PDA

View Full Version : Hi...I'm a new member from Singapore !

vr4ever
18-03-2004, 09:32 PM
How are u guys out there ?
Feel free to contact me to chat abt your VR4's !

Cheers !
VR4ever

wirdy
18-03-2004, 09:38 PM
:welcome:
Many VR-4's in Singapore??

Physician
19-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Anyone who owns a VR4 in Singapore must be close to being, or actually, a millionaire - the cost of owning a car there is horrendous - that's providing you can actually get permission and pay for the priviledge of owning a car.
VR4ever ... welcome and please explain to all us UK Ang Moh's the procedure of owning a car in Singapore and how much it costs ........... it will be a real eye opener for us.
Cheers,
Richard

silvergalant99
19-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Welcome VR4ever! :welcome: Glad to have an asian neighbor here at the clubvr4!

Jerome :cool1:

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 07:52 AM

Hi Wirdy..there's approx 30 to 50 VR4's in Singapore.
We are talking abt the 2500 V6 model, as none of the early 4 cylinder models(VR4) were ever imported to Singapore !
Btw..how many 2500 cc V6 VR4 are in the UK right now ?

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Anyone who owns a VR4 in Singapore must be close to being, or actually, a millionaire - the cost of owning a car there is horrendous - that's providing you can actually get permission and pay for the priviledge of owning a car.
VR4ever ... welcome and please explain to all us UK Ang Moh's the procedure of owning a car in Singapore and how much it costs ........... it will be a real eye opener for us.
Cheers,
Richard

Ha ha..how I wish I were a millionaire...me, more like a "millionaire" in debt to my car !
Ok the 2500cc V6 VR4 cost new in Singapore approx EURO 76,500.00 !
That's approx S$ 155,000.00 (Singapore dollars) or British pounds 51,000.00
The price I've mentioned includes all taxes and the all important certificate of entitlement (COE) which u must bid or buy from the "open market" before u are allowed to register the car.
There are afew categories for the COE, like 1600cc and below, above 1600cc, goods vehicle category and motorcycle category.
Most popular and expensive is the 1600cc and below, as that is the bread and butter category and each COE tender per certificate will fetch approx EURO 12,500.00.
In the past..above 1600cc will fetch 10% to 20% more than the 1600cc category.
However, due to the downturn of the local economy..the price difference is abt 5% to 10% depending on demand and supply.
At it's peak, the COE even hit EURO 52,500.00 for each certificate excluding the cost of the car !!!
And for your info, each COE will entitle u to own a car for 10 years max, thereafter you will need to bid for another COE to enhance the lifespan of your vehicle, otherwise you will need to export or scrap your vehicle !
However, if you really love your car, you can bid for a new COE after 10 years for either 5 years or another 10 years, but if you bid the former, you will need to export or scrap your vehicle after that 5 years..but for the new 10 year COE, you can renew for another 10 years and so on till eternity !
But if u do scrap and export a car before 10 years, then you can get back the pro-rated COE..for example if your COE costs EURO 50,000.00 and after using one year and u decided to export or scrap your car, you'll get back EURO 45,000.00..and so on and so forth until 10 years when the COE value hits 0 value !
Now to give you guys a rough idea how much a 1600cc Toyota Corolla costs in Singapore, it is apprrox EURO 36,500.00 including COE and all taxes !
A current EVO 8 will set u back approx EURO 79,000.00 again inclusing COE and all taxes !
And Singapore does not allow a "commoners" to buy left hand(LHD) drive vehicles unless you are a diplomat like from USA, a left hand drive country...so we will not get to see exotic cars like the Ferrari Enzo or F40 + F50 as they are all LHD !
On the brighter side, we have cars like Ferrari 360 Modena, Ferrai 575 Maranello, Porsche 996 Turbo etc..
Examples of the pricing for the above cars as follows : Ferrari 360 Modena = EURO 400,000.00, Ferrari 575 Maranello = EURO 500,000.00, and Porsche 996 Turbo = EURO 355,500.00
The most expensive car ever to be registered in Singapore was the Jaguar XJ220 which I heard costs the owner some EURO 1.5 million including all taxes and COE !!!
But of coz the buyer of the XJ220 was some rich royalty from some country...so I guess poor guys like me have to settle for a more down to earth " supercar " like the VR4 !
And besides COE...we also need to have a cash card on hand and put in a slot of an electronic device to have cash value deducted for the electronic road pricing system.
It is the first in the world to curb excessive traffic during peak hours in the central business district (CBD) and other restricted areas like in the morning during the office rat race...deduction can range from EURO 0.25 to 1.00 per entry...however it ends daily from 7.00pm and Sat and Sun..they are not working..so when u enter the central business district (CBD) and other restricted areas...it's free...
Oh...if u fail to have a cash card on hand to have the toll fee deducted..you'll have to pay a fine of EURO 5.00 per entry without the cash value deducted from your cash card system in your car !
Hope my story helps for those thinking of coming to Singapore to buy a car in future.

