PDA

View Full Version : Vr4 Wannabe

DarkAngel79
19-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Hello all on the VR4 forum
I am currently looking into purchasing a vr4. Ive had my FTO for a few years now and have always fancied moving up towards the vr4. I just wondered if anyone else has made the jump from FTO to Vr4, whats it like in comparison?

Also i am undecided weither to go for the legnum or saloon vr4, i am currently deciding on the saloon but i am not sure how big the boot is as i require some practicality. Could any1 please send some pics of the saloons boot as i just want to get an idea of the size of it compared to the legnum

Thanks
DA

koss1
19-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi I had the fto gpx for eight years loved the car have now got the legnum I feel sometimes that ive got an old estate car until I step outside and view the beast and the look on peoples faces as I drive past them apart from the fuel consumption I love the car to bits you won't be dissapointed.:pimp2:

Nevman
19-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Go for saloon! It looks MUCH, MUCH, MUCH (...) better.
I have a feeling that most of the legnum owners will not agree with me /Devil5
For the practicality, legnum is better option but if you won't be moving house every week or have 2 large dogs you'll be fine with saloon. Still reasonably large boot.

Big Ian
19-08-2008, 10:19 PM
saloon boot space is fairly large
not a great pic ... the box lying in my VR4's boot is about 11"x 9"
http://gi245.photobucket.com/groups/gg61/32O5606B0G/101_3136.jpg

Legnum's boot is MASSIVE! :scholar:

ANTHONY
19-08-2008, 10:27 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but i belive the rear seat on a vr4 saloon do not fold down like on a uk sport. so if you want to carry long items the legnum may be better

Nevman
19-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Enough for two - three adult bodies (size dependant) :D :D :D

Nevman
19-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Recaros doesn't fold unfortunately but you can (probably) easily remove them. Not sure about standard.

DarkAngel79
20-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all ur help peeps, cheers for the pic big Ian that boots definately bigger than my fto. I to have a GPX but its getting a bit impractical at the momment as getting into the transistion from man to family guy. A compromise between a family and performance so it was either gonna be a vr4 or an audi s4. The s4 is too expensive for my budget, well i could get one but it would have about 130k on the clock.
Plus i like the agressive look of the saloon and legnum plus the fact of it looks like a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing so can cause the local chavs a few upsets /lol I mean i not too worried about running costs as the fto in normally get about 25-35mpg and ive got a few ins quotes and it aint much more to insure as i am already with sky ins with the fto and i know fto members get discount with sky so i am sure u guys do as ive seen sky ins adverts on the webpage.

Nevman
20-08-2008, 12:29 AM
You'll be very lucky if you'll get 25mpg out of galant/legnum.
Average is 20mpg I'd say.
And the car can be a huge surprise for the boy-racers on the traffic lights and roundabouts /rally

DarkAngel79
20-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I knew the mpg was gonna be higher due to the fact its a 2.5tt but i only do a 18 mile round trip into work so i aint that bad. Ive been told the grip in the vr4's are excellent due to the active yaw control.

Roberto
20-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I'll make a shout for the lesser fuel drinking manual gearbox, if you can get one.

I'm averaging constantly around the 25+MPG, if that helps.
And thats not exactly driving with economy in mind.

And grip is great, just ask the FWD or RWD motors left behind on the back roads.

DarkAngel79
20-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Yer a manual would be nice but just like the fto manuals are rare. But still none the less ive driven my friends triptronic with no disappointment & the auto is ok when i am in lazy mode plus the invecs adapts to ur driving style.

Nevman
20-08-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm averaging constantly around the 25+MPG, if that helps.

But you're driving only downhill Roberto :D :D :D

Roberto
20-08-2008, 12:45 AM
And with a strong tail wind....that's where the Legnum helps over the Galant :iloveyou:

Nevman
20-08-2008, 12:56 AM
:D :D :D :D :D Soooo true :D :D :D :D :D

DarkAngel79
20-08-2008, 02:42 AM
I am looking forward to searching for1 provided i have no probs selling the fto. So what its like in the vr4 club are the mini meets good as i have met many a good friends via the ftooc. Has any1 made the jump from ftooc to vr4oc?

