PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or PS3

Gly
26-07-2008, 10:54 AM
my gf offered to buy me either one (not both :()

which is better (games choice) mainly into racing games, forza, Gran turismo etc,

used to have both a ps2 and xbox,

and sold the ps2, and kept the xbox, just be cause it was easier to mod chip,
and fit larger hardrive in,

so mod-abillity is also a important factor to me choosing...

just dont know which console to go with??

and no i dont want a nentendo weeeeeee.

Johny
26-07-2008, 12:04 PM
more games for the ps3 but the modding and upgrade ability for the 360 is way higher

imho just buy a decent pc haha

jalford
26-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I thought there was more games available for the XBox 360.

The PS3 uses a standard hard drive and you can swap it out for one of higher capacity. You can buy higher capacity or additional hard drives for the 360 but there is no easy way to transfer content between drives and you will pay a premium for the drives.

On the PS3 you also have the ability to install Linux.

Personally I have both a PS3 and a 360 and I play on the 360 more.

Subaru ETA
27-07-2008, 09:54 AM
i have a 360 and if you are into racing games, grid is mean.

my mrs bro is a games reviewer so he has all consoles. he thinks that the ps3 is better but the games are crap. and there are WAY more decent games on 360

bradc
27-07-2008, 10:22 AM
ps3 has GT5 though, thats the only reason I'd buy one.

Gly
27-07-2008, 12:09 PM
well i decided to get myself in more dept....

bought myself a Samsung Series 6, 46inch LCD TV
couldnt say no to 48 months interest free at noel lemmings.

now i just have to wait for my GF to buy me my other new toy....
which shes having second thoughts about now!! /grr

Gly
27-07-2008, 12:20 PM
and can someone tell me the diff between

Xbox 360 Console
Xbox 360 Arcade Console
Xbox 360 Elite Console

theres a hell of a price diff between them!

Beastlee
27-07-2008, 04:22 PM
360 Elite has a much bigger hard drive and standard with HDMI, it's also the only one that's black as standard. The basic has a 20GB HDD and no HDMI. The Arcade I think has HDMI and comes bundled with Forza2 and Viva Pinata but still only a 20GB HDD.
I have an Elite but if I was to make my choice again I'd get a later Arcade pack with the HDMI port. If you go for one make sure it has the HDMI port on it.

danwins224
27-07-2008, 04:23 PM
From what I can tell, 360 console is just that, a console and controller, the arcade comes with the hard drive and the elite gets a bigger h/d and 1years subscription to xbox live. I had the same dillema last month and plumped for the xbox and now wish I hadn't. I also have to get a blueray player as dvd seems to be going that way, PS3 has it built in.

gee118
27-07-2008, 06:40 PM
PS3 all the way.
No contest.
The PS3 streams movies and music (not sure if the 360 does that)
Blu-ray DVD player.
nuff said.

Beastlee
27-07-2008, 06:50 PM
360 Elite still only comes with 1 month of Xbox Live. You will have to shell out £35 to get a year's subscription.

d i c k i e s
28-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Get a PS3.
Subscription is Free. (not like xbox), how many times you gonna game online... so why pay that much, when you can go online whenever and pay nothing.
HDD. (Capacity, you can upgrade yourself) Standard Now is 40GB. Easily upgraded to a 250GB for $100. (and it doesnt effect warranty of ps3 as the manual teaches you how to change hdd)
You can play (some) divx and xvid files. (depends how they were encoded)
You dont need a seperate player ($1,500) to play blu-ray discs. Also plays normal dvds.
Games are awesome, i play alot of NFS Pro Street, and GTA IV. So graphics wont let you down in that area.
You dont need a memory card so to speak... you can save to usb pen drive. aswell as the memory cards used in digital cameras and take them to a mates place. Can also upload photos onto ps3 use as bacground wallpaper
Dont need to change re-charge/buy batteries for the controllers. But as long as you get the charger for the ps3 controllers you will be alright. (Can last up to week, depends how long you game)
PS3 is a wireless device, so if you got wireless connection at home, you wont need to connect any network cables to it play online.
You can use

mmm thats all i can think of at the moment... got any q's... just ask.

