PDA

View Full Version : Hard Steering

Wembe
27-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Need some help here.
I parked my VR4 for like 2 weeks and when i drove it today, the steering feels heavy, kinda like there is no power in it. I have checked the level of power steering fluid and its at Max.
I however noticed that there is some oil leaking at the rear end of the diff. Now where the leak is, i could not quite figure but when i cleaned the dirt off, there is a "gear oil" lable on one side and "AYC" sign on the other. I even saw a place where i think i should put in AYC fluid or something like that as it was marked "AYC only".
Ok, so i was wondering what could be wrong, and also is gear oil the same as ATF oil ( I havent checked the level of that). Also what ATF oil should I use?
Thanx guys

Ryan
27-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Wow - from Kenya!

Welcome aboard, while I can't really answer your question on what might be causing the problem, the gear oil is NOT the same as AYC fluid.

Gear oil is much heavier, about a 75W90 for example - AYC fluid is SPIII compatible automatic transmission fluid. Out of interest, what sort of fuel is available there?

Wembe
27-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Dude, this is 3rd world, Its just Premium petrol. Have no idea what the composition is.

Ryan
27-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Dude, this is 3rd world, Its just Premium petrol. Have no idea what the composition is.

Ja but what's the octane rating? I'm guessing 95 - same as RSA (where I'm from originally).

Wembe
27-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I have asked at some petol stations, they dont even know... I'd have to take a sample to a lab i guess. But I will try and find out. I am also a bit ignorant i guess...

Turbo_Steve
27-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Having heard from colleagues about Kenyan fuel, I can strongly reccomend you invest in a knock monitor, e.g. Knocklink. It's likely to save you an engine.

Regarding the steering, is it possible you have an airlock in the steering rack? Is it noisier than previously? Have you checked your tyre pressures?

Is the power steering working at all? If it's REALLY heavy, then I'd suggest your power steering belt may have snapped.

bradc
27-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd agree, get a knock monitor or even better, get evoscan and use it to monitor knock levels.

As for the power steering, if you've got oil in the canister then perhaps check if it makes that whining noise when you hit full lock, or is it making a noise when you just use it normally?

The diff leak is of course another issue. It is most likely leaking from the driveshaft end where there is a seal that is supposed to prevent diff oil leaking out. Probably best if you take some pictures of it. The diff does indeed take two oils, the centre bit takes normal diff oil, and the AYC part requires special AYC or ATF oil. If you would like to buy the correct oils, send a pm to 'amsoil'

Physician
27-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Jambo ....... that's all lol :)

psbarham
27-08-2008, 11:26 PM
check the power steering pump is acctually turning, its possible that the belt is a bit loose.
its also possible that a bottom ball joint has seized

Subaru ETA
29-08-2008, 11:10 AM
or you just have flat tyres??