PDA

View Full Version : Towbar electrics question

Jerry Shaw
05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Quite a simple one and anyone who has fitted a towbar will surely know the answer.

Does a 2.0 GLS need a bypass relay??

i.e. Does it have any bulb failure system or anything else that could be affected by towbar electric directly into the loom?

Not bothered if I need one, just don't want to fork out £25 if I dont need to.

Thanks peeps.

william
05-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Mine does not have it fitted and I have not had any problems

The Vee
06-08-2008, 01:18 AM
No bulb failure system was fitted to these as far as I'm aware. Always seems quite lightweight the loom in these, but my tail lamps etc are wired directly to the loom individually for each side. Indicators have their own circuit as it is a legal requirement to have the audible device that alerts you the trailor indicators are working. The Brake lights are done with a relay and as it's a caravan I tow, the charging circuit is is relayed with separate feed with power take for accessories also.

Jerry Shaw
06-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Fabulous. Thanks the the replies.

Obviously, the website I was looking at is just trying to squeeze a bit more cash from customers then, lol.

THE VEE: Can I ask why you have the brake lights through a relay?

Would I be right in assuming its because both sides run from one feed or is it just convenient to be allowing more power than the car circuit?

The Vee
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Yep, fed from one side and with two brake lights and a high level light on the van, it just protects the circuit. Maybe a little overkill but it certainly won't overload anything!

Jerry Shaw
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Yep, fed from one side and with two brake lights and a high level light on the van, it just protects the circuit. Maybe a little overkill but it certainly won't overload anything!

Yes, the power thing was the assumption.

I was thinking of maybe fitting a bypass relay just for that very reason. Are Galants known for eating thier own looms at all?

I would assume not but as you have said, better to be safe than sorry. I actually have 2 split charge relays from other cars, one double and a single.

Seeing as I have a trailer for my camping stuff, I won't need them, so I might donate the relays to a worthy cause and do it that way.

The Vee
06-08-2008, 06:47 PM
No, don't think they are known for problems with the loom. Just seem a little lightweight to me, but having said that, I've always tended to err on the over engineered side. Probably my age!!

Jerry Shaw
07-08-2008, 08:51 AM
but having said that, I've always tended to err on the over engineered side. Probably my age!!

Ha ha, if you could see this trailer I've built, for what its going to carry, sounds like I'm pretty much the same.

EDITED:

Got it all fitted today and with reference to the above post, I couldnt quite believe how small a guage the loom is in the Galant.

Anyway, fitted, tested and all working.