PDA

View Full Version : 2nd mod - side repeaters.

PaddyB
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes I know it's only the piggin' side repeaters but I'm so chuffed with the end result I had to show then to someone. I bought them from Mitsubishi in Barnstaple along with the 'special tool' that appears all over the manuals for popping things off (made it much easier).

So here it is debadged & new side repeaters. Next is to make the front indicators clear & not orange.

Nick Mann
03-09-2008, 09:08 PM
:thumbsup:

Now for the scary choice of cooking your headlights or slicing them open!

Kieran
03-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Hehehehehe! Welcome to the slippery slope of modification! :afro:

Looks good. I don't suppose you have a picture of the special tool do you?

TAR
03-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Looks good!

It was also the first mod I did to my car. Being a dark colour, I have smoked ones, but loosing the bright orange look is cool. :happy:

MikeKey
03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, looks nice! I did mine this weekend too, smoked ones though. I put some LED bulbs in the interior while I was in a bulb changing mood as I liked the ones I had in the V6. You wouldn't believe how bright the 6-LED ones are - highly recommended.

Like you I'm just psyching myself up to do the front indicators now! =S

PaddyB
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Looks good. I don't suppose you have a picture of the special tool do you?

You pulling my leg ?? Just for you Kieran here it is.

ANTHONY
03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
kieran is now off dow the parts dept to get somthing he aint got/pan looking good paddy

HMG1K
03-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Would slotting in the UK spec seperate headlights and clear indicators from non-VR4s work on a VR4? I'm thinking even the clear glass ones on the facelift UK models? :inquisiti

HMG1K
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
You pulling my leg ?? Just for you Kieran here it is.

That image is funny! How much? I used a flat screwdriver with a cloth around it.

n13l pm
03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Looking good there mate. Did you change the bulb to sliver repeaters?

Would slotting in the UK spec seperate headlights and clear indicators from non-VR4s work on a VR4? I'm thinking even the clear glass ones on the facelift UK models? :inquisiti

The headlights are different on a non vr4 to a vr4, different fitment, the non vr4 facelift have two pieces per side and the vr4s are one unit. So it wouldnt be a slotting in job, but maybe it can be done!

Kieran
03-09-2008, 10:42 PM

Yes. That's what I've done. Plus UK-Spec headlamps have better optics so you can see better at night.

ANTHONY
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes. That's what I've done. Plus UK-Spec headlamps have better optics so you can see better at night.but what about the leveling thing that uk cars have and vr4 don't will this affect them. sorry going off topic now

Kieran
03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
but what about the leveling thing that uk cars have and vr4 don't will this affect them. sorry going off topic now

The leveling is done by a pair of electric motors, so yes, you can't adjust them unless you retro fit the adjustment circuit and switch (which isn't that big a job). So if you buy a pair of lamps with the adjusters in the lowest position, you may find the beam a bit 'short' in night driving.

PaddyB
03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
That image is funny! How much? I used a flat screwdriver with a cloth around it.

Tenner. Well worth it for a clumsy oaf like me. It's also used to pop out the clock which is on my job list after plugs/filter/earths/underseal/what-have-you.

Looking good there mate. Did you change the bulb to sliver repeaters?

No, the bulbs in there are the ones which came with them.

So... how much would a set of UK spec headlights cost me & where do I get them from ???

ANTHONY
03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
The leveling is done by a pair of electric motors, so yes, you can't adjust them unless you retro fit the adjustment circuit and switch (which isn't that big a job). So if you buy a pair of lamps with the adjusters in the lowest position, you may find the beam a bit 'short' in night driving.thats what i was thinking so what ever postion they were in when they were removed thats how they will stay, i supposs an option would be to put them in sombodys uk car and ajust them

HMG1K
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
So... how much would a set of UK spec headlights cost me & where do I get them from ???

Nice work though - must admit I was very steady when I did mine without the tool!

have a look on eBay for the clear UK lamps - would have a hunt now, but just logging off at work to dash home, though I'm sure I saw some earlier on there when I was mooching. Just make sure they are UK spec, they will be seperate headlights and seperate clear indicators. If you can 'see through' the lens like clear glass, then they are facelift headlights.

psbarham
04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
The leveling is done by a pair of electric motors, so yes, you can't adjust them unless you retro fit the adjustment circuit and switch (which isn't that big a job). So if you buy a pair of lamps with the adjusters in the lowest position, you may find the beam a bit 'short' in night driving.

it takes about 1 hr to swap the lights and wire up the height adjustment, and the improvement is well worth it:pimp2:

PaddyB
04-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Just had a quick squint on ebay & the only set I can find are £300 + postage & that don't include the indicators (plus they're LHD).

20 mins on gas mark 4 it is then ....

pezza
04-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Yep the UK headlights are def the way to go.. looks better with the glass IMO too.

Paddy I used the heat gun method but maybe the oven method is better as the sealant is hot all the way round atthe same time. Its a bit more of a struggle with the heat gun method I think.

I did switch to the UK headlamps and so I may have my original de oranged headlamps somewhere possibly. I can have a look later when I dig out some other bits..

Davezj
04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
i do like the wheels, the way the standard ones are tarted up really sets them apart from the average.

i feel a tool drool coming on, "i must have a white bit of pointy plastic, must have, must have, all work and no play makes johnny a very bad boy!!!"

pitslayer
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Dave, those wheels are COTY wheels.

as for getting the side repeaters out, full lock on the steeringwheel, undo arch liner at the back of the wing, reach hand in, push out

PaddyB
28-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Cooked 'em.

150degC with the oven open as the lamps are too big for me oven. The first one was in for 10ish minutes & was a bit tricky for the bit that was stuck out of the oven, the second was in for ages as I'd got sidetracked into cleaning the front of the car & that pretty much fell apart as soon as I'd moved the retaining clips. I had to one of them twice as I didn't tighten the screw properly/pan. It looks the nads.

I'll put up some pics tomo.

@Mike Key: where did you get your LEDs from ??

PaddyB
02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Tada :happy:

pezza
02-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Great job mate...

Such a small change makes a big difference.

Those polished alloys.... :afro:

PaddyB
02-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Great job mate...

Such a small change makes a big difference.

Those polished alloys.... :afro:

Thanks - I'm well chuffed with the end result. I've definitely too far down the slippery slope now, I'm toying with the idea of 'super-VR4'ing my front lights lke these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-VR4-Mitsubishi-Galant-White-Headlights-EC5W-EA1A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el1177 QQhashZitem360089482340QQitemZ360089482340) but I'm worried it might look too anaemic. I might try & photoshop it first, but first I need photoshop & then I need talent - MS paint will have to do.

I love them wheels too. :afro:

HMG1K
02-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Oooooooooo those light slook good. Though I'd opt for the after market Philips SilverVision indicator bulbs so as not to have that fried egg effect through the lush clear glass!