PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

Scanny
23-09-2008, 07:07 PM
webuyanycar.com offered me £200 for my car as a non runner. should i accept it or strip a few bits to keep as spares (lights, alloys etc) and just scrap it? it probably wouldnt be worth anything unless someone wanted it as a donor car

elnevio
23-09-2008, 07:10 PM
If you've got the time, strip the bits off. Just as long as you leave a rolling chassis to take down to the scrappie's.

Pairs of light clusters are probably saleable for £40 or so - headlights are always popular items. Entire interiors often required.

It's a trade-off based on time and space I guess!

Kieran
23-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd say if that's all they're offering that they can go knickers and you may as well strip the car. It's a shame the two most valuable bits (engine and box) are knackered, but You could strip things like the shockers, headlamps, brake calipers, alloys, ABS unit, ECU, etc etc and if £200 is all you'd get complete then you have the advantage that you don't need to charge much before you go above that level.

pitslayer
23-09-2008, 08:51 PM
whats wrong with the car?

strip worth more in bits

Scanny
24-09-2008, 07:53 PM
the radiator got punctured back in february/march. that got replaced but it had damaged the head so that needs sorting. since then the clutch plate is going. the last 2 months have seen the car sitting outside far more than it used to. im cutting my work down to 3/4 days a week with a night out ie go to work friday, sleep in the truck, back home saturday then do it again sunday. it gives me more shifts for fewer car journeys. there may also be a gearbox problem, not sure about that one. the garage had a quick look to diagnose the strange noise but i told them i wouldnt spend any money on it as i am getting a new car (STILL waiting :5shots: ) so they didnt do a full diagnostics check to find the problem. its now slipping in 5th gear so i dont think it has much left before it fails completely.
i dont have a driveway to keep the car so i would get the scrappy to collect after i had removed a few simple bits and pieces. it might even be worth keeping the radiator if it would fit the V6. i can chuck the parts in the shed

ritch_w
03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
strip as much off it as you can and try to make a few quid!.

most scrappys will pay for cars or weigh it in