PDA

View Full Version : Should all petrol stations have a saucer on the counter?

SGHOM
16-08-2008, 10:02 PM
IMHO they should !

Just topped the Saaaab up with £40.01 & they insisted on the 1p /Grrr [safeway, chesterfield rd]
A lot of the smaller places have a saucer/dish full of the odd loose change, so if you go over.... like I did... the penny or two is there :afro: most people add to the collection, not take away.

money grabbing g!ts /Grrr

Nevman
16-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Well...
You've topped up with £40.01 than pay £40.01
It's only their good will if they don't ask for 1p.

That is my 2p :D :D :D

SGHOM
16-08-2008, 10:13 PM
That is my 2p :D :D :D

see above...... thats my 3p's worth /pan

TAR
16-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Its that last dribble after you thought you'd finished which gets you every time!!

:happy:

SGHOM
16-08-2008, 10:21 PM
At £1 odd a litre, It's hard not to dribble !! :inquisiti especialy at my age !!

But you get my point ?

ianturbo
16-08-2008, 10:27 PM
The one near me has a saucer full of pennies !! but if i fiiled up with 10p extra then i don't think the saucer would come into play !!! /pan
ian

Nevman
16-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I thought it was just 1p... /pan /pan /pan

bigsed
16-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Its a nice idea but I think so many people pay on card now that the bigger garages just see it as lost revenue space to sell solar powered lights or binoculars. Just my 2p worth...

Robotnik123
16-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Sadly, in NZ they've gotten rid of 1c, 2c, and 5c pieces. I find the rounding shops do because of this rather annoying actually.

pitslayer
17-08-2008, 03:04 AM
theres one garage near me where i refuse to pay the extra penny, because it always gets added on when the pump gets put back in the holder. they got a bit arsey when i mentioned it loudly in a the kiosk when it was full of people, and everyone agreed, there pumps always do it. should send wieghts and measures up there but i dont use it that often

Nevman
17-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Don't take it personally. It's just the culture difference. In Poland that would never be the case. Filled up £40.01 worth of petrol - pay £40.01. If they don't ask for 1p it's just their good will.

ianturbo
17-08-2008, 10:50 PM
theres one garage near me where i refuse to pay the extra penny, because it always gets added on when the pump gets put back in the holder. they got a bit arsey when i mentioned it loudly in a the kiosk when it was full of people, and everyone agreed, there pumps always do it. should send wieghts and measures up there but i dont use it that often
you have a mask an a horse calleds black Bess then Dick ???

apeman69
17-08-2008, 11:33 PM
theres one garage near me where i refuse to pay the extra penny, because it always gets added on when the pump gets put back in the holder.
I know which one you mean and this garage pi&&es me off. You've gotta ease the pump back in ever so gently and push the trigger away from you or it ALWAYS adds another 1p on. Imagine how much they're making on this, what is essentially, a downright fiddle. /Grrr
With petrol prices as they are the garages need to make the pump triggers a bit more sensitive so it's easier to hit your monetary target on the nail. This wasn't a problem when petrol was under a pound a litre but now it seems like the slightest squeeze of the trigger adds 2 or 3p onto the display!

When you pre-pay though (what's with having half the pumps as pre-pay and the other half normal?) it never goes above the amount you've paid for!

Nevman
17-08-2008, 11:46 PM
You shall not use this garage then /pan

Mark 4
17-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Fill up, pay up, shut up.

apeman69
18-08-2008, 12:45 AM
You shall not use this garage then /pan
But I still do..... /pan /pan /pan

Nevman
18-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Learn your mistakes...

IainVR4
18-08-2008, 01:34 AM
put notes in it and i'll get free petrol ha ha

apeman69
18-08-2008, 01:43 AM
put notes in it and i'll get free petrol ha ha
:inquisiti You on about the pre-pay? Around here you go into the garage, pay for the petrol and then fill your car with how ever much you've paid for.
Cannot see any advantage of this system other than you won't go 1p over your budget and be embarrassed by a snotty git asking you for 1p which you haven't got. :speechles
If there was a separate payment desk dedicated to pre-pay pumps then there may be a time-saving advantage but there isn't: still gotta queue with the 'common people' /Grrr
What's the point?