Nevman
20-08-2008, 09:37 AM
There are mini meets around and so the Big events.
Next one is TRAX @ Silverstone
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32701&highlight=trax
and JopShow Finale @ SantaPod
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33668

To be honest mate £20 paid for your membership will be the best money spend onto your car. Plenty of info in membership area and friendly/helping people.
You won't regret it :2thumbsup

DarkAngel79
20-08-2008, 01:39 PM
To be honest mate £20 paid for your membership will be the best money spend onto your car. Plenty of info in membership area and friendly/helping people.
You won't regret it :2thumbsup

Yer i have enjoyed being an ftooc member so fingers crossed. If i can get a good deal with sky ins as i am already a customer to jump to a vr4, i mean i pay about £500 at the mo for my GPX.

Can anyone also tell me whats it like as a family car is it pretty practical? i know the legnum is a its got a massive boot but what about the saloon.

pogman
20-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I made the move from an FTO GPX to a Galant VR4 a few weeks ago, didn't think there would be too much difference.... how wrong i was!!

i upgraded for size wise to future proof my car while keeping the power i was used to in the fto. definatly made the right choice.
The VR4 is much quicker off the line and one the turbo's kick in, it's like the MIVEC engne changing to the high speed cam on the FTO. I not getting too much less mpg out of the vr4, but i never really drove the fto for economy!

In short, go for it! Glad i did!

DarkAngel79
20-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I made the move from an FTO GPX to a Galant VR4 a few weeks ago, didn't think there would be too much difference.... how wrong i was!!

i upgraded for size wise to future proof my car while keeping the power i was used to in the fto. definatly made the right choice.
The VR4 is much quicker off the line and one the turbo's kick in, it's like the MIVEC engne changing to the high speed cam on the FTO. I not getting too much less mpg out of the vr4, but i never really drove the fto for economy!

In short, go for it! Glad i did!

Cheers pogman that more or less the same reason why i want to make the jump as i need something family car size but still keep the performance (happy medium). I am not going to be getting one til dec time as i am out the country til then. But just wanted to do my homework first & so far i am liking what i see.

pitslayer
21-08-2008, 12:44 AM
ive owned 2 galants, not VR4s but the V6s, and now have a legnum VR4. i would go with the leggy any day, more space, better visibilty all around and much more fun upseting people in an estate car.
V6s rear vision is quite terrible imho especially with a spoiler. good thing with a leggy you can see everything around you, and you never realise how much boot space you really have and how much you can fit in there.
the Galant suffers the same problem as the FTO boot but to a much lesser extent. what i mean is the boot is plenty big, just getting stuff in can be a bit awkward.
and again even though i have a tiptronic box, i would prefer to go manual, i think you loose a lot of the feel of driving when you dont have a clutch to stamp on, and at least the gear changes in a manual are around the right way.

Nevman
21-08-2008, 12:53 AM
and at least the gear changes in a manual are around the right way.
They are around the right way in AT if you'll let the gearbox to learn properly :D
You can always choose tip /rally

DarkAngel79
21-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I thought about the legnum originally and they are more commonly available, plus i like the colours of metallic purple and the white. Got to find one with leather seats mind and not the tan leather i am not too much a fan of that.

One of my other cars is an auto but i dont drive it that often as its a weekend car, but i do feel the need to slam my left foot in to the floor sometimes /duh.

valleyforge1
21-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Mike the Miller (avatar "po-ta-toes) could probably help you out as he had a GTO, PM him.

Hi and /Welcome2

ritch_w
22-08-2008, 09:34 AM
i too had a manual FTO GPX for a short while, great for backroads etc but crap for 180mile commute. You will love the VR4 as the power is addictive.

