PDA

View Full Version : Drove another EVO X today

bradc
13-09-2008, 04:01 AM
I popped into Mitsi in Newmarket where they had a 7000km old 5spd EVO X demonstrator. Went for a quick drive in it and I didn't think it was all that nice. If I had a stock manual VR-4, I'd probably keep the VR-4.

The boot is very small, probably half as long as a VR-4 and not very deep either. 2 people could probably go away in it for the weekend, but definitely not 4. Even my 850CSi has a bigger boot and it is a coupe with only 2 (useable) seats.

Road noise and manners were it's strong point. Very quiet, no wind or tyre noise and even on 245/40/18 tyres there was less tramlining and less crashing over bumps compared to my car. It felt similar to a stock VR-4 on stock 225/50/16 tyres. The one I drove did have the uprated suspension though, maybe that plays a part. It felt better than my car.

The brakes are outstanding. Lots of feel and they bite very early, just about threw the sales guy out of the seat when I stood on them :D

Visability isn't great, the rear wing makes it completely hopeless to look out of and the C pillar is quite large. Good out through the front though, easy to see where the end of the bonnet is. I didn't sit in the rear but there is just as much room in the back as there is in a VR-4, more than enough for normal height people.

The handbrake is on the wrong side of the car, designed for the passenger to pull it up, or a big fat american. I found doing hill starts a bit difficult simply because I had to reach across so far. It's a jap car, screw the stupid american's!

The dash looks nasty, as does the steering wheel. The leather on the steering wheel was nice though, but the centre is just too big. The quality on the top of the dash on a VR-4 looks and feels quite a bit better, there are acres of hard plastic on the dash. The seperated dials in their own little cowlings just seemed strange to me and I thought the speedo dial was quite small and a bit hard to focus on. It goes up to 300kmh which is strange considering the car is only geared for 241kmh at 7000rpm. It would have been better to get rid of the cowlings and go for a 240kmh speedo.

The gearbox felt just like mine, no surprise there considering they are the still the same box, perhaps a bit notchier but it always felt like it would find the gear and it had a nice short throw. I didn't see an SST one there, but the guy told me one will be there next week if I'd like to drive it. The gearing on the 5 speed is quite short, even compared to a manual VR-4. At 6000rpm the speeds in each gear are 55, 81, 109, 144, 207, whereas a VR-4 is 52, 83, 124, 169, 228. They've made the gears short to get over the turbo lag, but driving at 3200rpm at normal motorway cruise speed of 110kmh seemed a bit silly. They really should have made the manual a 6 speed gearbox like in the 8 and 9.

The engine however was the big let down. There is NOTHING beneath 3000rpm, even in 2nd gear it takes some time to start moving. It also felt like a VR-4 engine above 5500rpm, just a bit flat and it did feel past it by 6000rpm. I took it all the way to the cutout at 7500rpm and while it was very quiet through the entire rev range, it didn't sound very nice and felt like I was trashing it. Contrasting a VR-4 or an N/A 6A13 which just sounds happier and happier the higher you take it, I was very disappointed. You need to rev it to get anything out of it, but it doesn't sound as if it likes revving. We've definitely got the much better engine. It doesn't punch you back at 4000rpm either like a VR-4 with instanta boost. I floored it at 4000rpm both in 2nd and 3rd from a steady speed and it took a little while for the turbo to spin up, then it accelerated at about the speed of a stock VR-4.

Overall it is a nice car and if you are the type that buys a car new and has it for 3 years then sells it, without needing to carry anyone around or any luggage, it is a fine car, still quick around corners but very quiet and civilised, better than a VR-4 and the various 7/8/9's I've been in.

I think they've tried to make it exactly half way between the EVO 7/8/9 and the VR-4, more refined but still quick and overall I think it isn't ideal. They would have been better to keep it 200kg lighter and have more of the impact and design cues of the old EVO 5/6 and then make a larger, more executive car like the VR-4 is. If I had an EVO 7/8/9 I was driving every day, then then EVO X would make a nice upgrade, but I wouldn't change a VR-4 for one, even at the same price! The lack of lag, more boot room and V6 sound are all just too good

If mitsi can make a 2.0L drive like the 2.5L V6 (ignoring the lag) I'd love to see what a 2008 or 2009 VR-4 would be like with the 6B31 engine from the V6 Outlander and a few turbos in a slightly larger car, around 4.7-4.8 metres instead of the 4.5m long EVO X.

Concept ZT anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6B3_engine
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070907.011/mitsubishi-concept-zt-to-debut-in-tokyo

Nick Mann
13-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Interesting thoughts, Brad. Good write up.

Subaru ETA
13-09-2008, 08:53 AM
so, its basically like any standard evo then... compared to the vr4, evos have alot of lag

White Lightning
13-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Very interesting read Brad. Thanks for posting this up.

colVR4
13-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeh, really interesting write-up Brad. I have been considering the EVO X but haven't been for a test drive yet, it sounds like I need to. My VR4 is going better than it ever has so it going to take something special for me to replace it at the moment and the EVO X doesn't sound like its going to do the job!!

bradc
13-09-2008, 08:18 PM
It was the lag and the fact it wasn't any quicker than a VR-4 that disappointed me, it didn't feel special like say the jump from a V6 to a VR-4

Ryan
13-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Great article Brad. I will not be buying one anytime soon, especially not for $68k!!

Robotnik123
14-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Hmm, too bad you can't test the equivalent Sub Impreza STi. A comparison of those two would be interesting.

bradc
14-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Can't be too difficult, I bull****ted my way into one test drive!

Turbo_Steve
14-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Worryingly, the new scoob is widely regarded as being WORSE than the Evo!

Beastlee
14-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Sophie (my 11y.o. daughter) has been spending a lot of time with a boy who lives round the corner. His parents have just bought a 58-plate Evo-X in the metallic burgundy colour. Was going to chat to him as I've been looking at the possibility of making some money on one as a tax free bargain.
This review has helped me decide the Evo-X is not for me.

bradc
14-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I would still suggest people at least go and look for themselves. I realise not all dealers will let people jump straight into a car, but I think a lot of VR-4 owners would be turned off by the size of the boot alone. It is seriously about half the size of a VR-4's, and you can't put a Sub or anything in it either because the access panels for the washer fluid and battery get in the way

Ryan
14-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I thought that having the battery in the boot was quite clever of them.

bradc
14-09-2008, 08:48 PM
It is clever of them to improve the weight distribution, the EVO X has almost the same weight on the front wheels as an EVO 8/9 but and extra 125kg over the rear wheels

Turbo_Steve
15-09-2008, 10:46 PM
IMO You can put a sub in anything :)

valleyforge1
16-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Good write up. Interesting

Delzx7r
16-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Based on that write-up if I could've lived with the fuel consumption and still had my Evo IV I would be out looking for Evo X's to blitz!

chris g
16-09-2008, 08:53 PM
If you visit MLR there is a review of race driver taking an Evo X around Spa - cannot remember the model - may have been a 360 - but his view was: well balanced and some other positive comments compard to, IIRC, Evo IX

However as a comparison with VR-4 - storage and other qualities - VR-4 owners may prefer the 8G Galant