PDA

View Full Version : Auto Gearbox!

lee db
03-08-2008, 08:08 PM
my Gearbox went today so god knows when i'll be able to get it fixed and at what cost!!!!!!!!!! /Grrr

if anyone has any suggestions or knows someone that could help????

the recovery guy said it look like the torque converter has sheared from the faceplate, think thats what he called it, so dont know if i need a whole new box or just a couple of bits, either way its gonna cost ££££££, gutted!!

i know its a major problem with the Galants, but if i were to get a new box, have they sorted out the problem???

cheers guys, almost put it up for spares and repairs /pan i was so pi**ed off, but my missus talked sense into me! :happy:

psbarham
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
how much do you want to pay for the box and torque converter? if the price is right i may be persueded to part with one

Nick Mann
03-08-2008, 10:34 PM
The FWD galants suffer from spline strippage. Either the TC or the input shaft splines will be damaged. Your best bet is to replace both, as the likelihood is that whichever one is broke, the other is no longer in good condition.

ANTHONY
03-08-2008, 10:57 PM
sorry to hear this mate. i think EUROSPEC is proberly nearest to you in Guildford

lee db
04-08-2008, 06:37 AM
thanks for the replies guys, i'm really quite gutted, i think i may still have warranty left so i'm checking that out today, but otherwise i will be looking to see how much these things cost new/reconditioned.

thanks for the offer psbarham, i'll bear it in mind, have been offered another too, so i'll see what happens.

cheers

lee

TAR
04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems.

The torque converter has a 4 bolt fixing (gearbox to engine) which can be checked via an inspection plate in the bell housing, If the bolts have sheared it will be obvious from looking in the bellhousing. If this is the case, you would only need a new/reconditioned torque converter - or the bolts drilled out of the existing one.

If the bolts are in place and (manually) turning the engine turns the torque converter, it may be the spline stripped, as mentioned in an earlier post.

lee db
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
the possibles you talked about, are they an expensive fix? i will get it done no matter what, just looking for guide prices

cheers

TAR
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Taking the gearbox out takes a long time, so labour cost is high. I think that on another thread people are talking £200 for a recon torque converter. I'm not sure how much the new spline is, but I'm sure that Nick Mann had his replaced. The TC seal is only a few pounds. :happy:

lee db
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
thanks again for the replies, the guy i bought it from is going to pay 250 towards the repairs and it s 500+ vat for them to take it out, fix it, clean it put it back together then fit it, so not too bad me thinks only trouble is i have to get it to Bexhill!

oh well should be sorted soon

lee db
22-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Still no car!!!! getting pi**ed off now, its not really the garages fault, apparently the supplier has sent their stock to be hardened, which helps with the shearing problem, but they said they are due in any day now and they have the gearbox out and apart ready and waiting, so fingers crossed for next week!