PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use Tiptronic?

Ultra VR-4
22-05-2003, 09:50 PM
I just wanted to know how often you guys use your tiptronic?
anybody out there use it full time?

Brind
22-05-2003, 10:21 PM
<-- Too lazy!

I find the auto works very well, and since the HKS mods help it breath better, it shifts down into 4th when you put your foot down and revs upto the red line! :cool: and then shifts up again quickly so I doubt I could change gear better or better still, know when to change down without losing speed or knowing where the power is..

I have used it a couple of times.

Roadrunner
22-05-2003, 10:28 PM
I use auto in town, tiptronic in the country. Best of both worlds :)

jaysback
22-05-2003, 10:34 PM
picture this.
prat infront doing 35 in a 40
come to bit of dually switch over and waste him
:D

BMW m3 sat an your arse.

need i say any more.

lol

BraindG
22-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Autos are for girls...
:arse:

:wiggle:

Brind
22-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Cheeky git.:D

Ultra VR-4
22-05-2003, 10:40 PM
I only asked because i hate under revving my car. AT always drives in 5th when im goin about 60kph, is this ok you guys recon?:Ponder:

landy
22-05-2003, 10:40 PM
i use auto in town and tiptronic in the country also.

the only trouble is sometimes i think i'm in tiptronic and push the lever to change up, but i'm still in auto. D'OH:uhoh:

Brind - does the HKS filter help with the gear change ?
i've been thinking about getting one, but if it will help changing gear quicker i will definately get one asap.

does anyone else know of any other mods to increase gear change speed ?

Brind
22-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Well the auto has no trouble shifting down and revving upto 7,000rpm and then go again in 5th.

I don't know what the car was like before, but it pulls extremely hard all the way to 7,000 or very close to it before it changes.

Ultra VR-4
22-05-2003, 10:45 PM
apparently a fuel pressure regulator will help gear change...??

Brind
22-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Remember the tiptronic part learns your driving style, so if you drive hard using that, you'll find the auto will copy.

landy
22-05-2003, 10:55 PM
i don't know if this is the case with anyone elses car, but when i flick the gears either up or down in tiptronic it can take a second or two before it actually engages. i't worse when the engine is cold.

could this be solved using different oil, or is there a different reason for this ?

Brind
22-05-2003, 11:01 PM
I dunno, mine does it aswell.
It has to change gear so it won't be instant either way you look at it.
Wouldn't say it is slow when you floor it though! as fast as I could change in a manual without crunching the gears.

Petrolhead
22-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Ultra VR-4
I only asked because i hate under revving my car. AT always drives in 5th when im goin about 60kph, is this ok you guys recon?:Ponder:

Yeah, I was amazed at how slowly the car will go in 5th gear , also considering 5th gear will take you up to at least 155 mph, that's a hell of a range :eek:

As far as I can tell it's prefectly normal, it's just trying to be as efficient as possible ;)

Petrolhead
22-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by landy
i don't know if this is the case with anyone elses car, but when i flick the gears either up or down in tiptronic it can take a second or two before it actually engages. i't worse when the engine is cold.

could this be solved using different oil, or is there a different reason for this ?

LOL< remember, it's not like a sequencial gearbox you would find in a rally car :D

If you imagine how long it would take in a Manual car, you need to press the clutch down, put it in appropriate gear and lift the clutch again, so it's probably about the same amount of time really.

You learn to anticipate when you will need the next gear, for example, if you are racing and flooring it, you really want to be changing the gear at about 6500 rpm, so by the time it red-lines it changes.

Also yes, it does take a wee bit longer when the engine/gearbox is cold.

Dave.

Brind
22-05-2003, 11:10 PM
If you drive slowly, mine goes into 5th at just over 35mph.
But that might be due to what it has learnt from the tiptronic.

Ultra VR-4
22-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Yeah but i really wanted to know if i drive with tiptronic all the way will it wear my gear box faster?

Brind
22-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Erm.. no?

haydar
22-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Also does everyone find that when driving in auto mode, the system does not got down to 2nd gear, regardless of how much you slow down. If you stop it goes straight to first. I was told by Ralliart that this was normal behaviour, but didn't understand why?

Also, every since I switched the action of the lever in tiptronic mode INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie push forward to go down a gear and pull back to go up a gear) I find I'm now using it all the time.

Brind
22-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Remember also the car is very powerful, the engine has no need to drop to second if you have enough pace in third.
If you put your foot down hard in third it may drop to second.

pjjohnson
23-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Mine will drop down to second if needed, and the down changes are as swift as I could hope for from any gear. I didn't notice any difference when the HKS air filter or exhaust mods where made.

