PDA

View Full Version : 'BC Racing' coilovers

Robotnik123
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Have any of you chaps heard of or got these coilovers?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=174663007

scott.mohekey
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
From the description and photo, they sound and look like rebadged and recoloured D2s.

CANDEE
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
They are on the "budget" end of coil overs... Maybe have a talk to Autolign about the basic Tein's?

Just a thought,
J

scott.mohekey
04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Looking closer at them, I don't think they are rebranded D2s, the top hat on the front shocks is quite a different shape.

Kenneth
04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
You have to realise that like most cheap coilover systems these are very generic.

This means you will need to get the correct spring rate. (very important to get this right)
Most generic brands let you specify the spring rate you want.

You also get 32 levels of adjustment, which basically means you can fully control the damper rate (though you don't get separate rebound adjustment) from fully closed to fully open. Again, you will need to find the rate which best suits your vehicle and spring rate. Too hard and you will feel every bump, too soft and your car will feel bouncy.

#1 priority is to get the spring rate correct.

Oh, and you need to find out what he fully extended length is. Mine (another generic brand, but much the same) at full length still drop the car height considerably.

scott.mohekey
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Kenneth, out of curiosity, is D2 a generic brand? I've had my heart set on them for a while now, but want to be sure before I splash out.

Kenneth
04-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Kenneth, out of curiosity, is D2 a generic brand? I've had my heart set on them for a while now, but want to be sure before I splash out.

Yes they are. They are the same as K-Sport for which there are some good deals on trademe at the moment (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Suspension-braces/auction-174566517.htm)

Nothing wrong with generic brands, so long as you don't set them up stupidly (i.e. max damper rate with soft springs) then they should last well.

You need to ensure you can choose your spring rate before buying though.

Oh, and that k-sport advert says for 2wd Galant... just make sure that the rear is the same as the VR-4 (if it is the same as in the picture, it is wrong)

Robotnik123
05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
They are on the "budget" end of coil overs... Maybe have a talk to Autolign about the basic Tein's?

Just a thought,
J

Yeah, I guess TEINs might be the way to go. But maybe not basic. If I go that route I might get a proper set-up with the in cabin electronic controller and such. That'd be cool.:pimp2:

CANDEE
05-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I guess TEINs might be the way to go. But maybe not basic. If I go that route I might get a proper set-up with the in cabin electronic controller and such. That'd be cool.:pimp2:

Have a talk to the guys in Autolign in Petone then.. They are very friendly chaps.. :)

Though you could get them from www.RHDjapan.com

J

infini_GTR
05-09-2008, 03:32 AM
BC coilovers are totally different in both quality and design to **** cheap coilovers such as D2, K-Sport and MDU (worst!)

If you can get the BC gold series - ive had a set in my silvia and they were spectacular

Kenneth
05-09-2008, 04:36 AM
BC coilovers are totally different in both quality and design to **** cheap coilovers such as D2, K-Sport and MDU (worst!)

If you can get the BC gold series - ive had a set in my silvia and they were spectacular

And what information do you base those statements on?
The BC Coilovers linked to were NOT the gold series and were as cheap as D2 and K-Sport usually are.

You cannot fairly make sweeping statements about a brand based on their lowest range goods because they don't compare to the higher range goods of another vendor.

The external design of the BC coilovers linked to is exactly the same as K-Sport and D2. The internal cartridge might differ somewhat, but I doubt it.

To say something is rubbish quality because it is cheap is also unwise. A lot of high quality goods can be made cheaply if mass produced. Why do you think there are all these suspension brands out that provide 32way damper adjustablity? It isn't because your car requires even 1/4 of that adjustment range, it is so the same cartridge can be used in hundreds of applications.

I think there is a lot of misinformation out there on suspension, especially the generic stuff. People complain about bad ride quality, busted top hats and all sorts of crap. I suspect that in 99% of the cases it is due to a bad setup due to a lack of understanding of the way suspension works.

