PDA

View Full Version : Reversing camera

Delzx7r
22-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Fitted a nice little reversing camera ( in between the torrential rain showers ) this morning! Nice little gadget. Easy to fit as it works wirelessly so all the cables and the transmitter fit neatly behind the tailgate panel. The monitor power source is from the lighter socket! makes a hell of a difference reversing because I find the Legnum has some awkward blind spots!...:scholar:

Nevman
22-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Nice one mate.
Post some pics, would you?

MikeKey
22-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Do you have a link to where you got it? :)

Delzx7r
22-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I`ll post some pics up later...

I got it from a place called Motorneeds here in Liverpool...The guy who owns the place is a good friend of mine...I`ve been going there for years..I think he does mail order and he has an E-bay shop...I'll get the link for you over the weekend!

Delzx7r
22-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Here are some pics...Camera is mounted just under the tailgate latch so it's weather protected...although it is waterproof anyway!

orionn2o
22-08-2008, 03:21 PM
looks nice, how much was that setup?? Did you pay for it all as one?

Only reason i ask is that ive got a screen, would just like a nice wireless cam !

Delzx7r
22-08-2008, 03:38 PM
It came as a complete package....Price should be £129 but I got it for £100....I think there are wireless cams on E-bay but you need to make sure your screen can receive the transmissions!

Beastlee
22-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Sorry have to comment as I'm curious.....how do you see out of your windscreen? I think you might need a camera facing forward so you can see past the myriad of things you've stuck in the way. As you spend considerably more time looking forwards surely it's better to have a clear windscreen (and see the pedestrians and cyclists) than it is to look behind you, find speed cameras or check your mobile phone?

On a separate note, I like the idea of the wireless camera but I'd want it to interface with a CarPC or just a small receiver with tv out on it.

Finally what part of L'Pool are you from? My parents are in Crosby where I grew up.

Delzx7r
22-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry have to comment as I'm curious.....how do you see out of your windscreen? I think you might need a camera facing forward so you can see past the myriad of things you've stuck in the way. As you spend considerably more time looking forwards surely it's better to have a clear windscreen (and see the pedestrians and cyclists) than it is to look behind you, find speed cameras or check your mobile phone?

On a separate note, I like the idea of the wireless camera but I'd want it to interface with a CarPC or just a small receiver with tv out on it.

Finally what part of L'Pool are you from? My parents are in Crosby where I grew up.
Ha ..Yeah I know what you're getting at...Fact is The stuff is mounted low and not in my line of site...I have no need to look at the phone because everything is handsfree...The speed camera warning is an audible alarm so I never look at it and the camera only works when in reverse!....
Anyway ..I'm in Stoneycroft which is by West Derby although I grew up in Aintree and know Crosby well! :)

Beastlee
23-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Sorry, realised how judgemental I sounded, wasn't meant that way.

I don't have a camera detector but I use the GPS based maps in my Sat-Nav. They work for the most part but of course I have to have a reliable update system and I can still get caught by temp/handheld ones.

I'm still liking the idea of the wireless camera. I'd like to find a two camera system (front and rear). I was thinking that your one could be fixed to the back of the rear-view mirror as a forward view. What battery is used in the camera? I think that may be the biggest issue...battery life. Would be interested to know how long they last.

Delzx7r
23-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry, realised how judgemental I sounded, wasn't meant that way.

I don't have a camera detector but I use the GPS based maps in my Sat-Nav. They work for the most part but of course I have to have a reliable update system and I can still get caught by temp/handheld ones.

I'm still liking the idea of the wireless camera. I'd like to find a two camera system (front and rear). I was thinking that your one could be fixed to the back of the rear-view mirror as a forward view. What battery is used in the camera? I think that may be the biggest issue...battery life. Would be interested to know how long they last.

There is no battery...It takes its power from the cigarette lighter socket!...One thing I have found is that it tends to pick up random cc.tv. images but not so much as to be really annoying! I may try shielding the transmitter. Should be quite easy!

Beastlee
23-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I can understand the screen taking power from the lighter but what about the camera? Is it wired to power at the back?

Delzx7r
24-08-2008, 07:15 AM
I can understand the screen taking power from the lighter but what about the camera? Is it wired to power at the back?

The transmitter is wired into the reversing light circuit and takes its power from that ( which is why it only works in reverse ) The actual camera has a cable with a sort of din plug on the end and this plugs into the transmitter!...It's all very neat and tidy especially as all the cables fit behind the tailgate panel!...It works really well. Tried it in a very crowded car park at Betws-y-Coed yesterday and it really makes it all a doddle!...Best £100 I've spent in a long time! :)

Beastlee
24-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I reckon the screen is just an extra and the DIN plug will just provide a composite video picture!

Delzx7r
25-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I reckon the screen is just an extra and the DIN plug will just provide a composite video picture!

The transmitter on the tailgate panel obviously transmits composite video but whatever screen you use needs to be able to receive the transmission! I assume that there are screens on the market that do this ( although I haven't actually seen one ) but I suppose you would need to weigh up the cost factor! If you just bought the camera and transmitter and then obtained your own screen would it work out cheaper than buying the complete OTC unit?...I would think probably not! :)

Beastlee
29-08-2008, 04:16 PM
What I meant is I could buy that package and adapt the connector to provide a picture on a normal screen. I think the screen is an extra that isn't essential if you already have a TV in connection on anything in the car.

Delzx7r
29-08-2008, 09:46 PM
What I meant is I could buy that package and adapt the connector to provide a picture on a normal screen. I think the screen is an extra that isn't essential if you already have a TV in connection on anything in the car.
There is no connection between the screen and the camera other than by wirless link and there are no input sockets on the screen at all so there is no adapter to connect...So whatever screen yo might have in your car would need to be able to receive a wireless transmission at the correct frequency in order to display a picture!

Beastlee
30-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry I misread
The actual camera has a cable with a sort of din plug on the end and this plugs into the transmitter!

I had the DIN plug at the screen end for some reason. I'm now wondering what the inside of the screen housing looks like...perhaps the receiver and screen have separate PCBs. For £100 it's worth buying one and seeing what's in it.

peter thomson
30-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Costco have a similar system for £50 + vat at the moment. It's wireless but I haven't looked to see if it can be hard wired in