PDA

View Full Version : Legnum Castor way out!!

CamRayner
12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi Guys (And gurlz??)
Thank goodness I've found you all!
My Cuz had just imported a 99 Legnum VR4. (And conveniently been called up to the army for 3 months!)
While he's away, we're getting his ride ready for some well earned THRAS>>>(Careful driving!)
It was pulling hard to the left, so we sent it for the obligatory wheel alignment, only to be told the often repeated (and read in other threads) 'Can't be done'.
We took it to our body man, and after putting it on the rack, has concluded a castor reading of -3 on one side and +5 on the other. Apart from slotting the holes on the towers, has anyone got any ideas on how to rectify this?
He had a good look over the car, and couldnt spot ANY evidence it's been in a crash.
I've googled, but havent had any success finding castor kits.

I'd be wrapped with any feedback.

Ta Heaps. Cam.

Kenneth
12-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Bad news is that there is no way on the standard setup to modify the castor.

Something is either the wrong part, installed incorrectly or damaged.

First thing to check is your lower suspension arms. Check that they are all straight. I believe they have part numbers on them, so note them down and someone with caps can check they are the correct part.

Do the same with all the lower arms, the hub carriers and the upper a-arms. Check they are installed correctly, they aren't bent and that they are the correct part number.

Thats about it really... If the chassis is straight, it has to be something to do with the parts.

bradc
12-08-2008, 07:09 AM
That is indeed very strange. What are the camber readings like? Camber on VR-4's is also non adjustable and falls into a very narrow range on a stock car.

CamRayner
12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Ken, That sounds like the most reasonable answer. We'll put it back up on the hoist Today and take a better look at some of those bits. I'll see how we go for part numbers.

Brad, I Can't remember what the camber settings are like. The Tyres are a tight fit in the guards, (Although they are the tallest low profiles I've ever seen, But I drive a hilux!) It's possible It's been dropped. I'll also check this with the mechanic. (And report back with tyre and rim size.)

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, That's the best they are going to feel all day!" - Frank Sinatra.

Subaru ETA
13-08-2008, 06:53 AM
i had a legnum in at work a few weekes ago and you could actually see one wheel was back on one side. what it was was the lowe arm was bent. but it want obvious because it was thhe rear of the 2 lower arms, which is known as the "bent arm".

inspect and compare these. the one i had the arc was alot tighter. fitted new arm and no more pulling

CamRayner
02-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks heaps for the replies. Our chassis bloke spent 2 days, and eventually got it straight. Anyone know where to get the adjustable camber bolts in Aus? I've had a quick look and a few calls have ended up with 'What's a legnum?'
I suppose it's not too much to have them sent over from the land of the long white cloud. Who do I call?

Ta.
Cam.

Gly
02-09-2008, 05:59 AM
you cant use camber bolts,

they dont work with legnum suspension,

theres a couple of guides in the articals section,

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=135

scott.mohekey
19-07-2009, 10:56 PM
The castor is out on my osf suspension. However, according to the Tony's Tyres guy the camber balances it out somewhat (the camber is out a bit on each side). I have all the details on a sheet in the car.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just replace all the arms and ball joints in mine.