PDA

View Full Version : How do I...

Ryan
27-08-2008, 08:48 PM
safely bath a cat without being torn to pieces?

I've never owned a cat before and my wife's cat appears to be infested with fleas. I plan to fumigate the house on the weekend but short of locking the cat in the house same time (and probably killing it), what is the proper way to bath a cat?

I have bathed animals before most notably my 70kg boerboel Levi who was a strong aversion to water since falling into the swimming pool as a puppy. He is very difficult to control but is nowhere near as lithe as a cat is and does not have retractable claws.

stuartturbo
27-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Best thing for fleas is a spot on stuff that retards growth.
Dont bother bathing the cat just not worth it
remember to keep on top of it as the fleas will continue to hatch but will not lay new eggs
To speed up hatching by Turn your heating up. the more humid the faster flea eggs will hatch
Boil hot wash everything where the cat sleeps
Vacuum the house thoroughly espesially the edges. this also speeds up hatching

bradc
27-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Some cats like water, ours do!

Ryan
27-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I knew you'd say something like that Brad!

Turbo_Steve
27-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Bathing the cat won't help much with the fleas, which will be in the carpets and soft furnishings.

Flea collar inside the vacuum cleaner is a good idea to keep them from breeding in there.
A budget, organic version of fumigating is to spray everything with tea-tree oil, which kills fleas. You can also spray the cat with this, which is surprisingly effective, and doesn't hurt the cat.

Ours get Regular Spot-On treatment (which zones them out a little), flea collars, and the carpets are steam cleaned regularly, which kills any living fleas, removes the majority of eggs, and encourages any remaining ones to hatch.

To bath a cat (should you still feel the need: this mainly needs doing when they've fallen in something, are ill and cannot properly clean themselves, or if they have an injury which needs to be kept clean) it's best to run water to a few centimetres below the cats chin, then hold it by the scruff of the neck and lower it into the water, allowing it to rest it's back paws on the bath, but keeping it's front paws a couple of centimetres off the bath. This will prevent it successfully struggling. As long as your holding it's neck (as mummy would) the cat will be discouraged from stuggling, though if it is truly afraid of water (and doesn't trust you) it may still fight back, however it's capabilities will be limited.

Ryan
27-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys... Ja the place we're renting has this really eau 70's shap pile carpet and goodness knows what's in there!

Steam clean is a sound suggestion.

Kenneth
27-08-2008, 10:07 PM
get the flea control stuff from the Vet. You will get a couple of months supply after which your flea problem should be much better if not gone.

It is supposed to also kill the fleas where the cat sleeps, which might not be your house.

TAR
27-08-2008, 11:18 PM
get a pair of these!!

/pan

Kieran
27-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Heh, on similar lines to Tim, Alex's parents had a couple of Siamese. Based on their reaction to cleaning and things like worming pills, I would suggest using one of these:

http://www.karcher.co.uk/product.php?pr=382

chris g
27-08-2008, 11:30 PM
If you have to bathe or treat the cat, having had 5 that needed care,

I would do it in the bathroom - ** get car there by deception/TLC but I think they can sense you are going to do some thing that they do not like so it may be a struggle

Take some treats there or some toy/game for them to play

Have older long sleeved jkt not wool or other fibre that might catch claws

Also wear heavy gloves or the thick rubberised gloves that you can buy for dirty jobs

As already said, hold by neck and prob lower down back near tail

Have second person, also protected to do treatment and let cat go on the floor as you step back

Have a drink as you catch your breath and then perhaps have a bath/shower yourself

Brace yourself for the next time...

** EDIT: that should have read get the cat to the bathroom NOT the car!!!

Ryan
27-08-2008, 11:33 PM
LMAO :D I'll let you guys know how i get on.

Alex
28-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Fill the bath with water and lots of soap, then chuck the cat in and stand well back.

You cat may not speak to you for a week, but as long as it gets a proper soaking it will do a good job cleaning itself as it tries to wash away the smell of the soap.

Before anyone sees fit to call the RSPCA, I am of course joking. But seriously, if you can just get the cat soaked in whatever product, it will do the rest itself.

chris vr4
28-08-2008, 08:14 PM
if its ur wifes cat then i wud solve the problem by giving it to her to do.

Nevman
28-08-2008, 08:58 PM
5 minute session in microwave oven would stop it movin' /Devil5

Turbo_Steve
28-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Fill the bath with water and lots of soap, then chuck the cat in and stand well back.

You cat may not speak to you for a week, but as long as it gets a proper soaking it will do a good job cleaning itself as it tries to wash away the smell of the soap.

Before anyone sees fit to call the RSPCA, I am of course joking. But seriously, if you can just get the cat soaked in whatever product, it will do the rest itself.
Christ! If we tried that with ours I'd be looking at:
New Bath
New Shower
New Flooring
Replastering
Repainting
Possible damage to tiling
New Clothes
Probable New skin

If you throw any of ours at water they simply bounce off without touching it and adhere to the nearest surface, which is most likely to be the plaster of the wall or the softy bit of my face. Which will result in all the other damage.

chris vr4
28-08-2008, 09:15 PM
5 minute session in microwave oven would stop it movin' /Devil5

and if u leave its collar on then u wouldnt even need 5 mins therefore saving electricity lol /popcorn

Nevman
28-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Good point Chris :D :D :D