PDA

View Full Version : Did u know your VR4 tiptronic is supplied by Porsche ???

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Did u guys know the 5 speed tiptronic gearboxes we have on our VR4 are supplied by Porsche ?
It's a reliable piece of equipment, and one of Mitsubishi's most reliable box available...but always remember to do your annual ATF fluid change...otherwise expensive $$$ needed to get it fix if things goes wrong ! :)

Spirit
19-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Thats amazing, never knew that ! Any way we can verify this, would be useful addition to the buyers guide ;)

Spirit
19-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Found some info here :

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/gearbox/tech_gear_auto.htm

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Thats amazing, never knew that ! Any way we can verify this, would be useful addition to the buyers guide ;)

Yes...I know..I was surprised as well when I first learned of it too !
But fact is..Porsche supplied MMC with those 5 speed boxes for the 8G VR4 !!!
If I'm not wrong...it's from the same family like those used on the Porsche 996 turbo..but for the 996 turbo..it's been upgraded further to withstand that 516 NM of torque and 420 Bhp or even 450 Bhp with the power upgrade kit from Porsche !!!
Now... I wonder whether the FTO shares the same tiptronic box with the 8G VR4 ?
I suspect the FTO uses a simpler version of the 5 speed box and differs by having less reinforcement than the VR4 !
Have u heard that one of the reason the Subaru RSKB4 never have a chance with the VR4 both equipped with auto boxes ?
Well the story is...the VR4 can be tweaked more than the RSKB4...and the reliability is there..whereas the RSKB4 will fall to bits and pieces when tweaked to the same boost as the VR4 !!!
There are several cases of RSKB4 with auto box failures when their owners slightly over boosted them...whereas the 8G VR4 is more forgiving !!! :D

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:19 PM
I was told that the 8G VR4 tiptronic box was made and supplied by Porsche to MMC by senior technicians of the agent of Mitsubishi vehicles in Singapore !
You know..those senior technicians knows more than us layman anytime of the day as they are always sent to MMC Japan for courses and job trainings !!!
And yes..it is a known fact in Japan as well....pity it's not a widely known fact in every country that's got VR4's !!!

wirdy
19-03-2004, 09:59 PM
But fact is..Porsche supplied MMC with those 5 speed boxes for the 8G VR4 !!!

Petes link suggests the gearboxes are 'licensed' from Porsche..... doesn't that normally mean that MMC have bought the rights to use the patented technology?

If I had an auto I think I'd prefer my 'box made by MMC anyway, the receiving company then often has more development money available to spend on refining the original design.

Porsches are nice cars, but I'd stick with the manufacturer with the Aviation design heritage anyday.

Spirit
19-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Here's a bit of the information, when you read it, it does imply Porsche designed it and licensed it out to MMC:

Porsche Tiptronic:

Based on an automatic transmission with torque converter, besides conventional auto mode it offers a manual override allowing the driver to shift by pushing the shifter forward and backward. Note that it is no quicker than a conventional auto. It only intends to enhance driving fun through involving the driver.
Shifter with + and - positions
Shift button on the steering wheel of Tiptronic S

The auto mode has 5 different programs to suit different driving style, something like the "Sport", "Economy" and
"Winter" mode in traditional autoboxes. The computer choose program according to driving style. For instance, frequent full-throttle operation and brisk release of throttle indicate a sporting driving style, thus "fast" program will be selected.
Even in manual mode, the computer may intervene under harmful conditions. For instance, if the driver let the rev exceeding redline without upshift, the computer will shift automatically.

Tiptronic was developed in conjunction by Porsche, ZF and Bosch. Porsche originated the idea, ZF made the gearbox
and Bosch responsible for the electronic control.

In 1995, a newer version called Tiptronic S launched. It offers fingertip control button mounted on the steering wheel spoke, thus allow the driver can to shift without loosing concentration on the road.

Who use it ?

Porsche Tiptronic / Tiptronic S
Audi / Volkswagen Tiptronic / Tiptronic S - licensed by Porsche)
Mitsubishi Invecs-II Sport Mode - simplified from Tiptronic and licensed by Porsche
Peugeot 607 - licensed by Porsche
Hyundai XG - licensed by Porsche
Honda S-matic
BMW Steptronic
Chrysler AutoStick
Toyota E-shift
Alfa Romeo Q-system
Mercedes One-Touch
Volvo Geartronic (probably also licensed by Porsche)
.... many

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Here's a bit of the information, when you read it, it does imply Porsche designed it and licensed it out to MMC:

Porsche Tiptronic:

Based on an automatic transmission with torque converter, besides conventional auto mode it offers a manual override allowing the driver to shift by pushing the shifter forward and backward. Note that it is no quicker than a conventional auto. It only intends to enhance driving fun through involving the driver.
Shifter with + and - positions
Shift button on the steering wheel of Tiptronic S

The auto mode has 5 different programs to suit different driving style, something like the "Sport", "Economy" and
"Winter" mode in traditional autoboxes. The computer choose program according to driving style. For instance, frequent full-throttle operation and brisk release of throttle indicate a sporting driving style, thus "fast" program will be selected.
Even in manual mode, the computer may intervene under harmful conditions. For instance, if the driver let the rev exceeding redline without upshift, the computer will shift automatically.

Tiptronic was developed in conjunction by Porsche, ZF and Bosch. Porsche originated the idea, ZF made the gearbox
and Bosch responsible for the electronic control.

In 1995, a newer version called Tiptronic S launched. It offers fingertip control button mounted on the steering wheel spoke, thus allow the driver can to shift without loosing concentration on the road.

Who use it ?

Porsche Tiptronic / Tiptronic S
Audi / Volkswagen Tiptronic / Tiptronic S - licensed by Porsche)
Mitsubishi Invecs-II Sport Mode - simplified from Tiptronic and licensed by Porsche
Peugeot 607 - licensed by Porsche
Hyundai XG - licensed by Porsche
Honda S-matic
BMW Steptronic
Chrysler AutoStick
Toyota E-shift
Alfa Romeo Q-system
Mercedes One-Touch
Volvo Geartronic (probably also licensed by Porsche)
.... many

Oops..could be..could be not...I think I'll check with those MMC technicians again..and hopefully get them to ask MMC Japan to clarify whether it's supplied by Porsche or licensed by Porsche...once I get an update..I'll post it here for all to see..cheers ! :-D

Nick VR4
19-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Mmm interesting did Porsche have some thing to do with the BMW SMG gearbox too
I may be wrong but I'm sure I resd somewhere about it ?

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Ok.. I know 4 speed tiptronic definitely licensed by Porsche to MMC...but 5 speed tip for VR4 have to await confirmation from MMC Japan before commenting.

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Mmm interesting did Porsche have some thing to do with the BMW SMG gearbox too
I may be wrong but I'm sure I resd somewhere about it ?

Not that I heard of...but you could be referring to the DSG gearbox which Porsche plans to use on their forthcoming 997 Carrera series licensed from Audi !

Now imagine the next G9 VR4 having either a 7 speed DSG or SMG gearbox ?
Those 0 to 60 mph, 0 to 100 mph and 1/4 mile acceleration should be impressive with those revolution gearbox ! :D