PDA

View Full Version : bit of a noobs question, dont flame me!!!

scooby1
25-07-2008, 02:27 PM
going to look at nice but's car tomorrow morning with a view to buying, but, here is the only thing that worries me.

i have never driven an automatic/tiptronic car before and although class myself as reletively experienced with performance cars and my ability to drive them, i currently own a version 1 sti wagon completely stripped and caged, the idea of a tiptronic box puts the sh1ts up me. i'll tell you why.

about 3 years ago i was test driving a mitsubishi fto gpx tiptronic, i pulled from the forecourt and onto the far side of the road to take it for a test drive, as i got it to the correct placement in the lane i was moving to the car just stopped, didnt cut out or stall, but it appeared it wouldnt engage a gear, obviously i checked all the usual stuff, if i had my foot on the brake or something daft like that and i hadnt, but as i checked my rear view for cars coming at me considering i was in the middle of the correct side of the road, a peugeot 206 piled into the back of me whilst i was stationary, ever since it has put me off any type of auto car.

am i being stupid first of all, as i dont think i was at fault in my little accident, are these things easy to get used to, and does anyone have any idea what the cause could have been for the car to just have stopped dead although not stall.

any help appreciated.

cheers

steve

miller
25-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Am sure Tim will go through it all with you, sounds like the FTO had a dicky box as they shouldnt stop, bear in mind the brake pedal is three times the size you are used to. So at first its easy to think your foots near the accelerator rather than actually on the brake.
Once you select drive and take your foot of the brake the car will slowly inch forward, only when you press the 'GO' pedal will it move off at speed of your choice!

Drive in Auto at first until you get familiar with everything else in the car, mirrors, length, width braking etc. Once familiar with all these then flick it left into tip and try it out.

you will be fine mate!

Good luck

Mike

Turbo_Steve
25-07-2008, 02:51 PM
My missus jumped straight in and drove it 150miles home. She then proceeded to get faster and faster over the next few days.

The gearbox won't be a problem (that one was broken by the sound of things) but the fact that you can wind up some serious speeds without tryinig will be :)

These cars are ridiculously easy to drive quickly, especially given the size of them.

Nice But's car exceptionally so as it has the extra power.

Your STi should stand you in good stead with this: it's a slightly slower but much more comfortable version of the same thing.

Nevman
25-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I've been driving manual cars for over 10 years before buying my VR4 and I got used to it in no time. No problem whatsoever.
Tip is a bit annoying because it is the other way around than it should be. I mean you need flick it forward to go up the gear and backward if you want to go down. But apparently it's not that difficult to change it, just to rewire or swap the switches as far as I remember.

Physician
25-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Just one point Steve ........ unless we are ribbing any well known Member we don't flame people here - we like to think we're pretty grown up on this forum (except SGHOM that is :baby: ).

Good luck with the car .... you'll be fine with it, especially as you've had experience with performance machines. :happy:

White Lightning
25-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I've been driving manual cars for over 10 years before buying my VR4 and I got used to it in no time. No problem whatsoever.

Ditto.

Nice But's car looks very nice in the photos. And knowing Ben down at Eurospec who did the remap work personally I would say that you have a very nice example there /yes

Good luck with the test drive ... /rally

scooby1
25-07-2008, 04:26 PM
cheers people, been on some forums in my time and this has to be the freindliest so far, to many keyboard ninjas out there on some of the forums for my liking.

hope it goes well tomorrow and we'll take it from there.

Nevman
25-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Wait until WODJNO will spot you and jump on your back :)
He thinks he is the funny one... But only he thinks so... /Devil5

Just joking.

This forum is the most friendliest I have ever seen. And to be honest, it's is the only one I have stayed on longer than couple months. As a matter of fact almost 1.5 year now :)

miller
25-07-2008, 04:54 PM
ive seen Tim's car and its a credit to him, one of the nice examples floating around!!

you will enjoy the forum, no flaming on here im afraid!!

Mike

Nevman
25-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Ditto.
But now I can't get used to back having manual Vectra as a company car :D :D :D

Only joking but I've had a couple kangaroo moments forgetting to depress the clutch before stopping /rally

Lillywotsername
25-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Tim's car is a very nice example... I have seen it in the metal as well.

Let us know what you think...

Oh and as for flaming.... As Mr Physician said we tend to keep the pish taking to long-standing members... Or in his case long-sitting as he is too old to stand for very long :D

Loves ya really Rich

Nick VR4
25-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Deffo sound like the FTO had a problem with the Auto gearbox

As said use the tiptronic when your ready and remember when you stop in tip mode it will stay in first gear as I remember using tip mode and floored it off the line at a set of traffic lights only to hear and see the rev counter hit the red line very fast lol

Plus the gear box learns your driving in Tip Mode

Turbo_Steve
25-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Just one point Steve

Jinkies, I thought you meant me for a minute there.

Atik
25-07-2008, 08:30 PM
The tip-mode is very easy to get used to. Drive in auto first if you feel unsure, and start tipping over time.

I've had my car now for just over 2 weeks and am beginning to use tip mode more and more. Probably more so cos my feckin exhaust is so loud and need to change gear to quiet the damn thing :P at Richy

But you will be fine with the tip gearbox. Very easy to use.

Physician
25-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Or in his case long-sitting as he is too old to stand for very long :D

Loves ya really Rich

Ummm, you enjoyed sitting on my lap! (Didn't you?) :happy: