PDA

View Full Version : Ere John want a new motor!

Polabear
15-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Came across this while trawling the sites for new cars yesterday, does this sound like a good buy ? seeing as I only know 2 things about VR4's S*D All and nowt. Would appreciate anyones input or advice, thanks guy's.

Pola.

http://www.vr4.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Nick Mann
15-03-2004, 10:27 AM
I would not spend that much on one that age. Having said that it is low mileage and appears to be well cared for. Have a look at the buyers guide on this site and it will give you an idea of what to look for.

Darren
15-03-2004, 12:16 PM
I paid 8995 for mine, I don't feel ripped off. The car was in good condition, well looked after, and worth every penny. There have been some VERY cheap VR-4s around this and last year and most seem to be related to the mad house prices we are seeing and the need for bigger deposits. At the end of the day you can't get a 97 scoob, evo, m3, m5, or even c230 kompressor with normal milage at that price. You pay for what you get, but I for one wouldn't sell my car cheap and would advise the others to do the same. The place I bought mine from has 3, all 97's and all at 8995 and I think it's still a fair price for what is the most underated car on the road.

Polabear
15-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the input guy's I will take it on advisement and have a look at the buyers guide :bow:
Pola.

Nick Mann
15-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Sorry, Darren. Not trying to de-value the VR4. Just seen plenty of 98 examples for 8-9k, so would have to be convinced that a car that is a year older is worth the extra. I haven't seen it, but from the description it could well be a very good example.

As you say - as long as you are happy that the purchase was worth it then it is a good buy. There aren't many VR4's that are a bad buy!!

The prices people ask are all over the place - see BDA's 'what's it worth' thread as an example!

Darren
15-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Fair play mate, but don't you think people are panic selling these cars? When you look at older performance cars you pay the premium even on sierra cossies. My point it really that the car is worth more and it's a shame that people will let them go so cheaply.

Ford Sierra Cosworth 1990 £5,750

1989 Ford Sierra cosworth, 1989, 72000 £5,195

2000 W Reg Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 VR-4 Ralliart £7,950 for a 2000!! mental

See, my point ?

Kieran
15-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Intresting thread...

Why are VR-4s so undervalued? Well, lets take a look at the Sierra Cosworth as a comparrison...

1. It's (Im)famous, unlike the VR-4.
2. Parts are considerably more abundant and cheaper than a VR-4.
3. There's not many nice ones left, which has had a positive effect on market value.
4. The earlier ones, like the 3-doors and the RS500s, are approaching 'Classic' status - again, good for value.
5. The public at large want a Cossie more than a VR-4.

I think the reasons above mean that depressed resale values are a part of the Galant ownership experience. It's just not got the same.... well, 'Kudos' as a Cossie, or a Skyline, etc.

But that's one of the reasons I like them :-b

Spirit
15-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Polabear

Sorry to spoil the fun but I believe that car is now sold !

Not going to say who too as the person is keeping under their hat for now - but they may come forward once they see this.

Pete

Physician
15-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Polabear

.......... - but they may come forward once they see this.

Pete

Me hides in the shadows!

Nick Mann
15-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Physician, hope I didn't hurt your feelings either! I agree with Kieran. The car is complete stealth, but with high running costs. This means that you can buy very good cars for comparatively little money. Those of us in the know win!