PDA

View Full Version : speedo problem

strangebat
13-03-2004, 03:50 PM
can anyone help please,
my speedo/ odometer has had an intermittent fault for ages but now its stopped working all together so I thought I'd better fix it. Ihave replaced the sender on the gearbox and checked the connections I can find, does anyone know where a kph to mph converter might have fitted and what it looks like, any other suggestions of what could be wrong would also be appreciated
thanks a lot

simpsonm
13-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I think its behind the dash. I had mine done at the Dealers, £200 it cost but my warranty covered it.

strangebat
13-03-2004, 11:15 PM
cheers for that, but does any one know what it looks like??

Roadrunner
14-03-2004, 08:32 AM
It could be either a mechanical or an electronic one. A mechanical one would be at one end or the other of the speedo cable and would be a fairly obvious cylindrical device that just alters the gearing of the cable. Not too precise but pretty reliable.

I think it's more likely, though, that it would be an electrical device that would be installed on the speedo/odo circuitry behind the dashboard. I guess they come in different forms, dependent on manufacturer, but the one that was fitted to my Subaru Legacy RS-B was black, about 25mm x 12mm x 5mm with, IIRC, four coloured wires coming out of one end.

Brian

strangebat
14-03-2004, 10:23 PM
found it, thanks, I can only presume it slipped into the position it was in, surely no-one would have put it there on purpose!!

h6tls
17-03-2004, 04:04 PM
hi
mines got intermittent problem too could you please let me know how you get on

strangebat
18-03-2004, 09:41 PM
I removed the instrument panel and looked for anything that was obviously an add on and found wires that ahed been solder joined into the wiring, followed them to the unit shown below. I never would have been able to find it without following the wires as it had fallen down into a small gap. I removed that unit and rejoined the wires back to original and that got the speedo working again, i'll need to get another unit to got it reading in mph again though but at least its working.

h6tls
19-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks I'll take A look at mine over the weekend. Hope I'ts that easy!! :thumb1: