PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Engine Check light and TCL off comes on.

Kyoshu
15-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Just happened once on the Saturday night that just past. Nothing seemed abnormal about the drive, but had little bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust. I thought it was because my oil level was low, but that was ok too.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Oscar

KiwiTT
15-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Hmmm ... If this happens again, take it straight to a Mitsubishi Dealer, they can put a MUT on it. DO NOT SWITCH OFF the engine. Leave it running.

The TCL turns off as a precaution whenever you have "ENGINE" warning light.

NOTE: If you switch off the engine and remove the key, you reset the ECU.

Kyoshu
15-03-2004, 01:35 AM
OK. Thanks heaps. What does TCL do/stand for? Traction Control something?
Still new to the VR-4 scene, so thanks for the help bro.

KiwiTT
15-03-2004, 01:51 AM
TCL = Traction Control

Kyoshu
16-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Happened again last night, around the same time (7.30-8PM). Not sure if it's something to do with it being colder at night or what, but didn't happen at all during the day.

Going to take the car back to the dealer this weekend and let them have it fixed, as I've only had it 2 weeks.

Don't notice any difference in the driving though.

KiwiTT
16-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Take it to A Mitsubishi Dealer and report the fault to the Dealer.

Pescha
16-03-2004, 07:17 AM
On the firewall right hand side, there are the vac advance modules. Just push then back into place, and there presto it is fixed! Had exact the same problem and thats fixed it. Had another member here, I think his name was Darren, also had the same problem, he did what I did and hey presto he fixed his engine light and traction control light problem toooooo...............

Hope this helps.......

Pescha!

Darren
16-03-2004, 08:17 AM
It's true, it did. :p

Kyoshu
16-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Cool, thanks guys.

KiwiTT
16-03-2004, 09:33 PM
On the firewall right hand side, there are the vac advance modules. Just push then back into place, and there presto it is fixed! Had exact the same problem and thats fixed it. Had another member here, I think his name was Darren, also had the same problem, he did what I did and hey presto he fixed his engine light and traction control light problem toooooo...............

Hope this helps.......

Pescha!

NOTE: I tried that, but it ended up being a fuel solenoid problem.

Kyoshu
17-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Thanks Dude. Will give the VAC Advance modules a try and if that doesn't fix it. I'll bring it into a Mitsi dealer. BTW does it cost anything to get an MUT put on it?

JUst that I've only had the car for a bit over 2 weeks, if it's going to cost anything, I want the dealer I bought the car off to foot the bill.

KiwiTT
17-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Don't know. It is probably in their interest to do it as it may give them potential business. I am regular, so they did it for me, and I was only charged for the repair work.

n0h0p3r
21-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Hi, same as above im new to the VR4 scence, and i bough a sedan 1998 VR4 Galant a few week backs. It all seemed fine so i got out on to the open road for a try.

After 3 hours of driving i seemed to notice the AYC kicking in more oftern than not. This got me thinging. I got to town and slowed and all of a sudden on kicked the engine lite and the TCL kicked out.

I dont have access to any of the engine pay pics so can someone explain whats happened here?

Cheers

BKBRKR
13-11-2006, 02:53 AM
have your rear senser's checked, well, all of them actually. ones probably faulty or just needs replacing. a faulty senser will result in incorrect distrubution of power to that assigned wheel, this meaning you have no control of your traction, replace that if needed, and your away flying!

EDD
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Ive got the same problem. I took the engine cover off and startded the engine. The engine sounds like it was miss firing too and I could hear a clicking sound ontop of the forward left cylinder. On closer inspection I found intermittant sparking from the coil pack mount to the coil pack (where the ht lead connects). Does anyone think that this would create an Engine warning light and traction control light or do i need to look deeper? Can you change one coil pack or do you need to change them all?

Kieran
05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes, you can change/swap just the one. And yes, I think the ECU will throw a code for a failed ignition coil.