PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate restriction ?

Mark 4
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Can't find the thread at the moment but I read one discussing a restriction in the wastegate piping. I believe that it was in the steel pipe that bridges the wastegates. As I am in the process of preparing Wodjes engine to fit in my car it would be very easy to bypass it. Does anyone have any info on the pros and cons of doing this ?

peter thomson
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I have bypassed the steel pipes when I fitted my ebc without any problems so far .Must be over a year now since I did this and it did say in the fitting info to remove any restrictors

Turbo_Steve
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
As pete says, with external boost control it shouldn't cause any problems.

Restrictors effectively act as a delay to the pressure "signal" to the actuators, smoothing out some of the peakiness of a bleed solenoid and also helping the car to make boost quicker by preventing low duty cycle bleed from having any effect.

Paul C
02-09-2008, 08:01 AM
As pete says, with external boost control it shouldn't cause any problems.

Restrictors effectively act as a delay to the pressure "signal" to the actuators, smoothing out some of the peakiness of a bleed solenoid and also helping the car to make boost quicker by preventing low duty cycle bleed from having any effect.

Is it best to leave the restriction or remove?

Turbo_Steve
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
If you're using the factory boost control, you need it there: It serves a purpose and Mitsubishi designed it that way for a reason. Removing is likely to cause boost spikes, possibly fuel cut etc. In fact, probably not unlike Big Ian is getting at the moment.

If you're going for an aftermarket solution of any kind, then it's up to you: It'll smooth out your boost control, though if you're going for a "bleeding edge" response time on your EBC (e.g. MAX spool right to the target pressure) then leave it out. However, if you can live with a slightly slower target response time (and most controllers can) then the restrictor SHOULD make it easier to set up.