Nevman
18-08-2008, 11:00 AM
How about trying to put in £39.99 worth of petrol to avoid embarrassment? Or even £39.95 to play safe :)

apeman69
18-08-2008, 01:17 PM
How about trying to put in £39.99 worth of petrol to avoid embarrassment? Or even £39.95 to play safe :)
:soapbox: :rolleyes4 :coat

pitslayer
18-08-2008, 03:36 PM
ive put 39.99 in, and it still jumped to 40.01. i only use it for emergency.
where i work and live i have 2 choices of petrol station...both are in newport.
reason why,
Usk petrol station is still 117.9 for petrol, and its BP, and its really bad petrol, had to put 10 quid in the VR, used it in 6 miles and it ran like crap. same with most of the cars taken there.
then theres the above petrol station who always put the extra penny on, but i only ever put 5 quid in here, so i can get to either of the shell stations in newport

the only other choices apart from using the extra penny garage, is Tesco, but it takes forever there, as everyone fills up there, or go to the esso garage, which i dont like.

i wont pay that 1p purely out of principal, that it is pure robbery, ive been in there when someone has walked in, paid £40, she said 40.01, he told her to f off it was 40 when i put it down, im sick of this garage putting an extra penny on, daylight robbery and walked out

apeman69
18-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Way to go pits!!! I'm with you on this one. /Grrr

Nevman
18-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Typical Brits /pan
Complain about everything.
Jeeez, people listen to yourself: Too expensive, too long to wait, too much to pay...
Is there actually anything in your life to NOT complain about? /pan /pan /pan

Beastlee
18-08-2008, 06:46 PM
in Germany a lot of pumps have a selection of buttons that you can press to select how much fuel you want to pay for. You press the button then set the nozzle to the auto-fill position (a lot of UK pumps used to have this feature) and once it hits your amount it stops.

Frustratingly there's no literage button only money. When you have to pay with 10L coupons it's frustrating not being able to top it all the way up as you nearly always waste a good protion of the last 10L!

Kieran
18-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Typical Brits /pan
Complain about everything.
Jeeez, people listen to yourself: Too expensive, too long to wait, too much to pay...

You missed 'Bloody smart-ass foreigners' off your list! /Nuuu /pan :D

Nevman
18-08-2008, 07:46 PM
You missed 'Bloody smart-ass foreigners' off your list! /Nuuu /pan :D
Yeah, I thought I've missed something.
Thanks Ging /Devil5

pitslayer
18-08-2008, 08:16 PM
its a matter of principles. it might only be 1p, they can have it if i genuinely put 1p over, but if there machine puts that extra penny in, then they will have to prise it from my cold dead hands

96vr-4
18-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I go to the petrol station and count how much is in the dish then go fill up that amount!! And who says theres no such thing as a free meal!

Mark 4
18-08-2008, 11:38 PM
God, I wish my life were so simple that I could be concerned with such trivial nonsense and then have sufficient energy to whinge and whine about it.

shaun1978
18-08-2008, 11:39 PM
How about instead of running yer car so low pits, change the way you do things so that you always have enough to get to the better stations, my sister does the same and runs the car until its nearly dry , I just wonder WHY???

Nevman
18-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I usually know what is the price on my local stations.
Whenever I'm below half tank and see better price being up on the road, I fill it all the way up.

psbarham
19-08-2008, 08:13 AM
i fill up with petrol to get from A - B, not to help the aged /lol

Beastlee
19-08-2008, 08:28 AM
I run mine as low as reasonable, normally about 15litres left. I do this for two reasons. One is the coupon issue mentioned above, at least I know I'm going to get 30 litres in each time. The other is because the petrol station is in the wrong direction to where we normally drive. Only Aral/BP, Shell and Esso take the coupons and Esso doesn't do 100RON. I therefore only use the other two and in reality only stick to BP Ultimate. It's not as common to find a filling station over here and on the Autobahn they are very rare.
I must buy a couple of jerry cans to carry on longer runs!

Alex
19-08-2008, 08:49 PM
AS I don't particularly like to spend more time at the petrol station than i have to, and I will always need fuel to run my car, I just keeping adding fuel till it cuts out - whatever the final figure.

Besides with petrol prices at the moment, you have to factor in the cost of each trip to the petrol station :inquisiti