I have had expensive coilovers and cheap ones. the cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones, but they required careful spring rate selection and a fair bit of tweaking the damper rates to get right.
The expensive ones (Tanabe) were great because they dropped straight in with no fuss and provided an excellent ride 99% of the time.
Down side is I grew out of them and wanted more adjustibility.

Robotnik123
05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info. By specifying spring rate, do you mean I will need get coilovers of a particular spring rate when I buy the set-up, or subsequent to purchase, will I be able to adjust the sprint rate, much as you can adjust damper rate and ride height?

You have to realise that like most cheap coilover systems these are very generic.

This means you will need to get the correct spring rate. (very important to get this right)
Most generic brands let you specify the spring rate you want.

You also get 32 levels of adjustment, which basically means you can fully control the damper rate (though you don't get separate rebound adjustment) from fully closed to fully open. Again, you will need to find the rate which best suits your vehicle and spring rate. Too hard and you will feel every bump, too soft and your car will feel bouncy.

#1 priority is to get the spring rate correct.

Oh, and you need to find out what he fully extended length is. Mine (another generic brand, but much the same) at full length still drop the car height considerably.

Turbo_Steve
05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Spring rate is the "stiffness" of the spring (to use a very bad analogy).
So you buy the springs....and you have to stick with them, or buy some more.

I've seen spring clamps and rubber spring buffers which can tweak this, however I'd not touch them with a barge pole.

Springie
16-09-2008, 02:18 AM
I just rung up about D2's for the legnum and apparently the spring rates are

16.1kg Front
7.2kg Rear

I think the front will be fine (maybe a tad hard for some) but what do you guys reckon about the 7.2 rear? Sounds a bit to soft doesn't it?

scott.mohekey
16-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I understand that if we get D2s with the correct spring rate, they'll be fine, but what IS the correct spring rate?

Springie
16-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah, I understand that if we get D2s with the correct spring rate, they'll be fine, but what IS the correct spring rate?

Thats what I am trying to figure out, from other posts I have formed the opinion that 12kg / 8kg is the minimum i would go and think i would like 14kg/10kg (due to lowness of car).

But, if the D2's come with 16.1 / 7.2, I am not to concerned. The main thing for me is that on the D2 website it says we can get street or tarmac rally kits for VR4's.

The streets are probably OK, but the rally asphalts are inverted and better quality.
When i ask what kits they supply they don't really know.

Also, for note there is no VR4 stock (D2s) in NZ and take 4-6 weeks by sea and up to 2 weeks air.

scott.mohekey
16-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Which website are you referring to?

Springie
16-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Which website are you referring to?

http://www.d2racing.com.tw/shock.htm

under street and rally asphalt

scott.mohekey
16-09-2008, 03:26 AM
Ah, I see. I've only ever looked at their street series.

Springie
16-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Ah, I see. I've only ever looked at their street series.

Yeah, I also found this on the aussie site

http://www.d2racingsports.com.au/suspension.htm

And even though the model numbers are out by one (comparing aus to tw site), I can assume that when places sell D2's for VR4's here they are talking about the street ones. So, this might be the only option.

The next thing is, on the aussie site is says you can customise the spring rate. If thats the case, if anyone disagrees i reckon upping the rear rate would be a good idea?

Also FYI apparently Air shipped to NZ will cost $1760 (from memory, will confirm later).

scott.mohekey
16-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Depending on the timing, I could be interested in a group buy if we could get the spring rates perfect.

Springie
16-09-2008, 04:53 AM
I really want these sooner rather than later but a group buy would be good.
The price i got from redline http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/?action=contact was

$1225 Base cost
$1500 shipped with a 6-8 week delay
$1725 air with up to 2 week delay

If I have time (or someone else does) this arvo to ring them up again and ask for the model number they are suppling and whether we can customize spring rate (as i forgot to this morning) it would help us out. If we can customise the spring rates then we should be all good I reckon.

Also, hyper drive sells them on trademe for $1,395.00, but not sure if that takes into account shipping etc and it appear they don't know what a spring rate is lol.

scott.mohekey
16-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Four weeks at a cost of $325. I guess that's not too bad.

Kenneth
16-09-2008, 06:02 AM
A spring rate of 16 is going to be far too stiff unless you are racing.

