PDA

View Full Version : Brakes problem

wirdy
17-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Have been fitting my new National discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads today.
For the people who have done this job themselves, were your caliper mount bolts really solid? (The other two bolts that hold the caliper frame to the hub carrier were fine).

I had to get a extender bar to undo both nearside caliper bolts and found lots of crud on the studs.....that's why they were tight, offside was the same but unfortunately a little tighter and one stud sheared off, leaving just 0.5 mm proud of the hole....oh sh#t......glad I did this during the day at work, the workshops guys are in...tried heating with a acetylene torch, didn't move it, tapped stud for an easi-out, broke the easi-out, had to resort to drilling the entire stud out, praying that the drill was going down centrally.
Problem now sorted, stud remnants removed, everything copa-slipped to death and collecting a new caliper bolt from the Mitsy garage tomorrow (£7.30+vat...wtf!!) I need it and have no other option!!.

One thing that did puzzle me though, the top and bottom caliper bolts are different, both are the same diameter but one has a machined area right at the end and this sits in a small rubber grommet at the bottom of the hole in the caliper frame...why??...plus, on my car the nearside caliper had solid bolt at the top and the machined bolt at the bottom, the offside had the machined bolt at the top and the soild bolt at the bottom, any ideas??
I'm always inclined to put things back exactly as I took them apart, but has the previous owner f##ked up and put them back in wrong?

Have temporarily fitted the calipers back on using the small bit of bolt and they slide back and forward beautifully now. Having looked at my old discs, the inner pads were not contacting properly and all the work was being done by the outer pads, this was obviously due to the seized caliper bolts not allowing the caliper to slide. Maybe worth checking your brakes to see if this is a common problem? (The caliper bolts have some hardly-noticeable machined flats on them that seem to be a haven for crud to build up).

It seems that my distrust of the EBC green stuff pads that were fitted was actually a prob with the caliper......never mind.....now have some nice new discs and some nice new Ferodo pads to bed in - once I get this new bolt.

Good service recommendation.......South Cleveland Mitsubishi- Darlington- (mike) - told him I needed this bolt and he said they were in central stock & would be here on friday......mmmmmmm, I said, my cars sat on the ramp at the moment and I can't leave it there more than a day....."no problem" he said, "I'll have them sent VOR (vehicle-off-road) next day delivery at no extra charge. Thank you sir!!

Spirit
17-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Nigel

Can't comment about the problems you had with the calipers (as I did not fit mine - Woodford Garage did), but I am glad you got it sorted mate ;)

With regards to the part from Mitsy, my local dealer has always advised me that any central parts if ordered by mid-day will be there next day and after mid-day will be two days. Not doubting his help, just passing on my local dealers info.

wirdy
17-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I ordered the bolt at 16.15 hrs today.....that's why I was pleased to be getting it tomorrow.

By the way, Simon at Woodford was very helpful with the discs, I was on business trip to Barnstaple last week, so did a small detour to Totnes using the firms diesel...why not, and saved the £10 postage!!

Spirit
17-03-2004, 09:38 PM
That is good service mate !

Should have let me know you went to Totnes last week mate, I was on holiday and could have popped up for a beer - only 25 mins from Plymouth - glad you were happy with their service.

wirdy
17-03-2004, 10:21 PM
It really was a fleeting visit- after my detour from Barnstaple to Totnes I still had to drive back to North Yorkshire in a oner.
My eyes were on stalks by the evening :stare: , especially since I saw 'Trago Mills' and had to pop in for some bargains for an hour or so!! :greedy:
You wouldn't have been impressed with my Vauxhall Corsa anyway :$ :$ , awful driving position, but 55mpg and it sat at (shhh....(95) most of the way home). :-D

P.S You have lots of holidays, Pete? :D

simpsonm
18-03-2004, 12:14 AM
I just had mine in for a 54000 mile service and one front and both back calipers were seized on the sliders. The mechanic stripped them all down and sorted them out for me. He said the front caliper took ages to get in a state he was satisfied with. Apparently the caliper was only moving at one end so caused the pad to wear in a wedge shape. Hence I have bought the goods like yourselves from woodford. So looks like it could be a common thing. Oh the dealer was Hepworth Mits Bradford, they seem like a good set of guys tho wanted to charge me £300 + vat for front discs, pads and fitting. I reckon with what I have bought 2day I will save bought £60 overall. Cheers to Pete!!!

Spirit
18-03-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks to Simon at Woodford really, just make sure you guys give him a call for whatever mods/upgrades you want - he can get most things and I reckon the best price too ! Need to keep him sweet for the future ;)

wirdy
18-03-2004, 12:57 AM
There's another person with the same problem....thanks Simpsonm, if your calipers have been seized since you got your car then you probably wouldn't notice it as you have no comparison (I didn't) unless you inspect the inside of your discs regularly (nigh on impossible due to the dust / heat shield) or if you drove another fault-free VR-4 (and that's not an everyday occurrence).

Get your calipers checked before Castle Combe!!!!!!!

I'm checking my rear calipers tomorrow also.

There's a fair amount of trade going to Woodford Garage. I know Simon went and looked up your quote, Pete, before giving me a price just for discs.

I wish I'd have posed as a cold caller now, just to see if there was any difference, perhaps if the volume of trade continues, and each person mentions CVR4 we could ask for a 5% discount for members?????

Spirit
18-03-2004, 08:28 AM
There is already a discount for CVR4 people - at least 15% ! Thats why I asked we looked after him, all we haven't done is implimented the membership part of it - at the moment anyone who mentions CVR4 gets the discount.

Physician
18-03-2004, 09:29 AM
In respect of the original problem on this thread and a number of other posts I've noticed here - there seems to be an issue with 'crud' build up which obviously causes problems .......... but is it any worse than other marques?
I noticed some 'wind deflectors' on a site a few days ago (think it was a Scooby/Evo site) which are fitted on the inside of the front wheels and deflect airflow directly onto the brakes for the purpose of cooling rather than cleaning but it crossed my mind that this may minimise brake dust, and indeed general muck. They weren't cheap though and I doubt they are avilable for VR4's off the shelf.

Richard

Nick Mann
18-03-2004, 10:26 AM
I have noticed the crud on my wheels - haven't looked at the brakes yet. I think that the auto needs much more force to stop it than a manual would - try dropping the car into neutral and then stopping.

Richard, I think the venting would be a good thing for all brake problems.

wirdy
18-03-2004, 10:57 AM
There is already a discount for CVR4 people - at least 15% ! .....- at the moment anyone who mentions CVR4 gets the discount.

you've put my mind at rest :)

wirdy
18-03-2004, 09:35 PM
New caliper bolt fitted ( came in to Mitsy garage @ 10am this morning - not bad eh?)
Rear calipers were absolutely fine with plenty of grease still apparent on the caliper bolts. Intriguingly, the rears both had the machined bolt at the top???? and the straight bolt at the bottom. I'm beginning to think the previous owner has put the front ones back incorrectly, but won't know for sure until I have a look at the exploded diagram next time I'm at the Mitsy garage.

Took car out for a run to bed in the new discs and pads. The copaslip on the back of the pads was fizzing and popping when I got home, no signs of fading at all, roll on Castle Combe to give them the ultimate test. :D

National discs & Ferodo pads......in a word........Awesome :-D :-D