pitslayer
28-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Right I own both.
better games and more of them
online is much much much better even if you do have to pay for it. 360 you host the game, PSN is hosted through gamespy, do the math /lol
lots of add ons for them, but the microsoft ones are expensive
it plays dvds
it plays music
you can download films on it
you cn downlod old games
they can break though, but 3 yer warranty on them now

PS3
good games few and far between
40 gig or 60 gig hard drive
online play is dire it truly is, so much so that if i can get online i dont even bother to try and get into a game lobby or play a game
download proper old skool games
download good random games
plays blueray, and lets face it blue ray has won HDDVD is dead
the menu is pretty boring and a bit annoying at times
its got bluetooth,
its wireless out the box
sixaxis controller and anything to do with sixaxis is completly awfull, nothing good about the sixaxis controller it doesnt even work how you want it to, they just slapped some accelerometers in it. you want that get a Wii.

its 50/50 and your choice, more racing games out at the moment on 360, but the ps3 has some good games, but most are crap

Gly
28-07-2008, 07:10 AM
i dont play online, it doesnt interest me,

blue-ray, im not fussed as they still make dvds, LOL
a seperate player will become cheaper as normal dvds are fased out.

xbox 360 is the winner i think...

now which unit....

http://www.bondandbond.co.nz/gaming/xbox-360/xbox-360-consoles/c45-c52-c312-p1.html

the arcade is alot cheaper... appears to have no HDD??? and a 256mb mem card??,
then theres the normal console, with 20gb hdd
and the elite has 120gb with hdmi

id really want hdmi... is the elite the only one with this??!!

Subaru ETA
28-07-2008, 07:18 AM
i got the arcade on in the weekend. it has the card but you can buy hard drives (they are external) for like $180 for a 20Gig.

you can buy the hdmi cables seperatly im pretty sure.

anddont buy a first gen one, buy a new one! my bro has a first gen and its noisey and always crashes

gee118
28-07-2008, 07:32 AM
let me put it this way:
I've both, they 360 hasn't been turned on in 3 months.
The PS3 (HDMI ready) is on almost entirely.
Why bother waiting for a seperate blu-ray player? If they become cheaper, say $100 in a few years, I'd still go out and buy a second hand PS3 instead.
If nothing else, it looks better! :-)

Gly
28-07-2008, 07:42 AM
well new xboxs are hdmi. so thats no isuue coz ill be buying new...

im not waiting for a sperate unit.... i just dont need/want one now

i want the buy the console with the best choice of games....
i buy a game console to play games, not watch movies,

danwins224
28-07-2008, 05:15 PM
seems like your trying to justify buying the second rate xbox, if all your wanting it for is game playing then I don't see the need to spend the extra on the ps3.

pitslayer
28-07-2008, 09:56 PM
The ps3 still needs some work to be honest, like some decent games, get rid of the stupid sixaxis etc. 360 is far better for games, i think you personally need to own both, so you can tell the 360/PS3 fan boys to STFU sometimes. they are both good, they are both flawed.

KiwiTT
28-07-2008, 10:06 PM
PS3 = GT5 endof

pitslayer
28-07-2008, 10:25 PM
360=PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2, Forza 3(TBA), grid racer.

ive got GT5, prologue. its not that good, you need to spend ages working out how to tune your car so it will go around a corner. was very unimpressed with it to be fair. i gave up on it, was a waste of 20 quid

Ryan
29-07-2008, 06:23 AM
kept the xbox, just be cause it was easier to mod chip,
and fit larger hardrive in,

so mod-abillity is also a important factor to me choosing...

