PDA

View Full Version : Cheap for a Hydraulic press?

Kieran
15-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Peeps,

Anyone seen a press of this type before? I was thinking of getting one to make wheel bearing installation easier and also for pressing in suspension bushes on my Legnum. It just seems a bit cheap? For that price though, if it just gets through a set of bearings and a set of bushes and then expires, it's probably still worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-Ton-Industrial-Hydraulic-Workshop-Garage-Shop-Press_W0QQitemZ180264254826QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m180264254826&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

richy rich
15-07-2008, 08:18 PM
That will work fine for what you want it for K. Its just a hydraulic jack in a frame work so very simple and cheap.

Kieran
15-07-2008, 08:24 PM
That will work fine for what you want it for K. Its just a hydraulic jack in a frame work so very simple and cheap.

Sweet! And at that price I can afford it out of my 'play' money without restorting to "Man-Maths"!

(Not that I would EVER perform man-maths to get my mitts on new toys dear, yes that's right, that big pile of car parts was from a closing down sale at Woolies, no dear that's the price in YEN - so don't worry. By the way, bread and cheese for dinner tonight, mmmm?)

Wodjno
15-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Sweet! And at that price I can afford it out of my 'play' money without restorting to "Man-Maths"!

(Not that I would EVER perform man-maths to get my mitts on new toys dear, yes that's right, that big pile of car parts was from a closing down sale at Woolies, no dear that's the price in YEN - so don't worry. By the way, bread and cheese for dinner tonight, mmmm?)

Or get me a copy of caps on disc so i can sort out some hubs at a decent price /yes

Kieran
15-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Or get me a copy of caps on disc so i can sort out some hubs at a decent price /yes

Caps doesn't recognise the Coupes chassis number! :p /pan

Thought there was a download link to it on here anyway?:inquisiti

Wodjno
15-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Caps doesn't recognise the Coupes chassis number! :p /pan

Thought there was a download link to it on here anyway?:inquisiti

I can't get it to work :(

I'm worse than Derek when it comes to Complexicators :(

kiteman
15-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd leave it alone if I were you Kieran, in my opinion it way underpowered for wheel bearings and bushings. The standard size press for garages is 30 ton, while motorbike shops get away with 15 to 20 ton.
You could upgrade it by using a higher tonnage bottle jack but the mainframe might not take the stress.
Yes I do sell the above products to the motor trade, and I'd be laughed out of the workshop if I suggested a 6 ton press to them.

Davezj
15-07-2008, 10:04 PM
20ton bottle jack will set you back about £50 on it own, then you could weld up a frame and hay presto a 20ton press. good for all sort of stuff. i just haven't got round to making mine yet.

you could buy the one on ebay and see if does the job or you uses, if not then you can always strengthen the frame and fit a 20ton jack later. still it will cost you about £100 to complete the job.

Kieran
15-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Heh, my welding skills aren't that great, so that's out the window - though it would be funny to weld up a monster press that can crush cars! /Devil5

Kiteman - what 'tonnage' does an average bearing / suspension bush resist by? I'm surprised that 6 tons isn't enough, you see what's prompted this is today I was bashing old wheel bearings out of the coupe's hubs. With use of a impact socket and a good bashing with a hammer out they came but it was brutal and I don't want to hammer the new bearings back in incase I knacker them.

ianturbo
15-07-2008, 11:07 PM
i use one of these all the time for wheel bearings ,better than a big hammer !!
ian

Kieran
15-07-2008, 11:19 PM
i use one of these all the time for wheel bearings ,better than a big hammer !!
ian

What, the press I've linked to?

kiteman
15-07-2008, 11:22 PM
There is no average tonnage for bearing removal, some can be stubborn b@st@rds (particularly on older cars) and the entire 30 ton is required to move them, while others will appear to fall out with the lowest pressure applied.
Inserting the new bearings tends to be a much easier task.
The golden rule for a bearing press is to have the maximum tonnage available to you so no matter what bearing you are pressing, the job is completed quickly and first time round. Bashing out the old bearing as per your method is common in smaller garages, but I would'nt attempt using the same method to install the new ones.
You may be lucky with the 6 ton press for inserting new bearings and bushings, but I believe you'll still resort to bashing out the old ones.

psbarham
16-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I can't get it to work :(

I'm worse than Derek when it comes to Complexicators :(

i told you to remind me last time you were here/pan

i'll do a copy and give it to you next time your down :scholar:

