PDA

View Full Version : TV monitors

SGHOM
14-03-2004, 11:34 AM
I've just purchased a 'bobby bargain' DVD player, & two 5.5" monitors !!
I'd ideally like to fit the monitors neatly into the headrests, but as with everything cheap, "you get what you pay for" . :$ the controls for them are on both sides ! not condusive to fitting !!
How do you think I should fit them ?? Velcro them on & sod it ? or try to cut them in ?? cutting them in should not pose a problem, it's just the access to the controls ?? do I cut the hole wider in order to get my fingers in ? , or do I fit it tight, & leaver it out each time & want to adjust them ?? :help:

Nick Mann
14-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Stealing my 'bobby bargain' line? ;)

What are the controls? Will you ever need to get to them? I would say sink them right in and move the controls to somewhere more convenient. (That is only possible if you own a soldering iron, though!!) :p

Spirit
14-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Derek where do the cables go to connect them up ?

SGHOM
14-03-2004, 11:48 AM
www.kingavon.com TV65, for a better view of the monitor.
the controls on the left are; on/off, bright, contrast, colour, power supply, on the right, antenna, tune, uhf/etc, vol, av in, & ear !!
its not a romote control monitor, so me thinks I may need to use these from time to time !!
As for the DVD player itslelf ??? mmm.... needs to be activatable ?? by remote. so the boot is out the question ??

SGHOM
14-03-2004, 12:12 PM
2 other options are, mount the monitors to the hard plastic back of the seat, [ they come with adjustable brackets ] pic 1. or mount just one to the rear of the centre compartment, again, on the adjustable bracket ?? [ pic 2 ]
although the wires connect to the unit at both sides, they could be disguised, and fed doen the back of the seat to the DVD player ?? I think !! :$

Nick Mann
14-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I like option 2. Where would you put the 2nd screen then? In the front somewhere?

Brind
14-03-2004, 03:51 PM
If you leave stuff like the volume out set to a required level you shouldn't need to touch it if it's linked to you car speakers.

The contrast etc shouldn't really need to be changed all that often so leave it how you like it.

If you're only gonna use it for AV output then you could leave that set on, unless it reverts back when power is taken away from it, you may need to open it up and remote that switch to somewhere easier.

If the tuning controls are needed, for watching normal TV then you may need the remote those switches too.

The power supply can easily be remoted anyway.

I'd bung 'em in the headrest and remote what was needed, if they're that cheap then I wouldn't think twice about doctoring them.

Spirit
14-03-2004, 06:25 PM
How would you mount them in the headrest Derek ? The ones I have came with the optional headrest mounting kit. This not only allows the screen to be removed easily but the kit part of mine was attached to the internal metal bars of the seat to hold it in place, is this possible on yours ?

wirdy
14-03-2004, 08:15 PM
I've been looking into this sort of kit myself Derek.
I don't want the expense / hassle of cutting my headrests either, unless I can get hold of some spare ones to put back in at a later date.
My solution is to use a headrest bracket like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3079255930&category=14946&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

This auction ended a while back but you can see the item attaches to the two chrome uprights of the headrest and then onto the threaded hole in the back of your monitor (I assume your monitors have these) I'm sure the guy has some more if you e-mail him.
Good luck with the install.

SGHOM
14-03-2004, 09:10 PM
I think I'm just going to mount the one monitor between the rear seats. spoke to those in charge, [ the kids ] & they seem to think that they'll be able to view it OK. also, that will make it easier to get a new antenna into the boot, so the TV will be viewable.
Unlike Pete, my system will be rarely used, so I'm not too concerned about the location.
As for the other monitor ??? err... pass ?? :$

Spirit
14-03-2004, 10:01 PM
As for the other monitor ??? err... pass ?? :$

Fit it in the glovebox mate ;)

SimoP
15-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Greetings from Finland!

I've a even better idea to install my monitor(doubt if this works for you because I think you have a different kind of dash..)

Check this out:
http://www.swaboteam.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=124

Monitor will be installed to those 2 din-slots, and connected to radio like this:
http://www.swaboteam.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=65&pos=10

What do you think?

SGHOM
21-03-2004, 01:43 PM
It's almost finished, & only took me about a couple of hours !! just got to find a way to hide the wires going to the monitor ??
drilled hole in the centre of the mounting bracket, & then drilled a small pilot hole in the center of the arm rest. one screw straight through, & its fixed tight !!
I had to shorten the grub screw which fixes the monitor to the bracket, so that it fits tight.
all the wires from the DVD player were then threaded under the center console into the storage box, sfter taking out the inner box. & a quick snip & joint onto the wires which power the storage box light, & hey presto, !! we have pictures !!!
Before anyone asks, yes !!! it will only work with the lights on, but as I always drive with my spots on anyway, It's not a problem !!
Kids are now happy, so I'm happy !! :-D :-b And the center piece of carpet covers the DVD player when not in use. couldn't put it in the boot, because it's only the DVD player thats remote control !!

Spirit
21-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Well done mate ;)

wirdy
21-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Looks good Derek :)

I like the idea that you can kill the TV, by turning off the lights, if the kids begin arguing! :-D

nick-f1
21-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Well done mate! It looks good, might do something similar for my kids-- but me thinks it might cause more arguements than ever, my son will want to watch Father Ted dvds whilst my daughter will want to listen to the Black eye peas or something!!!! :rolleyes5

SGHOM
21-03-2004, 10:23 PM
And the total cost of the installation ???
DVD player, £55 + vat
monitor, £50 + vat
labour, zero rated !! :D :D