PDA

View Full Version : Replacing saloon number plate bulbs - how?!

HMG1K
13-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Just tried to do, what I thought was a 5 minute job and I'm stumped!

On my facelift saloon there is one screw on each of the rear number plate lens housing, underneath the garnish strip that says G A L A N T

I've unscewed these, wiggled them around and I can't get the lens' off. The owners manual seems to suggest, going by the graphic, that there are two screws on each lens.

By the looks of things I have to unscrew the inner-lining card of the boot lid, and unscrew and remove the garnish trim to get to the lights - is this right :inquisiti or am I being a spanner..?/pan

n13l pm
14-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Nah mate if you removed the screw all you have to do is silde it and pull. Go to the lamp housing on the right hand side, slide it to the left then pull the right hand side while pushing it to the left.. thats all. The same way the side repeaters housings are designed.

n13l pm
14-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Nah mate if you removed the screw all you have to do is silde it and pull. Go to the lamp housing on the right hand side, slide it to the left then pull the right hand side while pushing it to the left.. thats all. The same way the side repeaters housings are designed.

If it doesnt work that way round try it the other way round.. if its not been done before it can be a bit hard the first time but once its loose its a minor to do.

HMG1K
14-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice one - thank you so much! Will give it a try tomorrow evening!

Really appreciate your help - I thought I was going mad!

n13l pm
14-08-2008, 12:16 AM
lol. No probs. You looking to upgrade to LEDs? Iv done it and it looks immense.

HMG1K
14-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I bought bog standard bulbs from Halfords tonight for it - but I think, looking at the Halford bulbs, I have the same fitment already in Philips BlueVision. I was sent the pack when I bought my X Treme bulbs as a freebie. This could be my chance to get rid of them on the car - otherwise I'll use the Halfords ones.

What are your LCDs like on the numberplates?!

n13l pm
14-08-2008, 12:38 AM
I bought bog standard bulbs from Halfords tonight for it - but I think, looking at the Halford bulbs, I have the same fitment already in Philips BlueVision. I was sent the pack when I bought my X Treme bulbs as a freebie. This could be my chance to get rid of them on the car - otherwise I'll use the Halfords ones.

What are your LCDs like on the numberplates?!

Yeah the Philips BlueVision often given out free are ones you can use.

The LED's are amazing on the numberplate mate.. they light up that area with a crisp sharp led brightness (super super white, none of this yellow stuff), in fact they are soo bright they light up the floor nicely aswell. Looks as effective as the LED sidelight upgrade.

HMG1K
14-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :afro:

Worked a treat - thanks to your help and advice! :scholar:

philip

n13l pm
14-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :afro:

Worked a treat - thanks to your help and advice! :scholar:

philip

No probs matey. Did you install the Philips BlueVision ones?

HMG1K
14-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Yep, the BlueVision are in and they are so bright! I'm really pleased with this style of bulb, and now I'be got them as my sidelights. Best / closest alternative to LEDs seeings the hassle I had trying to get them to work on my sidelights!

n13l pm
14-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Yep, the BlueVision are in and they are so bright! I'm really pleased with this style of bulb, and now I'be got them as my sidelights. Best / closest alternative to LEDs seeings the hassle I had trying to get them to work on my sidelights!

Yeah your best off using them for your sidelights aswell.. your sidelight problem is a strange one!!