PDA

View Full Version : removing Turbo timer - whats its value?

martin_y
28-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi guys.

Started my first DIY job on the car today - removing the Turbo Timer. its a Blitz VGTT - a Voice Guided Turbo Timer.

Well it looks like quite a good installation. There is a big bluiesh connector. it seems like a "Y" connector, and it goes in between the ignition wiring, and the harness to the car.

Maybe I should explain like this (pics coming later)

Wiring goes from Ignition -> to standard connector ->now to Blitz connector ->to Blitz->to Blitz Connector-> Standard connector -now to the Car.

I have managed to remove the Blitz, but at the moment I have to leave their connector on there.

My problem is this, the alarm seems to have been spliced into the Blitz Y connector :-(. I was hoping to remove the Turbo Timer and get some money for it. I dont see it on Blitz's website, they seem to only sell 2 types, one for £60 and one for £90.

so..... my options are
1) sell the blitz short of 1 connector (can spares be bought?)
2) remove the connector, do the splicing to the real harness myself (is the alarm going to freak out if I do this? )
3) Pay an alarm man to come and move the splicing for me .

What is a used Turbo Timer worth I wonder?

martin_y
28-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh, the alarm seems to be a cr4p installation! black box just stuffed behind the dash - a sure way to induce a rattle - no double sided tape, no cable tie- nix !!!!

Its a Stirling Excel Immobiliser system

TAR
28-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I suspect that its not worth very much. The connector will be model specific and may be really hard to get hold of, so no one would want the timer without it.

I would be very tempted to get a decent alarm /immobiliser fitted, and do away with the timer and its wiring.

Its also probably not a necessity as a after a spirited drive, a slow ride for the last couple of miles will always cool the turbo suficiently to stop premature wear.

Turbo_Steve
28-07-2008, 07:47 PM
If you want it out and to sell it, and you're competant with electrics, I'd VERY methodically move the alarm wiring yourself. Are you sure it's the alarm wiring, as fitting it to the turbo timer loom sounds like a very amatuerish install? Certainly not very "thatcham".

Turbo timer isn't really neccesary on these cars.

You should be able to get a selection of cables for it from Blitz if needs be....as long as you can find someone to do the japanesing for you. Once you factor this in, it's not really worth much.

Unless a turbo timer is absoloutely brand new mint & boxed, they rarely go for more than £50...usually nearer £30.

martin_y
29-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok, I methodically removed the turbo timer. Each step along the way, I made the sure the car would still start, for fear of upsetting the immobiliser. I still had the Y piece connected, but I had the timer out, and I put all the trim back together.

This morning the car wouldnt start ! /Grrr

The dash would just go blank when I turned the key. So I had another look at the Y connector and decided to remove it, -just connecting the car's harness to the Ignition switch again.

Hey presto - it starts but wont run. mmm some parts of the immobiliser are still connected, so a quick hunt on the web told me they normally interrupt the fuel pump and the starter motor. Well, it was starting now, so I had removed the interruption to the starter. So, fuel pump it had to be.

I also checked the fuse diagram in the manual - OH ! no fuse for fuel pump!. Anyway I traced the alarm's connections to a black and white wire that runs along the top of the drivers sill, and this wire was interrupted. Jumpered that, and she starts and runs now.

Of course, its not immobilised any more :thinking:

so.... I will have to get an alarm man to come and look at it, and sort it out for me.

I cant think what I did wrong. I put everything back together the way it was (as far as I can tell), with the Turbo timer connected again, and it still wouldnt start. :inquisiti

orionn2o
29-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I suspect you would have just been better off leaving the turbo timer there and not using it if you didnt want it!

martin_y
29-07-2008, 01:07 PM
You may be right, but it looked really really sh1te, just stuck to the dashboard :-(