PDA

View Full Version : Rivals

pjjohnson
21-05-2003, 05:06 PM
When you are out on the road, which cars do you think are the main rivals to your VR4 ?

Given that many people don't know what we are driving, which cars when they are bugging you do you think - " lets really enjoy this - time to show what a Galant can do ? "

I get special pleasure from being playful with Impreza's and BMW's, although I think that I'll steer clear of rousing new spec M3's. I love the site of a Scooby tailgating me, but it usually doesn't last very long, either I'm the distance, or very occasionally, sadly, he packs a greater punch. I've always been on the lookout for Legacy Twin Turbo Estates, but they are nearly as rare as we are.

This is my first reasonably quick car - anybody who has had other fast cars, how does a VR4 compare ?

Simon
21-05-2003, 05:38 PM
We had a Skyline up to about 2 months ago.....changed it for the VR4.....the skyline was quick...and you felt it...but i would say that the VR4 would beat it easily off the lights. INSERT INTO post VALUES (R33 GTS 2.5 turbo, 250bhp)....the acceleration now is more gradual but mid range....the skyline wouldn't stand a chance. The best thing with the VR4 is its cornering....and aggressive looks.

BraindG
21-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Ill give anything a go :D
Porsche's
Scoobies
BMW's
Merc's INSERT INTO post VALUES (been know to try it on with an AMG :nono: )
Evos
Basically anything top end ill bother with..

I think a major factor in winning/keeping face is when you floor it, if your behind them.. youve got to be on the ball, and ready to go when they go, otherwise you might as well not even bother.. keep it in 4th anticipate when they might floor it, and go for it... if they don't, back off slightly and get ready again.. its a good way INSERT INTO post VALUES (if your ahead) of annoying them as well, making them guess when your going to do it..

Brind
21-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Buy a magazine that has the spec of cars in the back and take notice of the 0-60 times and top speeds.

Remember even some of those with better statistics, won't stand a chance on the bends like us.

I drove a Nissan 200SX before this which has a 0-60 of 6.7 seconds which was quick enough to take plenty of cars.

It all comes down to how good you are too.

Ultra VR-4
21-05-2003, 09:47 PM
If you think your VR4 is fast, come to New Zealand. With its slack importing laws and virtually no modification laws, there are turbo cars galore here. From GTR's INSERT INTO post VALUES (r32's, 33's, 34's) to EVO i to vii's, WRX sti's, GTiR's, Porsche 911's, XR6's etc...

I sold my EVOiii INSERT INTO post VALUES (doing low 12's) and bought a VR4 for the looks and comfortability. Not that im dissing VR4's but I think they are purely touring cars, not racing cars.

haydar
21-05-2003, 10:01 PM
I drove an EVO 6 a while ago and it was VERY VERY FAST. Made the old VR4 seem very sedate. :cool1:

However I think that's missing the point. The beauty of the VR4 is it's shock factor since most people really don't expect it to be as fast as it is. Especially the older model which I think is more subtle due to it's smaller body kit than the newer one.

It's very amusing to see the look on other drivers faces INSERT INTO post VALUES (especially Porsche drivers) when they've floored their cars and gone round several corners only to look in the mirror and see that I'm still right behind them.
:p

andygy
22-05-2003, 01:47 AM
[hi Iam from Singapore drive a vr4 year 1999 been with the car about 4 year and it is he longest car i have ever keep been race with couple of car including a CL500 mercedes this car can go depend on the modification that you have on the car.With the speed cut overide this car can go top speed of over260Km/hr

modification done to my car include ARC intercooler,cusco turbo piping,MINES ecu,aquamist water injection,oil and atf cooler,HKS BOV sequatial,vacum tank,Tein HA suspension with EDFC ,AP6 pot caliper on Pagid pad riding on 18" PIAA POZZA rims with 225 by 40 series on AVS tyres,with the exhaust on HKS dragger,in fact it is too long to list as the whole car has been fully done up.

haydar
22-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by andygy

modification done to my car include ARC intercooler,cusco turbo piping,MINES ecu,aquamist water injection,oil and atf cooler,HKS BOV sequatial,vacum tank,Tein HA suspension with EDFC ,AP6 pot caliper on Pagid pad riding on 18" PIAA POZZA rims with 225 by 40 series on AVS tyres,with the exhaust on HKS dragger,in fact it is too long to list as the whole car has been fully done up.

