PDA

View Full Version : Hello there yet another newbie!!

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Just wanted to say hello and help please!!!
have been a legnum lover for just over 4 years now and live nr brighton.

do have a little problem with the old girl! so was hoping for a little help if thats ok?

will start by saying she has a few mods like ind kit, boost controller, uni chip dump valve etc etc.

i now have a range of warning lights flashing

when i start the car in park have AYC, ABS, traction control, traction control off and the engine managment lights all flashing, as i drive away the eng man light goes out then the abs and traction lights go out and finally the ayc light goes out! phew hope that makes sense!

she drives well with no noticable problems earth is fine and bulbs etc all working as they should.

sorry if i've posted this in the wrong area but am a newbie!!

any help would be much appreciated thanks Ellie

miller
24-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Hello and welcome aboard!

Slightly confusing, all the lights and the sequence described above is as it should do. ie dash lights up like a crimbo tree then settles down and all lights go out.

Have you any left on, which is causing concern? You say ''i now have a range of warning flashing lights''

Mike

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Mike
thanks for the welcome
sorry it is new as when i slow down the ayc light comes back on and then if i stop they all start flashing again also when the car is in park the neutral light flashes aswell
hope this makes more sense!!
thanks again ellie

Paul Beazer
24-07-2008, 09:55 PM
How old is your battery? When batteries start to go on the fritz they can cause all sorts of electrical wierdness. Might be worth getting that checked, also check what voltage the alternator is putting out.

Paul Beazer
24-07-2008, 09:56 PM
BTW Ellie, whats your forum name all about eh?

Nick Mann
24-07-2008, 09:59 PM
It sounds like your car is in diagnostics mode. If pin 1 is earthed on the ODBC connector then you will get exactly those symptoms.

Welcome to the club!

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Paul
thanks for reply battery is about a year old so shold be ok i use her everyday,
the name is an old one but am Ellie Love in real life!! and no don't have a big belly!!
thanks again ellie

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Nick
thanks for the welcome
can this just happen (being simple now!) as it started whilst driving in town one day then didn't do it for a couple of weeks now does it all the time.
thanks again Ellie

miller
24-07-2008, 10:30 PM
definitely sounds like diagnostic mode! Though why it would do it intermittently is a whole new ballgame!

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Miller
so how do i get it out of diagnostics mode and any ideas how i managed to do this in the first place?!!!!
have to say she's rather special and likes to be different!!

just want to say thanks so much for all your replies don't know why i didn't join sooner, Ellie

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 10:49 PM
sorry if that sounded a bit abrupt wasn't meant that way at all
also simple instructions would be good as my mechanical knowledge is only level 1 rural mechanics! decided to be a welder instead!
thanks again ellie

miller
24-07-2008, 10:50 PM
first i would look at the diagnostics port and check for anything untowards. After that i suppose its diagnostics itself. could be something really simple like Nick says above, Pin 1 earthed.

The diagnostic port is under the dash right above your left knee. Its best to get on your back in the footwell (ohhh matron) to see it to know what you are looking at.

Ill see if i can find a link with pics in it.

Mike

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks Mike
just going out for a little look now.........

miller
24-07-2008, 10:57 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5456

i suspect this may be a members only thread. Best £20 you will ever spend!

here is a taster pic of what your looking for

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi again Mike
problem solved yipee
found a suspect blue wire in pin 1 and other end flapping about behind center column so hence the intermitant problem!

so off to the garage tomorrow to give them a piece of my mind as have been charged a fortune to diagnose this problem, when it was them that must have put the wire there in the first place!!!! They installed the Uni chip and still can't get the ignition side working, been going on since Feb and finally got her back 5 weeks ago!!!!