I wouldn't want more than 12 for the street personally, though Nutter John is happy enough with 14.

Springie
16-09-2008, 06:58 AM
A spring rate of 16 is going to be far too stiff unless you are racing.

I wouldn't want more than 12 for the street personally, though Nutter John is happy enough with 14.

Ideally i would like 14, but all depends if the spring rate is customizable. Either that or have to fork out for another set of TEINS or somthing. Then TEINS seem to have soft springs though.

[EDIT] Looks like from Hyper that want $1800 with air freight but with sea freight waiting times. Seems strange. I think redline is the place to source them from. It says on the aussie site you can customise spring rates, so you would think it possible here, expecially seeing as they have to be ordered.

Springie
16-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Can anyone convert these spring rates on the BC site to kg?

Front 180.62.014
Rear 180.62.006

I assume the 014 and 006 are 14kg and 6kg respectively. If so 6kg surely would be to soft of a legnum?

bradc
16-09-2008, 07:36 AM
well the Tein's are 8kg front and 5kg rear in their top package. So that combo would appear to be too hard at the front if anything.

Springie
16-09-2008, 08:15 AM
well the Tein's are 8kg front and 5kg rear in their top package. So that combo would appear to be too hard at the front if anything.

14kg fronts sounds ideal but I'm unsure about the 6kg rear on a legnum. The problem being the BCs are for the galant.

Who thinks 6kg rears is too soft?

bradc
16-09-2008, 08:21 AM
6kg is fine, but won't be a good match for the 14kg fronts

Springie
16-09-2008, 08:37 AM
6kg is fine, but won't be a good match for the 14kg fronts

Yeah was thinking that. 8kg rear seems to be the minimum. Might have to suss a supplier willing to customise the rates. Anyone got an hookups?

Kenneth
16-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Mine are 12kg front 8kg rear.

Springie
17-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Mine are 12kg front 8kg rear.
What brand? and where did you get them from?

Kenneth
17-09-2008, 04:06 AM
What brand? and where did you get them from?

Not branded! But I can tell you they come from the same factory as ISC :P

Some bloke on trademe some time ago, haven't seen him selling for a long time though.

Cost me about $1300

Springie
17-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Not branded! But I can tell you they come from the same factory as ISC :P

Some bloke on trademe some time ago, haven't seen him selling for a long time though.

Cost me about $1300

hmmm looks like i am just going to get the D2's and try them out, if they are way too hard ill look at custom springs or put the teins back.

thfelipeth
17-09-2008, 08:34 AM
hey springie. is that you're car in the pic? if so.. where did you get those lights from??? would be greatly appreciated thanks

Springie
17-09-2008, 08:51 AM
hey springie. is that you're car in the pic? if so.. where did you get those lights from??? would be greatly appreciated thanks

What lights are you refering too? All mine are factory?

thfelipeth
18-09-2008, 09:33 AM
o crap! they are too! mmmmmm sorry i thought they were those aftermarket round ones that only show the actual lights and are black on the outside... sorry!

CANDEE
18-09-2008, 09:55 AM
o crap! they are too! mmmmmm sorry i thought they were those aftermarket round ones that only show the actual lights and are black on the outside... sorry!
You dont mean these??

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21694&d=1207287340

thfelipeth
19-09-2008, 06:30 AM
You dont mean these??

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21694&d=1207287340 YUP! that's the one! where and how much did you pay for them?? cheers

bradc
19-09-2008, 08:58 AM
They are called Cibie's and are over $2k new. All of the members here that have them got them with their cars, I don't think anyone has actually gone a bought a set!

d i c k i e s
19-09-2008, 01:04 PM
apparently, they dont make em anymore either?
gonna be hard to find em...

thfelipeth
20-09-2008, 12:50 AM
They are called Cibie's and are over $2k new. All of the members here that have them got them with their cars, I don't think anyone has actually gone a bought a set! 2k new??? can they see through cars too???! lol. owell if that's the case i'll just wait for someone to sell theirs. although i don't think anyone would... thanks anyway.. good info!