I think you need to post some pictures. By the way, how much did the MINES ecu cost?

andygy
22-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by haydar
I think you need to post some pictures. By the way, how much did the MINES ecu cost?
Not a problem to posted some picture, the problem is I am not sure how to attach the photo can anybody help me..............
The mines ecu cost about S$3300more or less

BraindG
22-05-2003, 03:02 PM
when you post a thread, thread, theres a section below the content box called

Attach file:
Maximum size: 102400 bytes

with a browse option.. add your pictures there.. however could I ask you to post your pictures in the pictures forum?

thanks

Barry

haydar
22-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by andygy
Not a problem to posted some picture, the problem is I am not sure how to attach the photo can anybody help me..............
The mines ecu cost about S$3300more or less

Is that US Dollars :eek:

BraindG
22-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Will be Singapore Dollars

3,300.00 SGD
Singapore Dollars = 1,172.34 GBP

United Kingdom Pounds
1 SGD = 0.355254 GBP 1 GBP = 2.81489 SGD

andygy
27-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by BraindG

with a browse option.. add your pictures there.. however could I ask you to post your pictures in the pictures forum?

thanks

Barry

andygy
27-05-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by BraindG

thanks

Barry

VR-4Squid
27-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Mines a 1st shape INSERT INTO post VALUES (E39A)Main opposition comes from Other VR-4's, single turbo Legacy's, TT legacy's, GSR lancers INSERT INTO post VALUES (1.8 turbo); GTiR pulsar INSERT INTO post VALUES (sunny)'s, Mazda GTX's.

I also once raced a VERY fast 86 toyota corolla :Ponder: running a 4agze supercharged motor out of an MR2.

Pescha
27-05-2003, 09:54 AM
I bet a gtiR the other day:D The guy wasn't too impressed I was cruising at about 40 miles about 70 kms along the motoway with my g/friend, looked up in the rear vision mirror and this guy was flying so I put my foot halfway down INSERT INTO post VALUES (mines an auto) and the dude didnt have any more power left to over take me, he was stuck on my back quarter. So my g/friend said "finish him" INSERT INTO post VALUES (or words to that effect) so I put my foot slightly more on the pedal and off we went and left him behind. After I proved my point I returned to my chatting speed and pulled over and let the dude pass.

Another one bites the dust :arse:

Cheers,
Pescha!

BraindG
27-05-2003, 10:19 AM
picked up car this weekend :D and on way back, I was in middle lane. a lotus elise came flying up on the outside lane.. so i floored it, came up to speed, however wasnt fast enough. so he overtook me, however rather slower than he expected.. then about 2 seconds later I was up to speed, 130mph.. and continued flooring it, then pulled up rather faster than before, he pulled in, and i wasted him for about a mile doing about 145 :nono: , then slowed back down to cruising speed.. 90MPH :cool1:

Brind
27-05-2003, 09:16 PM
*Bad impression of a poilice car* knee nar.. knee nar.. knee nar..

Glad you have your car back, is it ALL sorted now?

BraindG
28-05-2003, 07:49 AM
indeed, as good as ever!

feels so much faster with the boost controller now.. specially top end.. not quite got used to it yet.. but wont take me long :cool1:

next its 17" wheels. 330 brembos, then i can atleast go fast and brake hard without having to worry about discs overheating, and getting the horrible steering wheel wobble. :io:

Roadrunner
30-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Interested to hear of your experiences with the boost controller, Barry. How much, how easy to fit, what boost do you run, what power does that boost produce?

Thanks,
Brian

BraindG
30-05-2003, 09:36 PM
well, basically its a very nice experience, its become a bit juddery now though, cos of the extra power.. but hey.. can get up to speed much faster :D

im running it at 0.9 at the minute, however will shortly be going up to 1.2 INSERT INTO post VALUES (next month)

it cost about £400.
I didnt fit it, however i know it can take 15 minutes to set up.. so if you get it done, and they say it takes longer, they are talking crap!

cant tell you the power yet, but cars going on rolling road end of next month.. so wil have a nice wee graph, of before and after :D