Eurospec
16-07-2008, 08:44 AM
There is no average tonnage for bearing removal, some can be stubborn b@st@rds (particularly on older cars) and the entire 30 ton is required to move them, while others will appear to fall out with the lowest pressure applied.
Inserting the new bearings tends to be a much easier task.
The golden rule for a bearing press is to have the maximum tonnage available to you so no matter what bearing you are pressing, the job is completed quickly and first time round. Bashing out the old bearing as per your method is common in smaller garages, but I would'nt attempt using the same method to install the new ones.
You may be lucky with the 6 ton press for inserting new bearings and bushings, but I believe you'll still resort to bashing out the old ones.

I'd agree with that. You need a press that will do a pressure that you think is HUGE to get the old bearings out.

Our press is either 20 or 30 tonnes, but we couldnt get a subaru wheel bearing with that the other day- even on max! It wasnt even an old car, 2001 iirc.

Bottom line is it isnt that much more money for a press with a big fac-orf ram in it- so buy it once and get one of those.

Cheers,

Ben.

Gowf
16-07-2008, 02:17 PM
You can get away with just a 10tonne press. There are other ways of removing bearings that are far easier and less hazzardous than using presses. All you need is a vice, a big hammer, a chissel and a welder.
Smack the inner bit with the hub out. you then have to remove the bearings inner race casing from the hub with the chissel. Remove all the other bearing stuff inside the hub carrier leaving you with the bearing casing. Remove the circlip and then weld a ring around the inside of the casing. This generates enough heat for it to then be smacked out using a drift. You can then use your old bearing casing to press the new one in.
Its how ive always done them for the past 10 years

miller
16-07-2008, 03:13 PM
You can get away with just a 10tonne press. There are other ways of removing bearings that are far easier and less hazzardous than using presses. All you need is a vice, a big hammer, a chissel and a welder.
Smack the inner bit with the hub out. you then have to remove the bearings inner race casing from the hub with the chissel. Remove all the other bearing stuff inside the hub carrier leaving you with the bearing casing. Remove the circlip and then weld a ring around the inside of the casing. This generates enough heat for it to then be smacked out using a drift. You can then use your old bearing casing to press the new one in.

i didnt notice the use of buckfast anywhere in there!

pitslayer
17-07-2008, 01:54 AM
yeh thats fine for wheel bearings used them to put new wheel bearings into transit hubs, and an FTO and a few others, none have had any failures...however they will not get a transit wheel bearing out, infact a 120tonne press didnt get the wheel bearing out of the transits hub /lol

stuartturbo
17-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Any one who has pressed bearing etc in and out Its not the press you need

It all the weird bits of metal to support/ press out /lol

Eurospec
17-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Thats how we got the scooby one eventually, but it still pretty much had to be cut off. i used Marks fleece to stop the spatter getting on the shaft! shhhhhhh!

Cheers,

Ben.

Kieran
17-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, I've put this on hold untill next month's play money rolls into the bank and I'll probably get a 10ton one instead.

This descision was made after (and before he posted it so I was quite pleased that my mind worked the same way!) I applied the 'Gowf' method to the bearings on the coupe - Another job on cars I can now do! :)

psbarham
18-07-2008, 06:48 AM
to give you an idea of forces involved, we conducted a very sceintific experiment whilst at college ( well ok large qauntiys of alcohol and other substances were involved:inquisiti but it seemed very scientific to us:thinking: ) an extra strong mint will take around 18 tons to crush, you do get some mild crumbling at around 6 tons :scholar:
i have also had fork lift tyres that have required 120tons to push them onto the rim.
get the biggest one you can afford, but make sure its a good one with a pressure gauge so you have a bit of an early warning of impending shattered cast

Subaru ETA
20-07-2008, 11:45 AM
we have a 50 tonne at work and that struggles with transit and explorer wheel bearings.

last one i did i had to crank it to max, put the goggles on and heat the bastard...then wait for the big bang as it explodes and have to get bearing parts out of my hhair....

you need at least 20 ton....altho that 6 ton will prob be ok for pressing in bushes...that said you can do that with a vice

l11king
26-07-2008, 01:10 AM
just to say about your press it should be ok for bushes and pushing in wheel bearings but removing wheel bearings it may struggle I have a 30 ton press and sometimes that struggles they can be very tight just to break away