Ahhh - I seem to recall seeing an EvoX logo on on xbox power up screen in one of your pictures :thumbsup: What chip do you have in yours and what "OS" are you running?

Mine is setup as a media centre, something which I believe an XBOX 360 would be better at doing than a PS3, even if just for ease of use / compatibility with windows...

Gly
29-07-2008, 07:20 AM
I've got the executer chip/mod...
the one with the switches/lights on the front panel.
i forget the model as it was years ago when i installed it... that was nerve racking!

using the unleashx dash

i only pay games on mine,
when it was in the car i used it for media

Gly
29-07-2008, 07:22 AM
PS3 = GT5 endof

of there game line up??

to be honest ive been over the GT series for some time now.

pitslayer
29-07-2008, 03:41 PM
get an xbox, your trying to justify a PS3 which you dont want.

for racing games the 360 has much more choice,
the PS3, has more potential, blu ray disc is what 50gig, plus 40gig min harddrive 90 gig, you are going to see some seriously big high end graphical games coming out on PS3 as opposed to the 360. because microsoft say, all games must run on all our consoles, so you cant cache the game to the hard drive.
look at MGS4 it truely is amazing. graphics stunning, game play stunning, length of game stunning. 360 cant do that nor will it untill they themselves move over to blue ray.
just get a 360 though, so many games out for it

d i c k i e s
29-07-2008, 11:29 PM
xbox 360 for games.
ps3 for everything else and more... :)

rayray24
30-07-2008, 06:34 AM
XBOX all the way. I got a pro package though work (discount) and I spend more time on it than watching TV. But I'm hooked on guitar hero at the mo. The way the discs are loaded on a PS3 is about the only good thing I've heard.

bigoxo
30-07-2008, 07:07 PM
i've had both a 360 and a ps3, i sold the xbox... The Xbox does have a few games but both grid and dirt are on both and are excellent, i think PGR is too easy and GT5 will most likely be awesome. Plus the rechargeable controllers on ps3 are better.
I'd recommend the ps3.

pitslayer
31-07-2008, 12:44 AM
you can get rechargable controllers on the 360.
the controller on the PS3 has some major flaws.
To light
No rumble pad
Charger lead to short!
Fail Sixaxis

and as for GT5, well Gran turismo was good, GT2-4 were crap prologue was a waste of 20 quid, very unimpressed with it to be fair

Nicky123
31-07-2008, 01:19 AM
my gf offered to buy me either one (not both :()

Has she got a sister?

gee118
31-07-2008, 07:57 AM
you can get rechargable controllers on the 360.
the controller on the PS3 has some major flaws.
To light
No rumble pad
Charger lead to short!
Fail Sixaxis

and as for GT5, well Gran turismo was good, GT2-4 were crap prologue was a waste of 20 quid, very unimpressed with it to be fair

how can the contoller be too light?
surely the lighter the better.
Granted they don't have a native rumble pad.
you don't need a long charger lead coz the battery lasts for ages.
i've loads of ps3 and 360 games.
i've never actually seriously used the six axis feature for the ps3.

Bottom line: He wants an xbox despite it having less features.
And rightly he will enjoy his xbox, there are alot of good games for it.

bigoxo
31-07-2008, 07:26 PM
'nuff said

Ryan
24-12-2009, 04:07 AM
PS3 = GT5 endof

More than a year on and still no sign of GT5 :violin:

KiwiTT
24-12-2009, 04:28 AM
March 2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_5)

Ryan
24-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Took long enough... /whip

:p

Beastlee
24-12-2009, 01:18 PM
PS3 is still better though, doesn't break as often as an xbox360. We have both and now the 360 is dead (again) I'm tempted to get a second PS3 for upstairs. Free online gaming and the ability to add linux help sell them to me.

OnBoost!
24-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Ps3!!!

Ryan
09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I own an Xbox360 and I say that PS3 is slightly better.

