PDA

View Full Version : What does the AYC sound like?

martin_y
29-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Hi guys.

Heard a sort of bzzzzz noise very briefly from the back of the car. Was going around a very cambered downhill left hand turn, with my foot off the throttle.

The sound lasted about a 1/2 second, and I didnt look for any lights. I dont think I was going very fast, family in the car and all.

Did I hear the AYC?

Does AYC work with the throttle closed?

bradc
29-07-2008, 06:49 AM
The ayc should never make a noise. It is difficult to say of course whether you heard the ayc or something else making a bit of noise, but if you're in doubt, or if you've never changed the fluid, you might as well do it!

And yes, I have 1 bar up regularly when corning with no throttle on, sometimes two.

ANTHONY
29-07-2008, 07:17 AM
so it you drive the car like an old man (like me) and get no lights up, is the AYC being used

bradc
29-07-2008, 07:52 AM
the pump has bought the oil up to operating pressure, but the clutch packs aren't in use or doing anything

rees
29-07-2008, 08:00 AM
when u start the car up the buzzing is it gettin the pressure right , shouldnt hear anything after that - if you do then it could indicate a problem that the ayc cant pressurize or something

you dont need to go fast to get 1 bar either even if you drive at say ...20mph just throw the car about and u should get flicker

Nick Mann
29-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Chill, guys! In a standard VR4, with the radio off, and your foot off the loud pedal, you could well hear the pump activate occaisonally to maintain operating pressure. If you hear the noise a lot, or the noise gets louder, then start to worry!

Having the radio on or a loud exhaust will muffle the noise of the pump, so most of the time, mst of us don't hear it at all.

jpnvr4
29-07-2008, 01:50 PM
mines seems 2 make quite a bit of noise off throttle ... but I think mines is diff related... and I checked the other day and the ayc fluid is way high
i can see the fluid at the top of the pump as soon as I open the cover

Nick Mann
29-07-2008, 10:10 PM
That's not the pump. It is the reservoir for the pump. But if you have plenty of clean fluid in there, then you have one less thing to worry about.

ANTHONY
29-07-2008, 10:44 PM
another question, how long would the AYC fluid last without a change if the car is not driven hard, is it still advisable to change it as recommended?

chris g
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I understood that AYC did NOT work when off the throttle

And so AYC only lights up when on the throttle

Maybe there is some ltd activity when off throttle going round a corner but I did not know that...

martin_y
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, I have been watching the lights now, and when the AYC does go on, I cant hear any noise at all.

I now think that what I experienced might have been fuel surge. Maybe the fuel pump complained when it couldnt pick up the fuel on that bend?

Nick Mann
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM
The AYC will operate in any condition where it could be beneficial. That includes coasting and braking. You will most often see it when powering through a corner, however.

The pump will pump to get the working pressure in the hydraulic system. This could happen at any time, but the pump will obviously work harder when the AYC system is working harder.

The fuel pump is in a similar direction from the drivers seat and makes a similar noise, so it could well be what you heard.

bradc
12-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I regularly see one bar when going around corners either braking or coasting (in gear obviously). Only seen two bars when off the power a handful of times

Johny
12-08-2008, 08:12 AM
did you drive past a bee?

bradc
12-08-2008, 08:16 AM
huh?

Johny
12-08-2008, 08:21 AM
huh?

Hi guys.

Heard a sort of bzzzzz noise very briefly from the back of the car. Was going around a very cambered downhill left hand turn, with my foot off the throttle.

The sound lasted about a 1/2 second, and I didnt look for any lights. I dont think I was going very fast, family in the car and all.

Did I hear the AYC?

Does AYC work with the throttle closed?

bradc
12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
You don't have AYC, only VR-4's came with it.

Perhaps the body work touched a tyre or something like that?

elnevio
12-08-2008, 08:48 AM
fuel pump?

Johny
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
You don't have AYC, only VR-4's came with it.

Perhaps the body work touched a tyre or something like that?

i was quoting the first post in reference to your huh... i never said i had it...

bradc
12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
ohh yeah my bad