PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Prop

scc
13-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi,

Has anyone tried removing their bonnet prop and felt a difference with the throttle?

I removed the bonnet prop to clean the corrosion off it, and I instantly noticed a better throttle response when driving the car around. I drove upto 110 mph without realising it because the car was so unusually quiet.

I haven't put the prop back on yet to see if it is due to that, but I noticed that when the prop is layed down, it does sit between the air vents and the air-intake.

Just intrigued....

Spirit
13-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Wow ! This is a new one :-D

Can see it now - everyone rushing out to take their props off - except me as it's pi**ing down at the moment - will wait for some interesting feedback on this one ;)

SGHOM
13-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I laughed when I first read that !!! [ sorry mate ] BUT !!! I think you have a valid point !! never thought about the restricing effect ??
everyone outside, as soon as it stops raining !! :-D :-D

Nick Mann
13-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Okay folks... Methinks that scc could be onto something here....

Spirit
13-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah the prop must be at least 20%+ of the width of the intake and must have a serious effect on the aero dynamics of the air flow into the intake. May be worth a few experiments

colVR4
13-03-2004, 07:03 PM
You could probably further add to the air into the intake by adding a little 'scoop' behind the grill up to the intake under the bonnet lip :p at least another 0.5% BHP !!! ;)

enigma
13-03-2004, 10:32 PM
This has been discussed before! The scoop has been installed by Rhys in NZ, myself and Derek and the issue of the bonnet prop has been considered! The stock intake position is crap!

ritch_w
14-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Okay folks... Methinks that scc could be onto something here....

please help the technically inept!!
which parts the bonnet prop?

thanks

Kieran
14-03-2004, 11:38 AM
The bit that you use to stop the bonnet from falling on you after you've opened it! :)

ritch_w
14-03-2004, 01:07 PM
couldn't see it in the pics for looking at it!
ok got it now - looking at the pics i can see how it can be restrictive

has anyone tries making a scoop to draw air from the grill?
did it make any difference?

scc
27-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Has anyone got any feedback on the bonnet prop removal mod?

Darren
27-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah the intake is crap, also have you ever felt it after you've been driving? The whole cone is really hot on mine, including the filter box. Garbage :(

ritch_w
30-03-2004, 11:40 AM
i had a look about under the bonnet yesterday to see how to improve the stock intake, as far as i see there is not much scope for the following reasons;

1. bonnet prop sits accross stock intake above grill
2. radiator covers full width of grill - so an intake from the grill is impossible
3. headlamp (left) & battery block any possible routes at the front left

the only thing i could think of was to remove the resonator box thing that is attached to the underside of the intake trumpet (if thats the right description ;) lol!) and route a pipe from somewhere around the lower bumper into the vacant hole....
any thoughts on this?

guys with cone filters etc - how do you route cold air to the filter & how do you shield the filter from drawing in hot air?

cheers

Ritch (bored at work!!!)

enigma
30-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Do a search for the patented BDA bean tin solution!!!!

It works well, but I think ultimately locating the filter under the battery in the void in front of the off side wheel arch is the best solution ;)

wirdy
30-03-2004, 12:13 PM
...guys with cone filters etc - how do you route cold air to the filter & how do you shield the filter from drawing in hot air?

cheers

Ritch (bored at work!!!)

For what it's worth, here's my take on the problem, drawing cold air from behind the front airdam. Who knows if it does anything purposeful for performance but it solves my original 'filter element' problem.

Air Feed (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=30756#post30756)