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Welcome VR4ever! :welcome: Glad to have an asian neighbor here at the clubvr4!

Jerome :cool1:

Thanks Jerome...so you're from Philippine...right ?
Been there many years back...and yes I like the place !
U've been to Singapore ?

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:29 AM
And for those planning a trip to Singapore for holiday, or on business and even get a job posting here...feel free to contact me as I'll be happy to show you guys around + entertain you during your stay in Sunny Singapore ! : :)

Spirit
19-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Welcome to Club VR4 mate - hope you find it useful and fun - don't forget to join as a full member too ;)

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Welcome to Club VR4 mate - hope you find it useful and fun - don't forget to join as a full member too ;)

Hi bro..thanks and what's the difference between a full member and a partial member like myself now ?
How do I become a full member ? :)

Spirit
19-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Join here mate: http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/clubvr4/joincvr4.php

The current benefits are:

1: Access to the new "Members Only" forums
2: Club VR4 Membership Card
3: Club VR4 car sticker
4: Club discounts (for further details please see members area )
5: Club VR4 quarterly newsletter
6: First choice to attend future events
7: Pictures of your car in the Members Cars section

You can also pay by paypal here: http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/shop/

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Join here mate: http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/clubvr4/joincvr4.php

The current benefits are:

1: Access to the new "Members Only" forums
2: Club VR4 Membership Card
3: Club VR4 car sticker
4: Club discounts (for further details please see members area )
5: Club VR4 quarterly newsletter
6: First choice to attend future events
7: Pictures of your car in the Members Cars section

You can also pay by paypal here: http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/shop/Ok thanks mate...will check it out and may even sign up !
Btw who's the owner of this site ?

Spirit
19-03-2004, 09:14 AM
BraindG is the webmaster (Barry)

silvergalant99
19-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks Jerome...so you're from Philippine...right ?
Been there many years back...and yes I like the place !
U've been to Singapore ?

No, not yet but was suppose to visit there 2 years ago. I was suppose to compete in the local karting series in malaysia. but due to lack of financial support from sponsors, the trip was cancelled. :(

enigma
19-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Was in Singapore 2 years ago.........it was full of cars! How the hell do people afford them?!!!

Didn't like Singapore I have to say! It was too damn hot!

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 09:29 AM
BraindG is the webmaster (Barry)

Ok mate...thanks for the info !

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Was in Singapore 2 years ago.........it was full of cars! How the hell do people afford them?!!!

Didn't like Singapore I have to say! It was too damn hot!

Ok...one good way to buy cars here is to sell backside to buy...ha ha just kidding !
I think most Singaporeans probably work their butts out and doing overtime to buy their cars !
But frankly...in Singapore we pay anything from 10% downpayment for a new car and pay back the balance up to a maximum of 10 years repayment scheme !
In the past...it was 30% downpayment and balance repayment in 7 years !
Well I think it's not the heat that bothered you...more of the humidity !
In the past when I visited Mauritius..the temperature is abt the same as Singapore, but there was also zero humidity and I felt so much more comfortable than back home !
Oh... and for your info..there's a population of abt 700,000 vehicles in Singapore with a human population of 4 + million !

enigma
19-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Oh... and for your info..there's a population of abt 700,000 vehicles in Singapore with a human population of 4 + million !

That may be true, but it seems all the vehicles are situated in 2 square miles!!!! :laugh:

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 10:57 AM
That may be true, but it seems all the vehicles are situated in 2 square miles!!!! :laugh:

Oh..not forgetting we only have 600+ square metres of land, as compared to other larger countries...so we are just a small land we lots of cars !
So if our 700,000 + vehicles ended up in UK..then we have lots of free space between cars !!! :-D

Spirit
19-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Incredible story about the costs of car ownership over there, thanks for sharing that with us.

How much does things like fuel cost ?

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Incredible story about the costs of car ownership over there, thanks for sharing that with us.

How much does things like fuel cost ?

Thanks for the comment...hmm... fuel costs is abt EURO 0.75 per litre for Shell V-power(top of the range petrol from Shell), and for Shell 98(mid-range) is approx EURO 0.65 per litre.
What abt fuel prices in the UK like cost per litre ?
And if u work in the city, you pay about EURO 90.00 per month for season parking...at some places the management collects 3 months in advance..so you'll be out EURO 270.00 in advance !
Next there are no parking meters in Singapore..we have a system whereby we will use parking coupons and it's usually either per block of 1/2 an hour or 1 hour.
Cost for normal parking places away from the central business district or tourist belt = 1/2 hr parking is EURO 0.25 and per hour is EURO 0.50...and for some places like the central business district or tourist belt..the cost of parking per 1/2 hour is EURO 0.50 !
Btw..more and more places like shopping malls etc are using cash card payment for parking like the restricted zone as mentioned earlier...and the parking charges are deducted through your cashcard device affixed in your car ! :-D

Spirit
19-03-2004, 07:35 PM
An average price around where I live is around 1.20 euros per litre for Shell Optimax (98 ron). This is the best grade of fuel we can currently get in the UK, but a few members have recently used 106 ron fuel at a drag strip - but that costs £39 ( nearly 60 euros) for 10 litres !