CANDEE
21-09-2008, 09:28 AM
You can get them as Halogen units but not HID units like Whenz and my sets... but they are still around the $1500 mark + shipping from japan....

Springie
25-09-2008, 01:07 AM
D2's arrived yesterday but due to a courier redirect got them this morning. So didn't take very long at all. Will maybe start a new thread with pics etc

scott.mohekey
25-09-2008, 02:02 AM
That was quick! From japan or did they have some in stock in nz?

Springie
25-09-2008, 03:11 AM
That was quick! From japan or did they have some in stock in nz?

Yep, was faster than I was expecting. They came fresh off the plane, not sure if they are from Japan or not though. Hopefully, will install them this weekend if all goes to plan.

Springie
27-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Some pics are attached. Spring rates turned out fine, i would actually like them a bit harder.

Kenneth
27-09-2008, 05:42 AM
what spring rates did you get?

scott.mohekey
27-09-2008, 06:09 AM
The ride height on the back in the last picture kinda makes it look like they're galant springs.

Also, what is the strut on the left in the first picture?

Springie
27-09-2008, 06:43 AM
The ride height on the back in the last picture kinda makes it look like they're galant springs.

Also, what is the strut on the left in the first picture?

Nah, its wound down pretty hard. can't go any lower at the moment as exhaust is scraping hard. Will be fixing that soon.

The strut on the left is the teins that where in it before, which are incidently looking for a new home.

Springie
27-09-2008, 06:51 AM
what spring rates did you get?

Ended up getting the 'standard' rates as NZ supplier don't seem willing/know/able to order custom spring rates. So they will be 16.1kg Front and 7.2kg Rear.

Like we talked about, i though they would be to hard with yours being 12/8kg, but they are not as hard as I expected. In fact am a little disappointed, i wish they were harder. That being said if the car was a bit higher they would be excellent.

All in all though the I would definatley recommend them and the spring rate of the D2's will be no issue at all for daily driving.

I am going to play around with the preloads a bit to try get them a bit harder though.

Kenneth
27-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Ended up getting the 'standard' rates as NZ supplier don't seem willing/know/able to order custom spring rates. So they will be 16.1kg Front and 7.2kg Rear.

Like we talked about, i though they would be to hard with yours being 12/8kg, but they are not as hard as I expected. In fact am a little disappointed, i wish they were harder. That being said if the car was a bit higher they would be excellent.

All in all though the I would definatley recommend them and the spring rate of the D2's will be no issue at all for daily driving.

I am going to play around with the preloads a bit to try get them a bit harder though.

7.2kg is 10% down on 8kg so a bit softer, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you don't intend to have the car excessively low.

Whats your top priority, looks or handling?

Springie
27-09-2008, 07:17 AM
7.2kg is 10% down on 8kg so a bit softer, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you don't intend to have the car excessively low.

Whats your top priority, looks or handling?

Both, but handling is more important. If the extra tweeking doesn't make both ends hard i may get some custom springs made. But over all i am happy with them.

bradc
27-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Does it just feel soft at the back or all round?

Kenneth
27-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Both, but handling is more important. If the extra tweeking doesn't make both ends hard i may get some custom springs made. But over all i am happy with them.

try raising it so that you have about 1cm between the tyre and the guard at the back, and 2cm at the front. I found this approximate hight to give excellent handling characteristics.

Try it and see how it goes, if you don't like it then drop it a bit further.

Springie
27-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Does it just feel soft at the back or all round?

I wouldn't say its soft. When compared to my mates S15's D2 they are no where near as hard (of course his a drift ones), but are definatley harder than the teins.

I think it just that due to the discussion on here I was expecting them to be excessively hard, and they are not. They are actually very good with no roll at all, and a smooth ride. Its more a personal preference more than anything, i would just like it to be a couple more kilos stiffer if i could choose.

I guess I came across the wrong way how I wrote that post. They are excellent in every way really, just for my preference I would like a stiffer ride. The handling characteristics at the moment are suburb. Also they basically have no preload on them atm, so a simple tweek of that may get me to my desired ride. I will report on this possibly tommorrow.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone on here.

