PDA

View Full Version : Time prediction Removal VR4 Auto box

frankoni
14-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Has anyone got any idea about how much time it should take to remove the Auto box in my VR4 as i might attempt it in the next few days??

The nightmare is about to begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Frank
/Grrr /Grrr :speechles

Nutter_John
14-07-2008, 08:02 PM
4 or 5 hours depending on location ,tools and skill , if it is your first time ---- Good luck

richy rich
14-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Some were between 7 and 24hours depending on your knowledge, tools ect.

richy rich
14-07-2008, 08:04 PM
4 or 5 hours depending on location ,tools and skill , if it is your first time ---- Good luck
You must be joking John.

Nutter_John
14-07-2008, 08:12 PM
You must be joking John.

Nope , I answered the question that was asked

How long to remove the auto box last bolt that is hidden , which i replied 4 or 5 hour

now if he had asked how long to remove all the top end bits ,the drive shafts , the prop shaft , the trafser case , the enigne mounts etc etc -> then i would have said 8 hours :D

I still say you can remove an auto box in 4 or five hours

richy rich
14-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Nope , I answered the question that was asked

How long to remove the auto box last bolt that is hidden , which i replied 4 or 5 hour

now if he had asked how long to remove all the top end bits ,the drive shafts , the prop shaft , the trafser case , the enigne mounts etc etc -> then i would have said 8 hours :D

I still say you can remove an auto box in 4 or five hours
Yes to remove one 4/5 hours, put I'm presuming he would like to put it back in again.

Lillywotsername
14-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Now now boys..... no need to squabble about it. :D

richy rich
14-07-2008, 08:28 PM
It takes you (John) 4/5 hours to stop drinking coffee and smoking your fags.

Wodjno
14-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I'd say 8 hrs or less from out to in /yes

Nutter_John
14-07-2008, 08:47 PM
It takes you (John) 4/5 hours to stop drinking coffee and smoking your fags.

And your point is :p

Look 4 hours to drink coffee and smoke fags , 30 mins with an angle grinder and the job is done

frankoni
14-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Cheers for the replys !! /pan /pan
So if i allow myself a couple of days that should be plenty, THATS OUT AND IN, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nutter_John
14-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Yep you should be fine mate , the bolt on the back of the gearbox just under the throttle body is a real bitch

So allow yourself 8 hours out and 10 back and you should fine , if you get stuck just shout as quite a few people on here have done it before

Wodjno
14-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Yep you should be fine mate , the bolt on the back of the gearbox just under the throttle body is a real bitch

Is that the 1 that Paul normally has out in a coupla mins :speechles

frankoni
14-07-2008, 09:10 PM

So allow yourself 8 hours out and 10 back and you should fine , if you get stuck just shout as quite a few people on here have done it before

Cheers mate, its just plucking up courage to make a start on it because i know its going to be a right B*****d of a job. Also i'm going to be working outside so i will have to check on the weather!!

One other thing, ive made an engine support bar, on the engine i can only see one eyelet to support the engine, is there another one hidden or is that it.........
:thinking:

Wodjno
14-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Cheers mate, its just plucking up courage to make a start on it because i know its going to be a right B*****d of a job. Also i'm going to be working outside so i will have to check on the weather!!

One other thing, ive made an engine support bar, on the engine i can only see one eyelet to support the engine, is there another one hidden or is that it.........
:thinking:

Theres 1 front right and 2 back left..

psbarham
14-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Is that the 1 that Paul normally has out in a coupla mins :speechles

probably:D
i bet we hold the record for removing an engine and box as well, brmmmm brmmmm spark spark, pull and thud :scholar: :scholar:

frankoni
14-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Theres 1 front right and 2 back left..
Nice one cheers mate..............:happy:

frankoni
14-07-2008, 09:45 PM
In the resource library i was looking at the article on removing the box and in the list of tools needed for the job, it lists a torque wrench, has anyone got a list of the torque wrench settings for the g/box????????

Cheers
Frank

Nick Mann
14-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Nope.

Just tighten them up! There aren't any bolts that need to be perfect on an auto. If you need to set torques to be happy, then the workshop manual for the V6 can be used for most of them.

ianturbo
14-07-2008, 10:30 PM
8-10 hours ???? is that right :inquisiti ive done a few , gearbox swaps on all sorts of cars worst one was a auto 740BMW and that took 5hours in and out . i do have the use of a garage with 2 ramps transmition jacks and a strapon tool box bigger than a big shed !
ian

Nick Mann
14-07-2008, 11:02 PM
With the right tools & access it can be done quicker. Remember that you need to remove turbo pipework, strut brace, intake pipwork, drive safts, prop shaft, transfer box, sub frame cross member etc, not all of which you need to do in a simpler car.
If a home mechanic gets the gearbox out and back in in a day, he's doing very well!

ianturbo
14-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Point taken , just seems a long time !:inquisiti
ian

Fully
16-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Hell, there is something wrong here if it takes that long.
I can have the race car jerico g/box out in about 4 minutes, even faster when its cold :P

Nick Mann
16-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Go for it then guys! If you think it is quicker, then video it and post up the evidence!

psbarham
16-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Hell, there is something wrong here if it takes that long.
I can have the race car jerico g/box out in about 4 minutes, even faster when its cold :P

i think the jerico box weighs a bit less than the 130kg of the vr4 auto lump.

bradc
16-07-2008, 07:51 AM
The correct answer is once every 1-3 years when they fail :)