PDA

View Full Version : Removal of the Radio

Delzx7r
13-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I know that there is a guide to dismantling the centre part of the facia but I can't access it because I haven't joined as a full member yet! This I may well do in the near future but I`d like to get a feel for what level of advice is available before I commit myself to spending any more cash!...
So...I have a problem with the cd/radio head unit in as much as whoever installed it has not wired it up to a permanent power source so when I switch the engine off the radio loses all of its presets!...Also I have a rear-view camera I'd like to install because the radio also has a dvd player and this has a camera facility.
I've looked at the dash-board centre console and I'm damned if I can see how to start taking it to bits so a bit of advice would be much appreciated!

peter thomson
14-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Remove the gear lever panel first by prying it up from the back ,careful not too mark it and then pull the main console from the bottom, careful to remove the wires from the cigarrette lighter and ac controls.

ANTHONY
14-08-2008, 12:07 AM
here is a tease from the members section,

Below is a guide to removing your centre console trim panels - the ones that surround the gearshift assembly and the stereo and aircon bits.

You'll need the following:

A flat blade screwdriver
An old duster
Some elbow grease

Difficulty:

This is a doddle. If you can do the dashboard clock shroud, you'll be able to do this with your eyes closed!

Notes:
This guide uses my GLS as the example. If your car has climate control, please observe the following:

The climate control unit has two multi-plugs and an air feed attatched. As the center panel is pulled away, these must be released from the back. It can be awkward to relocate these on reassembly, but make sure the air feed is back on properly. Without this the cabin temp reads high (because there's no air feed to the sensor) and the climate control will over-cool the cabin.

If you have an MMCS unit, then you may have more difficulty. I'm not sure how easy the MMCS stereo head unit is to remove (it's all integrated). You'll also need to take extra care not to damage the LCD screen, and the above warnings about the climate control airfeed may also apply.

so well worth the membership as there is loads more info like this.

elnevio
14-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Ok - you've asked nicely! But I'll have to summarise:

Take off the gear-stick surrounding facia, it pops up and you're away - you must take this out first, otherwise you'll break the centre console facia trying to remove it!

The centre console is also attached by way of clips - I find the easiest way to remove this is to put your hand through the back of the glove-box - you will need to drop the glove-box from its retained position - and push the back of the climate control unit to pop the top clips, then gradually pull the facia forward, releasing the middle then bottom clips. You will need to unplug the climate control (including air pipe), and the cigarette lighter leads and bulbs. If yours is an auto, you might find it easier to put the car in drive (engine not running) so the gear lever is better placed for more room!

The radio cage is bolted to the main frame by two screws underneath at the back, they should be easy to spot. Which you need to take out to get to the back of the head unit!

Hope that helps!

elnevio
14-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh

Seems we've all been helpful!!

Good for us!

Delzx7r
14-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Excellent help guys...Thank you very much!...I had an Idea that removal was pretty similar to the Evo centre panel because the air-con/climate panel is the same and everything around that was held with clips. Fortunately I don't think I'll need to go that high as the radio is an aftermarket affair that has been mouted lower down so I think that just tremoving the bottom section of the dash will be sufficient!
Thanks for your help once again!

By the way...Sorry for the delay in replying but I'm in work all night so I have to link remotely to my machine at home to use the Forums and I only get the chance when things are quiet workwise!

Nick Mann
14-08-2008, 06:55 PM
If the radio is mounted behind the dash, then the aircon needs to come away too. It is one panel, from just under the air vents, all the way to just below the ashtray.

abdielhiram
16-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Above is the proof that Galant is The GentlemenĀ“s Evo..... You can find for sure very nice people in here.... :)

I guess your radio problem is the accesory wire is plug with the Battery + wire.
Usually all aftermarket manufacturers use a yellow wire for the B+ and a red wire for the Accesory. You will get +12 on the Accesory while move the key to acc possition. B+ gives you a steady +12V