PDA

View Full Version : 2 Din GPS/DVD/MP3/FM Head Units

william
30-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Any ideas/advice on the above head units? I have been looking around and was wondering wether they are worthwhile investing in. It seems to me to be a neat way to add quite a bit of kit/function without too much clutter. Which models/makes are the ones to go for?

Robotnik123
30-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Any ideas/advice on the above head units? I have been looking around and was wondering wether they are worthwhile investing in. It seems to me to be a neat way to add quite a bit of kit/function without too much clutter. Which models/makes are the ones to go for?

Well don't get a Uniden brand GPS whatever you do, or you will be lead astray.

william
30-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Thanks Jan, I have been looking at head units that combine all the functions in one unit. I don't think Uniden make something like that

Robotnik123
30-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks Jan, I have been looking at head units that combine all the functions in one unit. I don't think Uniden make something like that

Yeah don't think they do, but if they did, it would be kinda bad more than likely.

danwins224
30-07-2008, 06:05 AM
how much do you want to spend? I'm a bit of a gadget freak and have the Pioneer AVIC-HD 3BT, sat nav, cd, dvd, bluetooth an even has a hard drive that copys your discs straight to the head unit. Pioneer also do the AVIC-D3 for around £450 that has the sat nav and bluetooth.

Ryan
30-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Yeah don't think they do, but if they did, it would be kinda bad more than likely.

:2thumbsup

Ryan
30-07-2008, 06:17 AM
how much do you want to spend? I'm a bit of a gadget freak and have the Pioneer AVIC-HD 3BT, sat nav, cd, dvd, bluetooth an even has a hard drive that copys your discs straight to the head unit. Pioneer also do the AVIC-D3 for around £450 that has the sat nav and bluetooth.

Can you load NZ maps for it?

Robotnik123
30-07-2008, 07:12 AM
:2thumbsup

It is still better than no gps though. And I get where I want to go, even if sometimes by a slightly roundabout route.

william
30-07-2008, 11:23 AM

I have no idea what a reasonable unit will cost. I saw an unit on trademe for $790 loaded with NZ maps but the seller do not mention any brand name so it is probably a dodgy thing.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-stereos/CD-players/Other/auction-167767674.htm

danwins224
30-07-2008, 11:49 AM
the sat nav is loaded into a partition on the H/D so there should be no problems loading your maps.

swinks
30-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, just from my fresh experience...
Try to get somewat what is easily to run from WindowsCE OS and not from own GUI. Then you can just:
NO 1. GPS
- set up any soft (maps for TomTom Navigator 6, SmartST by Navman) or just have one on memo card (usually SD)
- enjoy own navi with external GPS receiver (take feed +12V from lighter) with bluetooth
No 2. TV
- unit with universal TV format are quite handy (PAL-i, B/G, NTSC, etc..)
- whatever is said TV aerial needs at least 20dB gain amplifier somewhere inbetween antenna and unit. Those aerials described on eBay as with build-in amplifier are crap! I removed electric cicuit from camping aerial, fitted one in small plastic box and stick under passenger seat carpet. Don't forget that gain booster needs +12V feed as well.
- units with 2 TV antenna outputs are better. You can provide 2 independent lines which is better for quality.
No 3. Radio.
- only units with built in RDS etc. Saying that 'cos there are plenty units without that.
No. 4. Brand/make
- well-known brands are mostly made in China/Taiwan or HK. As I recall Pioneer's 90% ICE products coming from factory in Shanghai.
- lots of units "no-name" from HK, Taiwan etc. are made from well-branded components (i.e. my HK unit is all Siemens inside, just remove covers...:happy:)

Well that's it.

william
30-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks swinks, that's good advice. I assume you cannot use the GPS and listen to music at the same time, or can you?

MikeKey
30-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I fitted a Kenwood DDX6029 a couple of years back, a 2-DIN touchscreen radio/cd/dvd/mp3 player that you could add a TV tuner, GPS and cd changer to if you wanted. I think the newer ones have GPS and maybe TV built in as standard.

The surround is nice and narrow so you seem to get more screen than some other makes/models. I'm very happy with it anyway! :)

Robotnik123
31-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I have no idea what a reasonable unit will cost. I saw an unit on trademe for $790 loaded with NZ maps but the seller do not mention any brand name so it is probably a dodgy thing.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-stereos/CD-players/Other/auction-167767674.htm

I suspect that one willl be really slow to lock on and register a change of direction. Best to get a name brand - even Uniden I'd say, LOL!

Fully
04-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Boss Head units or New JVC head units. will do all of the above.
Depends on your buget.

william
04-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys. I will go and check up on them

Turbo_Steve
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
The Koreans are also just to bring out the iCom Mk1 - a Windows XP PC in a double DIN headunit, complete with DVD drive and touchscreen, and possibly a built in amplifier.

See here: apart from the CPU being a touch light, it looks the mutts!
http://www.icomzone.com/icom/mk1.asp

william
04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
It does seem to be an impressive bit of kit!

bradc
05-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Richard dropped off his single din cover thing if you still want it William and decide to not go down the double din route :D

william
05-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Thanks Brad. Yes I still want it to keep my options open. No rush though!