PDA

View Full Version : Tapping.

Nty2k
17-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Hi all

Does anybody know why my 1990 2li engine is getting so tappity?
When its not tapping it sounds lovely but when it does start tapping it sounds crap.Im not sure why its doing this.

Thanks

Nick Mann
17-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Do you have hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters?

If so do a search as this site has many comments on them.

Kieran
17-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeah, the 1990 Galant GLSI will be fitted out with the evergreen 4G63, and yes, it'll be the lash adjusters.

Do a search on the site for the aforementioned term and you'll be presented with a tidal wave of information :)

Japmetal
19-03-2004, 01:21 AM
The 4G63 is notorious for tapping - even in newer versions; It's caused by air trapped in the hydraulic lifters & does no harm, so dont worry too much. The worst problem is it makes the car sound like a bit of a shed until you wave at them as you sail past ! :-b

Nty2k
19-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.....so it does no harm,thats ok then.I have searched the site but have been unable to find any info, is it in the non vr4 section or somewhere else? True japmetal all you can hear really is the 5 inch backbox anyway when driving its just when its tiking over u can hear it.
Thanks again people :)

Big Ian
19-03-2004, 09:57 PM
have you used the search tag at the top of each forum? as like other's have said there's load's about the lasher's(you'll be up all night reading it!) and don't forget alway's use a good engine flush before oil change's...

KiwiTT
09-04-2004, 07:56 AM
It looks like it could be the lash adjusters as described elsewhere.

When
@ 1000rpm- = no tapping
@ 2000rpm = tapping
@ 3000rpm+ = no tapping

It returns again when rpm drops to around 2,000rpm

@ 2,000 It sounds like this

t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t then a click when a little pressure is applied to the accelerator then normal engine noise. It seems to be when I am at enough throttle to generate about 2,000rpm. because above and below that I am fine.

But not all the time. :huh:

Why I am not sure is because, the lash adjuster problem seems noticeable @ idle as well, whereas my does not.