As for saloon or Legnum - what ever suits you best, I've had both and they were fantastic. My personal preference would be for the legnum as its so handy if you have kids etc.

DarkAngel79
22-08-2008, 01:27 PM
i too had a manual FTO GPX for a short while, great for backroads etc but crap for 180mile commute. You will love the VR4 as the power is addictive.

As for saloon or Legnum - what ever suits you best, I've had both and they were fantastic. My personal preference would be for the legnum as its so handy if you have kids etc.

Cheers ritch-w i must agree with the FTO as it is great as a B road blaster but ive done 150 mile journeys in them and its not soo good on the lower back.

Thinking the Legnum might be better for me in terms of futureproof as my missus and i want kids within the next few years so will make a good family car plus its a compromise i think even she will agree with, as unfortunatly my missus aint a petrolhead and doesnt understand my need for speed lol.

RobboVR4
28-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Hello its DarkAngel79 here, i am back but ive actually joined the VR4 club under a new name. But also wanted to ask a few questions.

What are the Legnum retailers like in the North ive seen a few Ebony and Ivory, Phat and Modified plus a few others?

And can some one show me the link for the VR4 buyers guide please?

Thanks

Robbo

elnevio
28-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Welcome back!

Click on Resources from the menu at the top right, and the buyer's guide is in there... :scholar:

miller
28-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Hello its DarkAngel79 here, i am back but ive actually joined the VR4 club under a new name. But also wanted to ask a few questions.

What are the Legnum retailers like in the North ive seen a few Ebony and Ivory, Phat and Modified plus a few others?

And can some one show me the link for the VR4 buyers guide please?

Thanks

Robbo

Ebony and Ivory did have a good rep but lately we have learned of a few horror stories.

Phat and Modified AFAIK has just registered on this forum advertising a 'super' VR4

Mike

pitslayer
28-10-2008, 04:58 PM
They are around the right way in AT if you'll let the gearbox to learn properly :D
You can always choose tip /rally
no no, the tip changes are wrong way around you need to switch them, so up goes down and down goes up

RobboVR4
28-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Ebony and Ivory did have a good rep but lately we have learned of a few horror stories.

Phat and Modified AFAIK has just registered on this forum advertising a 'super' VR4

Mike

More or less what they said on the FTO forum about E&I. I ve seen quite a few advertised by Phat and modified and they seem to sell fairly quickly, id seen the super vr4 on pistonheads looked mint but i am sure ive never heard of a super vr4.

elnevio
28-10-2008, 05:34 PM
no no, the tip changes are wrong way around you need to switch them, so up goes down and down goes up
There was a thread on this earlier this year, with a link to an article on OZVR4:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30040

So do it!

RobboVR4
29-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi i am having a problem on the other forums i bought my membership yday and it has me up as a member but it wont let me into any of the other forums apart from newbies. Does this take a while for my previlages to come into play so i can access the other forums?

edited
Its ok now can gain access to other forums.

elnevio
29-10-2008, 04:56 PM
You're shown as a member, so I wouldn't have thought you'd be having issues? Maybe it's only just (literally!) been activated?

Try again maybe?

RobboVR4
30-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Just another question again does the back seats on the legnum and galant saloon fold down?

miller
30-10-2008, 10:58 PM
the back seats on the Legnum fold down, they are split 60/40 i think. I dont think the Galants fold down though.

RobboVR4
30-10-2008, 11:10 PM
the back seats on the Legnum fold down, they are split 60/40 i think. I dont think the Galants fold down though.

Ok cheers just seen a very nice Galant vr4 in the for sale section. It looks mint in white and lowered and a bargain at £2995, shame iam stuck in the Falkland Islands for another 3 weeks :sad3:

elnevio
30-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, the Galant VR4 saloon rear seats are fixed, whereas the UK-spec Galant (i.e. not VR-4s) saloon's seats are 60/40 split.