Thankyou all so much for all your help xxxxxxxxxxx
Ellie

miller
24-07-2008, 11:41 PM
all part of the cvr4 service!!

elibellylove
24-07-2008, 11:45 PM
off to join now if i can thanks again
Ellie

miller
25-07-2008, 12:02 AM
:scholar: you know it makes sense :scholar: :scholar:

http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=joincvr4

miller
25-07-2008, 12:06 AM
ahhhhaah you are now a member i see! /GJ

Welcome aboard, /Welcome

all we need now is pics of your motor and an introduction! :computer:

make sure its clean before posting or the cleaning brigade /whip will be after you with polishing mits /Camera2 /Camera2

elibellylove
25-07-2008, 12:10 AM
I is a member now feeling most pleased car fixed
happy bunny now :D

Atik
25-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Welcome to the club Ellie.

We want pics :P

elibellylove
25-07-2008, 12:18 AM
is that the car or me?!! she does need a wash shes rather grubby!!

elibellylove
25-07-2008, 12:21 AM
will have to get her clean and take some new pics of her as managed to muff up old pc /duh will do asap

miller
25-07-2008, 08:43 AM
she does need a wash shes rather grubby!!

you or the car? :happy: :happy: :happy:

Nick Mann
25-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Heh! There is a thread somewhere with people photos on it...

But pics of both is the best way forwards!

I'm glad Miller was able to help you locate the diagnostics socket - my description was only helpful if you already knew it. Sorry....

Nick Mann
25-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Here it is:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590

elibellylove
25-07-2008, 11:22 AM
well well aren't you a happy looking lot, loved the photo's looks like you all enjoy a good knees up!! :party2:

i did mean my car although have been working this morning so have black hands now!

will post pics soon xx

The Vee
25-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the club. Glad the mob could identify and sort your problem so quickly. Not a bad lot are they!

Paul Beazer
25-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Its the old ones you have to watch out for, eh Mr Vee?!!!

elibellylove
25-07-2008, 02:52 PM
have to say i've been most impressed with all the help,
so going to be cheeky and ask something else!!!!
has anyone got a UniChip fitted and fully working???
i have one but the ignition side seems to be causing a problem, the guy that fitted it say's he can't get a wiring diagram for my VR4 type S. any idea's where i could find one? pleeeese
thankyou all so much xx

Nutter_John
25-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah there is a diagram on here , search for ecu wiring or something like this , TBH I would start to question your installers credentials if since feb he has not managed to find the wiring diagram , and if he search on google I bet this site would come it

Nick Mann had an UNICHIP , but he started having issues with his and has now gone map2ecu

To be fair from what I have heard of the unichip gives you a garentee that it will best the car car be , which is a bold claim !!!

elibellylove
25-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi there thanks for the info will have a scout about for it.
to be fair to the installer i think my car has become rather a thorn in his side!
he really has more to do with Skylines but have come to an agreement with him so one last chance and see what happens.
even though the ignition side is not working the car does feel faster and smoother than before, just be nice to get the last bit done!

/thankyou

Nick VR4
25-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi and Wecome
Glad you fixed your problam

Nick Mann
25-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I think I have a diagram of how my unichip was wired in. I did have some good results from it, but needing to travel a long way ever time I wanted it tweaking was a tad annoying!!

I'm away this weekend, but if you PM me next week with which wires you need to trace, I'll try and work it out for you.

elibellylove
26-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks Nick will give him a call and see what he needs to know.

N9nebar
27-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice wheels , cool reg plate, good lookin car

Atik
27-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Nice looking car Ellie. Very nice....

[Off topic - I notice that you have a radio aerial on the roof at the front, my old GLS had the aerial on the roof at the back, but my VR-4 hasnt got a aerial that I can see. :speechles ]

Wodjno
27-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice looking car Ellie. Very nice....

[Off topic - I notice that you have a radio aerial on the roof at the front, my old GLS had the aerial on the roof at the back, but my VR-4 hasnt got a aerial that I can see. :speechles ]

Yes it has /yes

It's in the side windows at the rear.. Looks like a heated window but is on fact an integrated aeriel.. There is 1 on either side :D

And on Topic .. /yes

Welcome to the Club Ellie :D

elibellylove
27-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi there thanks am rather fond of her myself, the aeriel is rather a sore subjuct, it's actually not even connected but would prob be a big job to get rid of it now though maybe i should get something a bit smaller.
and think she should be a bit lower too....

Thanks again for all the welcomes its nice here! xx