The car parking in my town is around £8 (12 euros) per day, but that is probably cheap to what many cities in the UK charge - in London you can pay £10 (15 euros) per hour I have heard !

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 07:43 PM
An average price around where I live is around 1.20 euros per litre for Shell Optimax (98 ron). This is the best grade of fuel we can currently get in the UK, but a few members have recently used 106 ron fuel at a drag strip - but that costs £39 ( nearly 60 euros) for 10 litres !

The car parking in my town is around £8 (12 euros) per day, but that is probably cheap to what many cities in the UK charge - in London you can pay £10 (15 euros) per hour I have heard !

Wow..1.20 euros is damn expensive for fuel man !!!
And to think that our VR4 guzzles fuel at an alarming rate too if you always keep the pedal to the metal !
My god...15 euros per hr for parking ???
I've gotta be Bill Gates earning US$60 million in bank interest per day to avoid feeling the $$$ pinch if I run a car like the VR4 in UK !!!
But as the saying goes..you win some, you lose some..so cars in my country is damn expensive, but fuel and parking charges in your country is astronomical too !!!
But again what benefits can ron 106 fuel do for your VR4 ???
At 60 euros per 10 litres ?
I'd rather have a nice Kobe beef steak or pop caviar like french fries than spend the $$$ it on ron 106 fuel !!! :-D

Spirit
19-03-2004, 07:51 PM
The guys who ran the 1/4 mile strip with a mixture of 106 ron and 98 ron reduced their times by at least 0.5s - not saying you would use it daily but there is a bit of competition on CVR4 to get the fastest 1/4 mile 8G VR4, and this is another tool they can use on drag days.

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 07:59 PM
The guys who ran the 1/4 mile strip with a mixture of 106 ron and 98 ron reduced their times by at least 0.5s - not saying you would use it daily but there is a bit of competition on CVR4 to get the fastest 1/4 mile 8G VR4, and this is another tool they can use on drag days.

Is 106 ron fuel the same as those used by F1 teams on their F1 cars ?
I'd say the best fuel to get the best time is using jet fuel like those F16 fighter jets !!!
I really wonder what kind of $$$ damage per litre for those jet fuel ???
So what's the best 1/4 mile so far for 8G VR4 so far ?
Are we talking tiptronic or manual gearbox for those 1/4 mile time ?
Btw..do u know what's the time difference between manual and tiptronic box for 8G VR4 ?
I've heard it's something like 0.5 secs for 0 to 60 mph acceleration between tiptronic and manual box !
Is that true ?

Physician
19-03-2004, 08:05 PM
vr4ever, thanks so much for replying to my message and detailing the cost of car ownership in Singapore......... it's very interesting for us guys over here.
I lived in Singapore for 8 months, KL for 6 months and KK for three months before moving to HK for seven years. Had an apartment at the Goodwood Park. Been visiting on business for the past 20 years and always had a cabana at the Marco Polo Hotel but alas that has been knocked down I believe.
Anyway I LOVE your country and the 30/32 degree temps .. far better than UK lol.
Oh for a nice Singapore Sling at Raffles again ........ oh well I've got a VR4 now to keep me happy. :)

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:30 PM
vr4ever, thanks so much for replying to my message and detailing the cost of car ownership in Singapore......... it's very interesting for us guys over here.
I lived in Singapore for 8 months, KL for 6 months and KK for three months before moving to HK for seven years. Had an apartment at the Goodwood Park. Been visiting on business for the past 20 years and always had a cabana at the Marco Polo Hotel but alas that has been knocked down I believe.
Anyway I LOVE your country and the 30/32 degree temps .. far better than UK lol.
Oh for a nice Singapore Sling at Raffles again ........ oh well I've got a VR4 now to keep me happy. :)

Hi again...glad u enjoyed my story and didn't fell asleep due to my long windedness !
So...you were a regular around the region where I stay...
Yes the Marco Polo ceased operation I think 3 to 4 years back and now..a new block of private condominiums stands in it's place !
I'm glad you've enjoyed your stay in S'pore...and if u plan to pop by again..do let me know in advance by emailing me : vr4@mail.com
I will definitely show u around + entertain you, and even pick u up from the airport and bring you to places you may have missed since u last visited here !
Arrgghh....besides S'pore sling...you should try " snow ball "...my fav drink...and if u ever visit Sentosa island..check out the sentosa spa and resort and visit The Cliff restaurant...it's one of the very best in the region ! :)