Springie
28-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Just an update.

It appears the tech data I originally read may be incorrect,as comparing the numbers written on the springs with another table, says the spring rate is in fact 12.1 / 7.0 kg.

Which i believe is more true, as like I have mentioned the ride is not as hard as expected. So something for anyone thinking of these to be aware of (even though the ride is still excellent).

I have also risen the back for the car and has fix 90% of the scraping issues and still looks wicked.

djb160
28-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Can you post up some shots of it since it's been raised?

Springie
28-09-2008, 10:01 AM

I thought I had some pics, but remembered my camera died and I couldnt take any. Will post some up tomorrow. Its not drastically higher but makes all the difference.

Springie
30-09-2008, 07:53 AM

heres a quick pic, got some 9kg ish springs on the way for the rear too.

djb160
02-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Holy crap that's low. Too low for me. Nice combo of white car/flares/rims though

thfelipeth
02-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Nah, its wound down pretty hard. can't go any lower at the moment as exhaust is scraping hard. Will be fixing that soon.

The strut on the left is the teins that where in it before, which are incidently looking for a new home. hey man how much are you selling the teins for??? i've got a warm home

Springie
02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
hey man how much are you selling the teins for??? i've got a warm home

Make an offer

thfelipeth
02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Make an offer hahaha. whats their condition and how old are they??? and what price do you have in mind? i'm looking for a good price lol. cheers

Springie
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
hahaha. whats their condition and how old are they??? and what price do you have in mind? i'm looking for a good price lol. cheers

PM'd

Springie
09-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Update for anyone interested. Got an installed 8.93 kg/mm (500lb/in) springs in the rear, the difference is amazing. I am now looking at chucking harder front ones in now, 12 is just too soft for me i reckon.

I'm think I am going to go for 13.8kg, as the next step is 14.28kg.

eddyvr4
18-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Bump for any update from existing or new owners of these BC coilovers?

no problems?

pitslayer
19-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Dont think anyone is running them, but in the UK I can get a good price on a groupbuy

eddyvr4
19-03-2009, 01:37 AM
hmm. im trying to figure out if they are in fact available for the legnum.
here is the factory parts listing, but i cant see our chassis codes

http://www.bcec.com.tw/products_app/APP-BR-RA.htm#M1

eddyvr4
19-03-2009, 01:59 AM
hmm. im trying to figure out if they are in fact available for the legnum.
here is the factory parts listing, but i cant see our chassis codes

http://www.bcec.com.tw/products_app/APP-BR-RA.htm#M1

can anyone advise?

pitslayer
19-03-2009, 02:06 AM
http://clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37796

eddyvr4
20-03-2009, 03:00 AM
this link does not work for me, i get error, can you elaborate? im interested..

eddyvr4
20-03-2009, 03:13 AM
i i just found that link - doesnt really tell me much more.

anyway the manufacturere emailed me back and advised the B-01 unit is apprently the one for a legnum, (in the RA series) although the retailer in NZ has his doubts they will fit and is going to chase BC himself to confirm. the supplied Spring rates of 10kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear sounds to be on the mark for legnum in terms of weight distribution.

pitslayer
20-03-2009, 11:32 AM
ys the ra do fit a legnum

Springie
04-04-2009, 09:41 AM
i i just found that link - doesnt really tell me much more.

anyway the manufacturere emailed me back and advised the B-01 unit is apprently the one for a legnum, (in the RA series) although the retailer in NZ has his doubts they will fit and is going to chase BC himself to confirm. the supplied Spring rates of 10kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear sounds to be on the mark for legnum in terms of weight distribution.

FYI, with my D2's i ended up getting custom springs made up, and currently have 14kg / 10kg. I find the 10kg on the back to be pretty good but could go harder still on the front, interestingly the move from 12 to 14 on the fronts actually made the ride far smoother.

I think the damper setup has a lot to do with the ride also.

eddyvr4
25-04-2009, 02:22 AM
i ended up buying a set of the bc racing units, review here

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5702