PDA

View Full Version : Knackered Torque Converter

frankoni
03-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I removed the inspection cover on the auto box today, horrified that out of the four bolts holding the torque converter on there was only one bolt secure!!!!!!

One was totally missing, and looked like the bolt had been cross threaded!!
The next one the head had sheared off!
and the next one was in place but just spun round

Im thinking about re-tapping the holes and fitting new bolts , has anyone done this before?? do you think this would work??

Or would i be better looking for a recon one

Nick Mann
03-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I haven't heard of anyone doing it. I'm sure it could be done somehow.

Let us know how you get on!

Wodjno
03-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I removed the inspection cover on the auto box today, horrified that out of the four bolts holding the torque converter on there was only one bolt secure!!!!!!

One was totally missing, and looked like the bolt had been cross threaded!!
The next one the head had sheared off!
and the next one was in place but just spun round

Im thinking about re-tapping the holes and fitting new bolts , has anyone done this before?? do you think this would work??

Or would i be better looking for a recon one

Hmmm ... Never tried it .. But the sheer amount of power that is exerted on these bolts is immense.. I wouldn't try it myself..

It could lead to more expensive problems in the long run..

If you decide to go for a 2nd hand Torque Converter then let me know..
I may be able to sort 1 for you..

Nick Mann
03-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Wodj - the bolts are not that big. I wouldn't have a problem with re-threading and oversizing the bolts. I would make sure that the bolts were a decent grade. 8.8 may not be enough for the application.

Wodjno
03-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Wodj - the bolts are not that big. I wouldn't have a problem with re-threading and oversizing the bolts. I would make sure that the bolts were a decent grade. 8.8 may not be enough for the application.

I know there not that big /yes But they are a Hi tensile bolt..

I wouldn't wanna play around with it :speechles

psbarham
03-08-2008, 10:53 PM
the bolts are a very shallow head design, so if you were to re do them you will have to use genuine mitsu bolts, also i would helicoil the cross threaded one if you feel that is what you want to do, but personally i would fit a new convertor and bolts just to be safe

Nutter_John
04-08-2008, 07:47 AM
This has been discussed before , have a search for a user_id of chocofrog (or something like that ) he had the same issue

Eurospec
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
You can get a recon torque converter from J-pat for about £200. I would then go with new bolts and away you go.

I have seen these bolts go on both manuals and autos and when they do its a fappin mess.

Last one was on a manual- it took out the starter motor, the main engine oil seal, and the edge of the sump. It made a right mess of the clutch pressure plate- though it did survive.

Loctite the buggers in when you put it back together.

Cheers,

Ben.

White Lightning
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Hmm ... torque converters for £200 eh ... that's useful to know Ben /yes

We certainly loctite'd mine back in when we did the engine swap ... I remember Mr. Vee being very fussy about those little blighters.

The Vee
04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Indeed. As mentioned earlier, always thought a lot of power through those 4 little watsits!!

Wodjno
04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
You can get a recon torque converter from J-pat for about £200. I would then go with new bolts and away you go.

This true.. But wouldn't they be reconditioning the internals not the casing..
And if i remember correctly they will be reconditioning your own torque converter. So you will have to send yours in to them and they will recon it and then give you it back... If your bolt holes are knacked, they still will be...

Kieran
04-08-2008, 04:13 PM
This true.. But wouldn't they be reconditioning the internals not the casing..
And if i remember correctly they will be reconditioning your own torque converter. So you will have to send yours in to them and they will recon it and then give you it back... If your bolt holes are knacked, they still will be...

I would say that Jpat would spot and sort that kinda issue Glenn, They've got a good reputation.:scholar:

Wodjno
04-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I would say that Jpat would spot and sort that kinda issue Glenn, They've got a good reputation.:scholar:

Not saying they wouldn't :D

But what would they do to rectify the issue ?

And would the faceplate need replacing also ?

Eurospec
04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, they take your unit and recon it. Last one i had them do from a galant had the ring gear stripped. They replaced that no probs.

I dare say they will spot whatever is up with it and fix it, but whenever i send one off i just say it has x,y and z wrong with it and let them do their stuff.

Cheers,

Ben.

frankoni
07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
My torque converter is now ready to be refitted!! Its had two of the four holes redrilled and tapped one size up and using torque converter bolts from a yank...i will also be using loads of Loctite on the threads.