PDA

View Full Version : Rough auto gear change on hard cornering

CJay
18-07-2008, 10:07 PM
On exiting a roundabout or corner at speed, I find that the auto box jumps from 2nd into 3rd quite roughly, its as if theres ATF starvation in the box due to the G's generated on cornering i.e. fluid imbalance. Sign of low ATF (looks good on the stick) or something else perhaps? Otherwise, auto changes are perfect.

CJ

Nick Mann
18-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Could be slightly low ATF. It does seem that there must be a bit of starvation on hard cornering. It certainly makes sense!

Wodjno
19-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I would NEVER hard corner in AUTO mode /pan

Thats like changing gear in a Manual while pushing hard mid corner :speechles

Beastlee
19-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I always switch to tip and drop it down before entering the corner when I know I'll be heading through it hard.

Big Ian
19-07-2008, 09:28 AM
think i use "tip mode" nearly all the time .. very rare i use auto-mode.
think i'd check the fluid level first thing in the morning (on level ground) hopefully your car only need's a little fluid added.

CJay
19-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I would NEVER hard corner in AUTO mode /pan

Thats like changing gear in a Manual while pushing hard mid corner :speechles

Fair point I suppose but with all of the 'performance' autos out on the road these days you think this would be common knowledge...

Fluid check and tip mode on cornering methinks....

CJ

Ryan
20-07-2008, 02:31 AM
My AT would do similar things - it was definitely low on fluid thanks to a leaking torque converter seal.

Topped it up and away went the problem - albeit temporarily (until it leaked out again).

The fluid level in the transmission should remain constant. If the level keeps dropping I would investigate.