Its the upchanges that seen to take an age, it doesn't make any difference whether its in auto or tip. For 90% of the time the auto is great, but when you want to press on then the manual has got to be best, its such a pain they don't make them any more - or do they ?? The tiptronic is good when you want to hold a gear, and you can't fluff a gearchange, but apart from that Id bin it.

Also the torque converter saps power, about 10% seems to be the norm, so manual cars are going to be quicker.

The other thing I notice is that sometimes the gearbox locks - you can tell this happens when the revs rise at the same rate as the speedo - other times it doesn't lock, the revs rise quickly and then stay there while the speedo catches up.

If there was any way of converting to manual, or getting quicker up changes then I'd do it - depending on ££££'s of course. The other alternative to is chop this one in and get a manual, which is what I will do when this one goes pop.

Nick VR4
23-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I use mine from time to time
Mainly if I feel dropping to a lower gear would be better

Or to blast past something

Ultra VR-4
25-05-2003, 10:06 PM
I just hate it when im driving in AT going 60km/hr and it shifts into 5th.... is this ok for the engine???

Brind
25-05-2003, 11:39 PM
The gearbox knows best.
If you put your foot down hard when in fith the gear will drop.

BraindG
27-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Brind
The gearbox knows best.
If you put your foot down hard when in fith the gear will drop.

Shame, I dont have these worries
:arse:

-LegnumVR4-
27-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by haydar
Also does everyone find that when driving in auto mode, the system does not got down to 2nd gear, regardless of how much you slow down. If you stop it goes straight to first. I was told by Ralliart that this was normal behaviour, but didn't understand why?

Also, every since I switched the action of the lever in tiptronic mode INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie push forward to go down a gear and pull back to go up a gear) I find I'm now using it all the time.

The reason why the trans doesn't drop down to second from 3rd is so u don't get jerked foward INSERT INTO post VALUES (drive in tip mode and slow the car down like u would for a normal stop then change into 2nd to see how smooth the shift is); Like a manual, how many times did u change down to 2nd, I would just cruz to a stop in 3rd then change into 1st really to go.

mike
27-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by haydar

Am I reading this right? You've reversed the action of the lever. So you now push foward to down, and pull back to go up. Much better! The only annoying thing about the car, sorted.

How did you do it? Instructions please - did you manage to move the '+' and '-' too?

haydar
27-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by mike
Am I reading this right? You've reversed the action of the lever. So you now push foward to down, and pull back to go up. Much better! The only annoying thing about the car, sorted.

How did you do it? Instructions please - did you manage to move the '+' and '-' too?

No problem. Go to the following forum:
Club VR-4 -> VR-4 Techncial -> Customizing your VR4

and read the thread titled
'gear shift knob'.

Don't forget to thank the appropriate members and good luck. Did my conversion in an hour and you are right, it is the most annoying thing. Never used to use tip mode before the modification. Now use it all the time....even when I really don't need to.
:D :D :D

BraindG
27-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Or go here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/info/articles/showarticle.php?id=42) :D

chris g
08-06-2003, 07:22 PM
I have titronic/auto box

use auto most of the time

New exhaust system from Tube Torque alows turbo to spin up faster and release more power

In auto the box now changes up sooner because sufficient power is there and also holds onto gears longer before changing down again because suffient power available to at lower revs

Re learning box, I think it only learns in auto - drive a particular way - leisurely not revving engine and gearbox learns this - drive more eagerly revving engine and gearbox again learns this

Whatever you do in tiptronic AFAIAA has any affect whatsoever

I found this at Ring - drove car in auto for a few laps pushing on and after leaving circuit gearbox carried on doing this until it had learnt my style away from the circuit

After this I used tiptronic on circuit and afterwards the auto box worked as it usually did having learnt nothing from my tiptronic use around the Ring

Brind
08-06-2003, 07:56 PM
I think you could be right Chris.
My ECU was reset a few weeks ago now and after that it was extremely responsive! INSERT INTO post VALUES (this was I'm sure also to do with the ECU going into safe mode).

I have only used the auto part as I'm too lazy to shift if I don't need to.
But I'm sure it doesn't have that instant urge down the bottom like it did after the ECU was reset, if I put my foot down hard it'll jump into life like a lunatic so it hasn't gone into safe mode again.

But I'm sure it has learnt my driving style in auto.
My driving style is nothing short of granny driving when I have CERTAIN moaning passengers on board.

