PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter oil seal

frankoni
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi,
Ive taken the auto box out of the car to replace the torque converter oil seal to find that the seal was not in place properly.When i replace the seal is it a good idea to either use loctite or super glue to stop the seal from popping out???
Cheers
Frank:speechles

Oh yes i forgot to mention what a A*****e of a job it is to remove the box,
Definetly not a one man job!!!!!!!
/Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr

Nutter_John
05-08-2008, 10:10 AM
The seal should not be able to move once the TC is homed fully , I'd not put any glue on it though

and Yes it is a class 1 pain in the arse job

Fred
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
loctite.

Nick Mann
07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't use any glue. Make sure all surfaces are clean and install the new seal carefully.

It can be done with one man, but it is a tad awkward! Lifting equipment makes the job a LOT easier.

frankoni
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't use any glue. Make sure all surfaces are clean and install the new seal carefully.

It can be done with one man, but it is a tad awkward! Lifting equipment makes the job a LOT easier.

When i removed the torque converter the oil seal was not fully in but after looking at the state of the converter and the crossed threads and sheared bolts thats what probably caused the oil seal to come out. Now the converter has been drilled/tapped it should be ok, so i won't use any glue/loctite on the seal. I'm going to try and get the box back in the car on Sunday, weather permitting.:happy: :happy:

Nick Mann
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Good Luck! :thumbsup:

frankoni
09-08-2008, 07:06 AM
When i replace the torque converter do i have to refill it with ATF??
Also has anyone got the part numbers for the following:-

Exhaust downpipe gasgets
Both driveshaft oil seals
ATF Filter

Cheers
Frank

Nutter_John
09-08-2008, 08:15 AM
the downpipe gaskets and ATF filter are on the camskill website so you can get them from them or at least get the aprt number off there . I would top up the TC with ATF before putting it back , it can be a little messy but it means that it is full of fuild before you top the box up .

Drive shafts seals I don't know off the top of my head but Nick Mann got some so the part number may be in his post about his manual convertion

frankoni
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Nutter John thanks for the info, i just have one more question!!
When i reasemble the box and torque converter i just want to get the car up and running so i was thinking of putting some cheapish atf in and then do a complete flush and refill it with Amsoil,obviously i dont really want to fill it up with Amsoil and then empty it out, what atf should i use ?????

Cheers
Frank:speechles