PDA

View Full Version : How much can you push?

Davezj
14-09-2008, 02:08 PM
On standard sping and dampers.

How much give is there in the front suspension when you push down on the front wing.

I am not sure if i have standard spring or not.

bradc
14-09-2008, 08:06 PM
TBH that is a very vague question that one can only give vague answers to.

Some of the aftermarket springs aren't much harder than the stock ones either, although they can lower the car by quite a bit.

Lastly, how heavy are you and how hard are you pushing down?

Davezj
14-09-2008, 10:29 PM
very heavy and very hard. i am 18 stone and not afraied to sit on my front wing, you don't get much harder than that.

i have 18" with 40 profile tyres on, and it seems that when i push down the only thing that give is the side wall of the tyres. the suspensiopn doesn't give at all.

When i bought the car it had some lowering springs on that dropped it about 40mm (but could have been more) i think this was too low for the roads round manchester (big speed bumps about 5"+) so i put what thought where standard springs on but when i think about it they are still very hard.

the thing that sparked this line of thought was my dad Ford Fiesta all 4 corners bounced like a beachball down up then setled back down like suspension should. at this point i tried mine and nothing, it just didn't move.

Hence the question.

any response would be greatly received.

But not Wibble, i would not be impressed with a response like Wibble!!!

Thank you

Davezj
19-09-2008, 01:47 PM
bump

any more for any more.

Springie
25-09-2008, 03:17 AM
I have to agree with Brad, the question is vague.

Regarding the festiva if its got factory suspension it will have more give than aftermarket, however I would be inclined to say the festivas shocks are stuffed if they 'bounce like a beachball'. I've always gone by the rule that the car shouldn't bounce more than 2-3 times when pushed down and released.

Are you wanting softer suspension? or are just asking how much bounce others get for interest? I would guess that if only the side walls give then you ain't got standard springs in there, if that helps.

Davezj
30-09-2008, 01:19 PM
just asking how much bounce others get for interest? I would guess that if only the side walls give then you ain't got standard springs in there, if that helps.[/QUOTE]

yes it does help thanks.
i would have expected it give more than it does. and yes it is just out of interest. as i was so purprised that the fiesta was so soft.

but as i said the fiesta suspension was fine, compress, bounce back up and then settle, as it should do. but it compressed and bounced a long way.