference.
If you drive really conservatively, it might make a little difference, however you can probably make more difference more cheaply with other mods.

Turbo_Steve
10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Given the improvements people have described with the facelift ECU (better response, more power etc) I would suggest the facelift will actually have better economy for normal driving, due to the fact that overall less throttle will be used if it's more responsive.

GalantOnly
12-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I've got preface tiptronic, preface manual and face tiptronic... Swop ecu's between all of them in all possible combinations... All worked fine, exept some warning lights when the car with ASC/TCL getting no-ASC/TCL ECU...
Best result, certanly, is preface manual ECU in preface tiptronic car. But it's absolutely not worth spending money at - gains are minimal... One extra passenger in the car will kill all acceleration gains, facelift ECU gave you... 10£ MBC will give you much more fun...