PDA

View Full Version : Maf

psbarham
14-09-2008, 07:21 PM
does any one have any idea what the resistor looking thingy at the rear of the MAF is or does and what difference will it make if one is broken/Grrr

Kieran
14-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Think that's the air temp sensor - As it gets hotter/colder the resistance changes and that's fed to the ECU.

Kieran
14-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Just looked at the service manuals - the ECU will spit code 13 if it's broke and it assumes the incoming air is at 25 degrees C as a 'default' value.

psbarham
14-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Think that's the air temp sensor - As it gets hotter/colder the resistance changes and that's fed to the ECU.

i thought so :(

looks like a call to mitsubendmeoverabarrelandrodgermewithalargebillbis hi tomorrow then/Grrr

psbarham
14-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Just looked at the service manuals - the ECU will spit code 13 if it's broke and it assumes the incoming air is at 25 degrees C as a 'default' value.

right i'll pull the codes tomorrow and see what it says, as of yet there has been no engine light

bradc
14-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Surely with the amount of VR-4's you have you would be able to use one of their resistors. I think Mitsi will probably try and sell you an entire MAF and I wouldn't want to know how much that is!

psbarham
14-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Surely with the amount of VR-4's you have you would be able to use one of their resistors. I think Mitsi will probably try and sell you an entire MAF and I wouldn't want to know how much that is!

i have looked at that but the soldering is a tad delicate for my dirty great mits to tackle

bradc
14-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Just get K to do it then, he's got small girly hands

Nick Mann
14-09-2008, 09:54 PM
With the MAP2 the ECU gets fed from a resistor (24 degrees all the time) and then the MAP2's own inlet air temp sensor feeds the MAP2. I'm reasonably sure that this replaces the resistor in the MAF that you are talking about.

Is this a VR4 or something else? If you can get evoscan to read the air temp, if it is a constant temp then you will know that the resistor is not doing its job.

psbarham
14-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Is this a VR4 or something else? If you can get evoscan to read the air temp, if it is a constant temp then you will know that the resistor is not doing its job.

its the all show and no go gdi, i still havn't got a copy of evo scan yet/pan.

anyway i bit the bullet and got busy with the soldering iron, one of the vr4's we got came with a duff maf in the boot so i have butchered that, on 1st start up it seems a lot better, i havn't test driven it yet as that meant moving the tractor (well cats golf, well its red and sounds like a tractor anyway) as soon as it gets a run i shall report back to see if there is any difference

Eurospec
15-09-2008, 04:04 AM
It is indeed the ait that dangles down there.

cheers,

Ben.