Why? Well simply because with a PS3 i would not have to pay Sony $89.95 a year JUST to be able to play multiplayer with someone.

PS3 has a small web browser to view YouTube, xbox doesn't.

The xbox's controller is far more ergonomic IMO.

crazyken76
09-03-2010, 12:26 AM
ive had both and i will say the ps3 is 100% better than the xbox

Atik
09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
For gaming, they are just as good as each other. Each platform has its own exclusive titles as well as the crossover ones.

However, I much prefer the PS3 over the 360 cos its a heck of a lot quieter! It plays Blu-Ray discs. It plays video files from USB. It has much better media centre capabilities. And it looks so much better. Online is free. And I've been on the PS beta gaming since day one!

I actually prefer the feel of the PS controller over the 360, but the most ergonomic of all had to be the N64 controller!

crazyken76
09-03-2010, 12:38 AM
ye and doesnt look like a breeze block

Geraint
09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
i had an xbox 360 1st and loved it, got a ps3 because everyone said how great it was.... the ps3 hasnt been touched for about 6 months, the xbox is played every night

ps3 is pants online and the controlers are tiny!

xbox is by far the best and worth the extra for the elite

Nube
09-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi,
Definately the trusty box for me. Much more amusement to be had online,find it an excellent way of anoying your mates wihout being in the same room! It's worth going the hard drive route,the elite can be had for a good price these days. Will make online and watching movies etc a whole lot easier.

Ryan
09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
i had an xbox 360 1st and loved it, got a ps3 because everyone said how great it was.... the ps3 hasnt been touched for about 6 months, the xbox is played every night

ps3 is pants online and the controlers are tiny!

xbox is by far the best and worth the extra for the elite

All the elite gives you is a bigger HDD and a different colour (and maybe an extra controller). Not really worth it IMO, especially as you have to pay on top of that to play multiplayer.

WildCards
09-03-2010, 09:59 AM
If you play games and play online the Xbox wins hand down, if you want a media and gaming centre then the PS3 is the stronger unit.

£40 or $80 isn't alot for the online feature IMO, it absolutley pastes the PSN into next week with reliablity, features, ease of use etc and more and more games are being designed with online play in mind, not just multiplayer maps and CTF type games, but actual story lines which you play through with online co-op. It is the future on console gaming.

Despite Wiki saying GT5 is out in March, more reliable sources in the gaming community are saying it's been set back to later this year, possibly even early 2011. Sony's lack of support for good gaming titles on the PS3 has also lead several game publishers to step away from PS3 game development and concentrate on the more popular Wii and 360 consoles.

bristol seb
09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
GT5 is only on ps3, even if it ain't out til september. All you need to know!:)

WildCards
09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
GT5 is only on ps3, even if it ain't out til september. All you need to know!:)

It's alot of money for one game that probably won't live up to the hype though.

chugg
09-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I've got a 360, PS3 and a wii and I like all of them TBH. It probably one of those personal choice things which is best (you know, Auto or manual debate anyone??!!) I've modded the 360 and Wii (hard modded the wii with a D2CKey and iextreme soft mod for 360) which is nice, where as the PS3 has limited hombrew/hacking fun at present (if thats your thing). Also if you mod 360 wave bye bye to Live cos you'll get banned. I'm getting fed up of RROD on the 360, have had to fix it several times, but then it is an old one (the one without a HDMI slot), had it since release 2005, so is practically a pensioner for a 360 and a miracle it still works at all!!!!!
I do play the PS3 most of all, and I dont seem to have a prob with online gaming on PSN, odd time get kicked off a lobby on MW2, but never had an issue with Dirt 2, Motorstorm, Tekken 6 etc.
Really, if you buy either a 360 or a PS3 you will enjoy either machine as they both have planty to offer gaming wise.
The wii is of course a bit different, perhaps not a serious gaming machine, but still bloody good fun!

p.s also this is quite an old thread isn't it?