*Off Topic - and a little rant*
Since when is stamping on the accelerator pedal and reaching a speed limt with your head in the back seats with your eyes streaming because of the G-Force, considered "SPEEDING"?
Never! exactly! so why do they moan when I do this?
Also going around a bend at a constant speed even though the car is more than capable, considered speeding or being dangerous? Never! INSERT INTO post VALUES (given road conditions of course)

haydar
08-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Want you guys need are F1 type gear paddles on your steering wheel. :D :D .

I've got a prototype working which you can view in Customising your VR4 forum. Now that I know it works and is actually great fun, I'm working on a proper INSERT INTO post VALUES (professional) version with input from LegnumVR4.

Spirit
08-06-2003, 10:10 PM
I must admit I am using tiptronic a lot more recently - couple of times I have forgotten I was and cursed the gears not changing when it was my fault :D !

Damn good fun in either mode !

-LegnumVR4-
08-06-2003, 10:36 PM
I use mine a lot. Works very well but u have to judge when to shift down, the box sometimes wont. I would perfer if the box would shift right when the gear is selected and change down or up when i want it to, regardless what rpm and if it was going to bang off the rev limiter. U can do that in a manual so why not in an auto like this?

pjjohnson
09-06-2003, 10:57 AM
I agree, mine learns in auto not tip mode.

chris g
09-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Even in tiptronic - you in control - the box it seems will not let you change up too early - as into 5th at too low a gear - and it seems it will not let you f*** it with too many revs!

calum
10-06-2003, 09:24 PM
But it does seem to have a 'memory'. If you're coming up to a corner, pull the lever back a couple of times in quick succession and get your hands back on the wheel - the car changes down through third and then into second. Feels kind of weird!.

Mine will go into second itself - try driving slowly down a hill and it will do it. It takes gradients into account and utilises engine braking.

The auto trans is very efficient. When RR'd mine was only giving 58.5bhp total transmission losses. Compare that to my celica gt-four at 105bhp losses INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is faintly ridiculous)!

Calum

chris g
10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Not a memory but it as it states in handbook, pulling back twice in quick succession tells it to drop two gears - but only two gears

I believe most autos will drop a gear or two or three as you go downhill and lift off throttle and even if you do not brake

If you keep on throttle car/box assumes there is no need to slow down

so...

when going downhill lift off throttle allow car/box to change down and 4wd to get you round corners only braking if needed and on throttle as momentum is being lost

what a clever car/gearbox1

Ryan
20-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Wow this is one old thread!

Anyway - the only time I ever *EVER* use auto mode is when I am trying to send an email / sms or take a phone call.

Oh, that and 0 - 100km/h launches

Johny
20-08-2008, 06:44 AM
i only use tip to stop it changing into 4th everytime i put my foot down on long stretches lol

the only problem is i forget im in tip and when i stop at an intersection and take off i usually take off and get up to 5000 rpm before i realise its not on auto lol

MikeKey
20-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Bradc's article is worth a read on Tip box care/use too: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20014

ҢдщҚ
20-08-2008, 01:24 PM
lol i read the article above the other day when i joined up. Just read this old post today and lmao i cant believe the difference in driving styles compared to the suggested methods detailed in the article. WoW so many people prepared to downshift in a tip-tronic, like a manual ?? This post and the article completely confused me. Ok, i have no vr4 yet to experiment with so please can somebody post back here to confirm that half of this post is BS and the best methods of use for a tip-tronic box are correct in the tip box care article above.

The big question i have is :- Are most of the tip-tronic gearbox problems reported in many posts here, in general related to driver abuse and incorrect use ? I'm kinda thinking i could be onto something here ?

Cheers
Steve.. .. .

MikeKey
20-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Downshifting isn't a problem as long as you're a bit sensible about how you do it. If you downshift while your foot is still partly on the gas it should be be fine, the revs are still up and the box knows you're giving it gas and shifts accordingly. Even just blipping the throttle when downshifting can "help" the box so you get a nice gentle shift.

Downshifting with your foot off the gas won't do the box any good though. The full force of the deceleration you feel is transmitted through the box and torque convertor, which won't do either any good.
Mike

ҢдщҚ
20-08-2008, 02:41 PM
That makes perfect sence, complementary to the article written by bradc's. Thanks for the clarification/summary. I myself look forward to trying it out real soon.. .. .

bradc
20-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Lots of people on the track (including myself) have found that downshifting aggressively, bringing the engine revs up to over 5000rpm have caused the gearbox to overheat and have the dreaded flashing N light appear on the dash.